Monday, April 15, 2024

CAKE OVERLOAD!!

 Though I expected to see some sunshine when I looked out the windows this morning, alas there was only dark clouds.  I have to admit, I smiled.  That means a dark gloomy rainy day, my excuse to stay inside and do nothing.  I seem to be doing more and more of that lately, which is completely unacceptable.  That meant a nice long walk with the pooch.

Straight out of the door, he ran right into the flower beds, now full of 2 inches of water.  It bothers him not to get his feeties wet.  He walked the entire length in water without batting an eye, and we were off down the street.


By the time we got back, he had designated this his territory for half a mile in each direction.  He also owns every mailbox.  What a kid!!

Since I got up so late, I skipped breakfast, still full of cake from the night before.  You would think all that sugar would rev you up, but it has the opposite effect on me.  I saved up for lunch instead.

Here's the latest Hello Fresh meal, and the one I've been waiting for.  Barbara Westerfield made this for me when I visited them last.  I can't thank her enough, because this was an epic creation, taking lots of time and energy.  AND it was the best shepherds pie I've ever eaten.  


I have since learned it's probably "cottage" pie since it's not made with lamb.  (Thank you Elva). You actually get to choose which meat you use in these recipes.  I chose ground beef.  TA DA!!!  It even actually looks like the picture!

What makes this is the thyme ... one of my favorite herbs.  I could have eaten the entire thing if my stomach wasn't still full of cake, or rather frosting.


It's even better than my grandma made!  I know ... Elva told me I was throwing grandma under the bus, but this had carrots, celery and of course the thyme.  All my grandma's had was beef and peas.  This one has white cheddar cheese on top too!

I savored every bite of this one and I have three more servings!!  I will definitely be making this again.


Then I blew it all by having a piece of that cake.  Honestly, I've never had one with 1/2" frosting all over the outside, as well as inside.  Just thinking about all that grease I ate made me a little queasy.  I cut up the rest and put it in the freezer for a time when I'm craving sugar and crisco.  AND it was NOT as good as the cake we had on OUR table.  Just sayin'.......


That was pretty much it for the entire day, except for some exceptional rodeo going on in Nevada.  I sewed a little, but truly, that frosting slowed me down a bunch.

Later in the day, once his legs dried off, Mr. Cooper and I spent an hour together, trying to trim off some of his way-too-long poodle hair.  It begins to mat up if you don't brush it out every day.  He wasn't the least bit happy about it, fidgeting the entire time.  

I'm probably the WORST at it.  I use my old pair of horse clippers since the fancy dancy ones I bought just for the job, don't seem to work well at all.  Maybe it's just me.  

In no time I had hair all over the counter, the nearby chair and the floor, but he was done.  I took the towel he was standing on outside for a good shake.  Here's my hint of the day.  Never EVER shake the towel if there is even a HINT of a breeze.  By the time I was done, I had his hair all stuck in MY hair, as well as covering my black shirt and finding it's way up my nose.  Sneeze Sneeze!!

BUT ... isn't he CUTE??  He knows there's a treat coming, thus one foot up in the air.  It's his signature stance for "I'm so cute I need TWO treats"!!


Lucky for me, this time I actually have TWO days to rest up before Bingo ensues.  There's only two things on the to-do list at this time ... mail the taxes at the Post Office and call the Weedman about the dead grass.  They were supposed to come look in two weeks.  We are past that deadline.  Pictures tomorrow!!




12 comments:

  1. Oh poor Bubba use to get so matted if I did not cut him in time, and then it would require a #10 blade in the trimmer which took him down to nearly only skin...but there was no other way to deal with that much matting! Skruffy would get matted too, but not like Bubba. Lucky with Indy that she will have a spot or two but not much matting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't even see it with Cooper, but I can feel it. It was time.

      Delete
  2. Cooper is as cute as a bug!
    Remember I know a good gardener if you if need one.
    Have a good Monday!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Ma'am. I have his number on my desk!!! The Weedman who sprays my big corrals, made a BIG mistake. They have to pay for it!

      Delete
  3. Ok ok ok. I admit this Cottage Pie does sound better than grandma's. Cooper is even cuter with the leg up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stomping through the puddles must be a guy thing.
    All the food, Pie and Cake look tasty.
    Next time, you'll have to remember to have your back to the wind.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried that, but the wind was going in circles. Not so fun!

      Delete
  5. Cooper you are so darn cute! You are forgiven for running through the puddles! ♥
    Your shepherd's pie looks good. Made in a fry pan? never heard of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup ... frying pan, then under the broiler for a minute or two. VERY good!!

      Delete
  6. I haven't had cottage pie but I do like shepherd's pie which sounds like what you had as it beef not lamb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know which is which Jo-Anne, but I loved it!!! And it was made with beef.

      Delete