Monday, April 29, 2024

Rewarded Traditions

 Good morning sunny California!  The weather could not be better.  At long last spring has arrived, which I'm sure will be followed by summer in just a few days.  50 degree nights are followed by 70 degree days. Woohoo!!!

I didn't get to appreciate any of it however, since I had an hour's drive out of town very early in the morning.  Over the years of being involved with the Elks Lodge, I've done my very best to NEVER attend any meetings other than our own.  So far I've succeeded 100%.

On this day however, I decided I should live up to tradition.  Have you ever seen any of those old pictures like this one from the 1880's?  In my mind, I always think of Alaska and the hardy miners gathering in groups like this to help each other survive.  In reality, it actually started in 1848 by 15 actors and entertainers as a social club for MEN only.  


In 1993, the Elks Lodges of Utah were faced with losing their liquor license if they did not allow women.  In 1995 all lodges were required to remove the word MALE from their membership requirements.  It caused quite a stir, with many men quitting the organization.  I can't blame them ... but in the end, our group has become bigger and better thanks to the gals who make up at least half our group.  At least that's what the remaining men say.

Traditions are a big thing at the Elks Lodge, and one is that of how the meetings are conducted.  As you can see, it requires tuxedos.  The different lodges in our area compete against each other to see who can win the prestigious Ritual Award.  This ritual is performed for every person who joins.  This happens to be my group, who for the second year in a row WON the Ritual Contest.

It's pretty prestigious since the entire ceremony (well over 30 minutes long) has to be spoken completely from memory with not a hesitation or mistake made.  These folks are elected at the end of March and have 30 days to learn their parts.  It's crazy hard!!


One of the reasons for this big meeting so early on a Sunday morning is to reward the different lodges for their hard work in several different categories.  They had me at donuts!!  I admit walking in the door and not knowing anyone was a little difficult for me, but soon my group arrived and my anxiety level dropped.


Even for this meeting (and every meeting) you have to dress up.  There's no slouching allowed.  Holding the trophy is our head dude (a retired fireman) and his second in command to the right, our newest County Supervisor.  I don't remember us winning since I joined in 2010.


Winner winner ... chicken dinner.  Our lodge came away big time winners.  It's really not about the trophies, it's about all the hard work it took to get here.  We were awarded for things like having the most new members in one year (over 200), giving out the most scholarships, an award for following protocol, and several other areas of good works.  

Each individual is also judged separately, and most of our guys came in first or second.  That's saying a lot considering how much they have to learn.  

It surprised me that some lodges only have 200 members.  We are by far the largest group in the central district.  Imagine ... little old Merced.


It was worth the long trip for the maple covered donut ... fresh from the bakery!!  Even the coffee was good!!!

The rest of the time was just a general meeting to remind everyone to send in reports.  It really wasn't the horribly boring thing it was made out to be.  I may even go to the NEXT one .... maybe!!

On the other hand, I discovered a bit of distressing news when I returned home.  It's okay, I'll survive, but it's why I was looking elsewhere for permanent lodging.   



10 comments:

  1. Congratulations on all of the awards. The Elks is an amazing organization.
    Hopefully everything is OK on the home front.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. CA is getting to you, huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha well of course! Got any good housing where you are ... with no neighbors?

      Delete
  3. The Dedication shows in all that beautiful hardware. Something truly to be proud of.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are very proud of them ... second year in a row.

      Delete
  4. Wow. What an honor to belong to such a great organization. Congratulations Merced!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It only takes ONE to ruin a neighborhood...sounds like you might have one of them? I only attended a couple Rotary District Conventions, found them a bit boring, although I like Hot Springs Arkansas where they normally were held.

    ReplyDelete