Sunday, April 21, 2024

I'm Smoking Again!!

 I probably shouldn't speak too soon, but the weather in California has returned to its historical self.  At least for the time being.  It's a gorgeous 57 degrees this morning.  That must be why these gazanias (thanks Dave and Ed) are finally blooming.  I've never in my life grown anything that looked this amazing.  If I can find some more, I'm putting them in ALL my flower beds.


It wasn't exactly a relaxing morning since I had to get my act together WAY too early for me.  Oh I get up VERY early, but I rarely ever leave the house before 10:00.  

I have to admit that the current group of Elks Officers are volunteers extraordinaire.  These guys have their act together!!  I arrived at the perfect time to give them the microphone system, but late enough they had already convinced my friend Kathy to sell raffle tickets.  I still ended up being the cash register since they forgot to bring something to put the money in, but that was okay.  It's what I do!

Almost 200 folks showed up this time.  I think that's a record.  Probably because Mother Nature put on a gorgeous show of sunshine.  This is our RV park out in the country.  If anyone is passing through (Elks member or NOT), you won't be disappointed with the green surroundings and the QUIET.


A short walk from the RV parking area is this huge building full of picnic tables, that turns into a pickle ball court if no events are happening.  No kidding, some company donated the entire thing ... including rackets and balls for our use.  There's horseshoes and any number of other games to keep you occupied too.  If you have a group come in with you, you can even use the kitchen to cook (for a fee I think).  Truly, I wish I had their stove in MY kitchen.


THIS was the free dinner for members.  Talk about a HUGE steak!  That paper plate is as big as they come!  Garlic bread?  No one has ever served THAT around here!  They did forget the sodas for those of us who don't drink beer, so I called one of the officers who just happened to still be at the store.  By the way, all the beer you could drink was free also.  I brought the entire steak home.


The raffle caused me some minor problems.  Three guys left, leaving their tickets for me to watch.  One more left, but came back just in time.  I was watching bundles of tickets for numbers.  AND THEY WON!  Every time I pulled out a ticket, I had two more bundles to watch.  In the end, we all won one item.  

Finally back home late in the afternoon, it was time to start smoking again.  This is one of my favorite things to do.  These big pork butts take some time, so it all started at 6 pm.  The butt went in and the smoke started rolling.  


Four hours later ... I can't believe I stayed up that late ... I turned the smoker off and set the oven timer for nine hours.  At 4:30 this morning, I was out with thermometer in hand to see how long before it was done to 180 degree perfection.  

YIKES!!  It was already there!!  I expected a couple more hours of relaxation before I frantically sprayed it with apple juice and wrapped it up.  Okay, not exactly apple juice.  I forgot to get some, so I sacrificed one of my Pepsi's for the occasion.  Our construction crew (most of them born in Mexico who later became citizens - legally) always used Pepsi when cooking pork.


And THEN I remember this is a bone in.  They cook faster!  I think it's okay, but it will sit in a cooler for a couple of hours to soak up the juices.  


I'll break it open, cut it in half and freeze most of it.  Oh yeah ... I'll be chowing down on pulled pork sandwiches for dinner!  I can't wait.  Is your mouth watering??  By the way, I will cut off the too-dark bark.  Though it does taste really good, I doubt it's healthy for you ... all that smoke and all!!

I'm happy to be smoking again!!!



14 comments:

  1. Pork looks amazing.
    You are amazing! Very talented.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to figure out how to make good pulled pork ... there's no place around here you can get it.

      Delete
  2. WOW!!! :) Now that you're SMOKING again, I'm hungry again!
    Having steak tonight....I'm a few days behind you!
    Beautiful flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit, I'm all about the smoker. Two more steaks and you should be caught up!!

      Delete
  3. Indy is a BIG pork eater...smoked or not! In fact, a little pork is part of her breakfast each day, no spices on it though. I like my Ribeye to be a bit smaller but much thicker...one of these days I am going to buy one of those Big Cowboy Bone-in Ribeye from Sams and cook it up, but it is hard to justify the $40 price tag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its Coopers favorite also, but he only gets a tiny bit from the very center. If I roast a pork loin in the oven, he sits by the door and waits for it to come out!! Bone-in ribeye? I bet it's a big one!

      Delete
  4. Yummy!! That pork looks awesome. Black and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually most of the black is the fat cap, and gets scraped off. On the bottom though ... it's called BARK and it's the best part of the pig.

      Delete
  5. Nancy you were very busy doing a lot of things from morning to night. Your steak and pork looked good.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm one of those people who just can't sit around much, though I'm working on learning that skill!!

      Delete
  6. Smokers are not an Aussie thing and I dxon't like smoked meat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? It is an acquired taste I think. VERY popular here, and it depends on who smokes it as to whether it's too strong of a flavor.

      Delete
  7. New thought and updates. Mr. Ed said why not pick some brain and remedy’s as for your stone dead lawn Here’s a suggestion for you.. as a castle accountant /bean counter . why not calling in some of your castle chips seeing how you have a castle which means you have to have a castle lawyer /attorney, why not sit down or call him and say hey this happened and how can I get it fixed? At the same time before you call your insurance company to pick brain
    you also have a castle insurance agent why not sit down /call with him and say, how would the insurance fix this? By doing that you should get pretty much the same answers. And you would have a better handle when dealing with the pesticide spill. Which technically could probably put the lawn pesticide company in deep💩
    If I do remember correctly, you have photos 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent idea. I'll ask around and see what I can find out. I'm also calling the local AG department today. I have one photo, which isn't the best ... but maybe it will help.

      Delete