Thursday, December 17, 2020

No Zooming For Me

I was so excited this week when I got a call from my old College Photography teacher Jeff.  He has spent the year trying to pare down his classroom courses to be able to provide them online.  It's one of those Zoom things.  By the way, since school is OUT, zoom is in and has garnered the owner over $12 billion (that's billion with a B) in this last year only.  Even more interesting, he is from China, just to get your thought processes going.

Anyway, I really didn't want to get involved with zoom, but being able to see the latest results of Jeff's classes and give them a little critique is very special.   I ALWAYS show up, no matter what.  On this day however, it just wasn't going to happen.  

My internet service only works from 3-5:00 in the morning because only us chickens are awake.  Even then, I seem to be having a hard time signing in.  No matter what I did, I could not get my internet faster than a very sick tortoise.  

Just throwing this image out there .... this is at the Salton Sea.


 This is me trying to get it set up.  I had hoped I might use my iphone.  I did sign in, but alas, you can't SEE anything on your phone, only hear the conversation.  It doesn't bode well for critiquing photography when you can't SEE. 


 It actually was the expected ending to an otherwise imperfect day.  In the morning I quickly tried to get rid of all the junk hanging out in various corners, just in case the Alarm Installation guy was single.  You just never know.  

And then I waited ......... and waited .......... and finally called the set-up gal who insisted I call the office.  Well that's funny, they don't have me on their schedule at all.  GREAT!!!  All that stuffing things out of sight and no one is going to show up.

I wasted an entire half a day sitting around waiting.  Apparently she made the appointment for TODAY when I won't be home instead of YESTERDAY.  That's just my luck, right?  It's now scheduled for Friday.  This image is just to remind me to take a deep breath. 

That's it ... that's all I did yesterday.  At least I got a couple of loads out to the rig, but they were minimal.  Maybe I'll show you a few pictures of our trip to Costa Rica ... Mrs. Patty Chance and I.  We signed up for this trip, not being able to attend any of the preparation meetings, meaning we didn't know what the heck we were in for.  

This was our transportation for an extra 3-day adventure into the jungle where there is NO transportation other than your legs.  We did think it funny that we two were the only ones in our group who added the 3-day trip.  That should have been a really big flashing neon sign, but we missed it.  

Those are propane bottles being loaded onto the same flat bottom boats because there's no other way for the locals to cook.  It rained, as in not only cats and dogs but hippos and elephants, almost the entire time we were there. 


Since most haven't seen or heard about our little excursion into the depths of unexplored jungle, I'll post a picture here and there.  

In the meantime, it's a bookkeeping day for me, closing up my clients books for the year.  Here's hoping it goes better than yesterday.
 


 

18 comments:

  1. Now days, I think if I ever made it to Costa Rica, I would not come back...just saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would join the huge number of expatriots there also.

      Delete
  2. Just an update if you haven’t seen it At that rate it’ll probably be September or November before we get shot
    Arizona
    450k peoplefirst in line
    3.02Mprioritized
    7.28Mtotal
    58k doses expected to ship initially
    440k by end of year
    Over the last week, Arizona has seen an average of 6,660 confirmed cases and 64 deaths per day. Arizona has the 3rd most confirmed cases per capita among states and D.C. during the same period.
    Arizona is expected to get about 58,000 doses in the first set of Pfizer vaccines. If the Moderna vaccine is approved, the state could get a total of 440,000 doses before the end of the year. That is enough to vaccinate 6.1 percent of the state population.
    The state has approximately 350,000 health-care workers and 96,000 nursing home residents and workers, and the number of doses expected in December is almost enough to give them a single dose by the end of the year. The vaccine requires a follow-up booster about three or four weeks after the first shot.
    First in line
    350kHealth-care workers
    96kNursing home residents
    Second in line
    270kEssential workers
    170kTeachers
    47kFirst responders
    Third in line
    1.9MWith preexisting conditions
    200kAge 65+
    Note: prioritization shown is based on the CDC advisory committee's guidance

    California
    2.36M peoplefirst in line
    15Mprioritized
    39.5Mtotal
    330k doses expected to ship initially
    1.8M by end of year
    Over the last week, California has seen an average of 32,802 confirmed cases and 177 deaths per day. California has the 5th most confirmed cases per capita among states and D.C. during the same period.
    California is expected to get about 330,000 doses in the first set of Pfizer vaccines. If the Moderna vaccine is approved, the state could get a total of 1,800,000 doses before the end of the year. That is enough to vaccinate 4.5 percent of the state population.
    The state has approximately 1,700,000 health-care workers and 640,000 nursing home residents and workers, and the number of doses expected in December is not enough to give them a single dose by the end of the year. The vaccine requires a follow-up booster about three or four weeks after the first shot.
    First in line
    1.7MHealth-care workers
    640kNursing home residents
    Second in line
    1.7MEssential workers
    1MTeachers
    200kFirst responders
    Third in line
    9MWith preexisting conditions
    720kAge 65+

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if the people who have the virus go into the hospital are single and have pets who takes care of their pets for a week or two or a life interesting question ????

      Delete
    2. Yup lots of numbers, but I'm not interested. No shots for me. The numbers are off, possibly up to 50% because they accounted every death to covid, no matter what the REAL cause was, not to mention invalid testing and false negatives.

      Delete
  3. Great selfie! I forget if you use your mifi or if you have wifi..ours has really slowed down, so I called and they had me turn off and reboot our router, really made the difference! Love the swing pic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea if I had a router. Mine is just a little device you can hold in your hand. It picks up the signal like your phone does. Sadly I'm too far away from the tower.

      Delete
  4. Lovely selfie! You don't look like things are going badly with that smile! :D Atta girl, you're resilient and can wait until Friday for the cute attic guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patsy!! I do try to stay on the upside most of the time.

      Delete
  5. Wow! Mister Ed has facts! Sorry your knight in shining armor didn't show and zoom didn't zoom 😞 At least no skunks and I got to read about your Amazon exploits. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They came out of the Washington post Normally cost money to read but this is something that they opened up for free on this article it covers all the states If you want to see other states you can find it on the WP website it’s a good thing you don’t live In the Philippines or Malaysia they’re looking at five years for vaccination

      Delete
    2. Thank you Doug .... I am happy there are no skunks, believe me!! The Amazon exploits were beyond belief.

      Delete
  6. It seems to happen to everyone. Companies make appointments saying what Day not the Time they will show up and don't.
    Hoping the Second time is better.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's that service thing. No biggie, I guess she just made it for the wrong day.

      Delete
  7. Out here in Wellton we get time frames of "sometime in the next 2 weeks". They do show up but no phone call to let you know....they just show up. And I thank God they do! I would love to hear more about Costa Rica.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes!! I guess they figure you don't have anywhere to go and you will be waiting for them!!

      Delete
  8. Lovely selfie, I really love your hair. What a great picture on the Salton Sea. Sounds like quite the adventure in Costa Rico.
    Hope the alarm installation guy turns out to be worth the wait...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb ... Costa Rica was an amazing place to visit. It's a good thing we really didn't know where we were. Details later.

      Delete