Saturday, December 12, 2020

Scammers Out In Force

 I woke this morning to rain dripping straight down the spout with a loud slapping noise when it hit bottom.  How does that happen?  Finally back to sleep, I had another of those weird dreams.  I was on top of a fuel tanker watching as the driver lit the fumes on fire to keep everything from exploding.  ??????

This time, it wouldn't light and I was in fear of exploding with the tank.  That's when the tank broke loose from the truck and I was suspended in mid air hanging on for dear life to the hose that connected the two.  Finally I hit the ground and RAN!!  I told you it was weird.

 Anyway, the doggies saved me by jumping on my back and waking me up.  It was breakfast time!!  Did I mention my dogs have turned into chickens also?

I had to tippy toe around the kitchen since company was sleeping in the far end of the house.  She comes down for haircuts from a dear friend and to check on her holdings.  Hotel Kissack affords a bed and puppy kisses.

The best part ... she brought an entire dinner from Applebees.  Ribs, mashed potatoes and broccoli.  It was especially delicious since I didn't have to cook it!!

 Here's a funny from Cooper.  The standing moose in the picture?  He wears round red shoes that Cooper insists are balls I should throw for him.  He barks at them and me constantly while I try to convince him they are NOT toys.  Silly boy!

 In the meantime, the scammers are out in force for Christmas.  One really big sign of them is when I receive three emails exactly alike just a few minutes apart.  They really should clean up their email list.  They stated my deposit did not go through and I was going to be overdrawn if I didn't click on their link and fill in the information.

 It just happens that I DID make a deposit, so I had to look twice.  Nope ... just a scam, but a very good one.  Their email had everything "Bank of America" on it and looked totally legit.  Don't be fooled.  No one will ever ask you to input your bank account number.  If they do, you should delete delete delete.

The next one was from FMCA ... Family MotorCoach Association who is over our Golden Spike Railroad group.  They must have hacked the email list.  It completely duplicated their site, down to the very last word and requested you sign in.  Verification was needed regarding the recent Covid 19 form required for rallies.  

This one was so legit looking it almost got me ... until it said I needed to pay my dues ... input your bank account number here.  I pay my dues two years in advance, so SCAM!!!!  Delete!!

I can just imagine how many people fall for these!  It's sad that scammers get away with this nonsense.

One more ... do not EVER order anything from the ads you see on Facebook.  Almost all of them are also scammers.  Case in point ..... Boundery sells solar motion-detected lights.  I saw them at an RV park and they worked really well.  I ordered 8 to get the better deal and planned to use them in Arizona.

 


When I got to the end of the order, it wanted me to order two more for another $50.  No way .... but it would not let me OUT of the screen, nor would it let me CANCEL the order.  I closed out the screen, knowing full well I was in trouble.

I called their number and told the lady to cancel everything.  She even sent an email saying it was canceled.  Then I got another email saying the "cart" was full, did I want to finish the transaction.  That was a big NO.

Sure enough, the charge showed up on my bank account.  I called and disputed it.  In about three days, I was lucky ... the lights actually showed up.  Others I have talked to did not receive anything.  In the end, I got the lights for free since the bank took the money back, along with an apology from Boundery.  I was VERY lucky.

In other wonderful news, I too seem to be having troubles uploading pictures.  I don't know if it's my really slow MiFi or if that last Firefox update (which I did) doesn't work well with my older Yosemite Operating System Program.  

The video refused to load completely and pictures take at least five minutes each.  My new computer will be here on December 14th ... Merry Christmas to me!!  We shall see if it works any better.


 

7 comments:

  1. Did I hear you say you didn’t like Google or Chrome

    Blogger is an American blog-publishing service that allows multi-user blogs with time-stamped entries. It was developed by Pyra Labs, which was bought by Google in 2003. The blogs are hosted by Google and generally accessed from a subdomain of blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now there may be a little trick you might want to try if you haven’t done it already
      How To Fix iPhone Apps As well as on your laptop desktop/// This also includes your photos that you’re trying to upload
      Turn Your iPhone Off And Back On
      It’s simple, but turning your iPhone off and back on can resolve hidden software issues that may be preventing your apps from opening correctly. When you turn off your iPhone, the operating system shuts down all the little background programs that help your iPhone to run. When you turn it back on, they all start fresh, and sometimes that’s enough to fix a software glitch

      Is The App Ancient? When Was The Last Time It Was Updated?
      There are over 1.5 million apps in the App Store, and not all of them are kept up-to-date. The software code that runs iPhone apps changes every time Apple releases a new version of iOS. Usually the changes aren’t too drastic, but if an app hasn’t been updated in years, there’s a good chance it’s incompatible with your version of iOS.
      If you recently upgraded to a new version of iOS, especially if it was a major upgrade, like going from iOS 13 to iOS 14 (not 14.2 to 14.2.1, for example), this may explain why your app
      To find out when an app was last updated, open the App Store on your iPhone. Search for the app and tap Version History to see when the app’s update history.
      Another way to test for this is to ask a friend with the same model iPhone and iOS version to download and open the app. If the app works on their iPhone, we know there’s a software problem with yours. If the app doesn’t open on their iPhone, there’s a problem with the app itself.
      Unfortunately, if an app is too old to run on a newer version of iOS, there’s nothing you can do to make it work. Your best bet is to contact the app developer and ask if they’re planning to release an updated version.


      Delete The App And Reinstall It
      The idea that you should delete the app from your iPhone and redownload it from the App Store is the first thing most technicians will instruct you to do. It’s the “unplug it and plug it back in” school of thought, and a lot of the time it works.
      I think it’s a good place to start too, but I don’t want to get your hopes up. Ask yourself, “Are all of my apps not opening, or is it a problem with just one app?”
      * If only one of your apps won’t open, there’s a good chance that deleting the app from your iPhone and reinstalling it from the App Store will fix the problem.
      * If many of your apps won’t open, I don’t recommend you delete and reinstall all of them, because it’s probably a waste of time. Instead, we’ll have to address the underlying cause, which is the iPhone’s operating system (iOS).

      Delete
    2. I use google, only because of the blog. Otherwise, I do not use google or chrome for anything. I have an Apple computer, not a Windows computer, so they do not work well at all. As for the phone, deleting and reinstalling an app works sometimes, but not this time. In the past they would make sure app upgrades worked with all versions, but now they do not. Two of my bank apps were not even visible in the "store" to download unless I had iOS 14. I could get a new phone, but it has to be an iPhone for me to keep my unlimited everything account. That's $1000 ... a little pricey.

      Delete
  2. Nice to have an 'Adult' around to talk with, that's for sure. Yes, scammers abound. I get two to three scam calls each day, block each one of them. Verizon has a nice scam blocker, but only for smart phones...it is an app...so I have to use the block which comes with my phone. Interesting thing, if they call, it rings on their end, but not my end. They 'can' leave a message, but I rarely get a scammer who leaves a voice message. Marcia gets email scams, I rarely do. Most of hers are itunes and ebay and paypal. The sender is always something like administrator@xyz1234.com (with the xyz1234 being random letters and numbers)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get over 100 email scams every single day. As to the phones, I block all of them too, but still get a couple of calls a day.

      Delete
  3. It's cute that if it is round it has to be a Ball for Cooper.
    Only had a couple of those in all my years doing this but it's nice you pass the warning along.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the warmth.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get hundreds of email scams every day, probably because I've had this account for many years.

      Delete