Tuesday, December 15, 2020

MY PRECIOUS!!!

There are many MANY ways to become frustrated.  I'm an expert at it.  It would help tremendously if the computer people would give you the once over upon purchase of their machines.  It seems now they just mail them to you and you're on your own.

At any rate HERE SHE IS!!!  My PRECIOUS, a beauty to be sure with her cute little apple on the front.  This is as far as I got before heading outside to confront my gutters.

 The first order of business was cleaning out that leaf stuffed gutter.  In my defense, the entire roof on the front of the house drains to one little gutter about 20 feet wide.  I drug the tall ladder from the garage and set up in three inches of water standing in the flower bed.  

I crawled up in anticipation of this being a quick pull-the-leaves-from-the-gutter hat trick.  I almost broke my finger as I jammed it into the leaves which turned out to be solid mud, filling the entire gutter to the brim.  There were maybe ten leaves.

Good grief ... how does that happen?  I threw plop after plop of goo onto the ground, which splashed goo and water everywhere.  Those gutter screens they make would keep the leaves out, but the dirt would just flow right through and I'd be taking the screens off to get the mud out.  What a mess!!

When I was done, I had to get a hose to wash the side of the house and the ladder.  I thought I was clean as a whistle, until I went inside to get the bleach to sanitize the water tank.  I changed into another old pair of jeans so I didn't get dirt everywhere.

 

 
 
This job involves bleach and a long hose.   It happens that my water hose has a tendency to leak if I take it on and off ... so I just leave it connected.  If you drain the water in the hose .... a daunting proposition .... you can just pour the bleach in the end and hook it up to the faucet.  Turn the water on and it pushes all the bleach into the tank.  Easy peasy.

Sadly for me, it never seems to work out QUITE that easy.  The water mostly refuses to leave the hose in spite of my contortions to make myself six feet tall.  I held it up, dumping out every drop I could.  Then I carefully poured the bleach into the hose end.  

It has worked once out of maybe ten times.  I try to raise it again to let the bleach run into the hose, but I always seem to end up with it below the correct level and bleach pours out the end of the hose all over my clothes and shoes.  

In no time I had bleach everywhere, but I hooked up the hose and turned on the water.  I then ran in the house and changed BACK into the dirty jeans so I could throw those in the wash before bleach holes magically appeared.

Dump fill dump fill and finally we were done with THAT job.  Honestly I don't know how sanitized the tank really is, but I don't drink or cook with it anyway.  Even the puppies get bottled water.

Back inside, I was ready for the unveiling of my Precious.  There are absolutely no instructions whatsoever.  I didn't even know what button to push to turn it on.  It's larger than my current computer but has fewer buttons.  Finally it came to life with this image.

I knew I probably should not do anything since my plan is to download programs from this computer to the new one.  Wouldn't you know, I can't do a backup because the only external hard drive I have that works with this computer is in Arizona.  

It didn't help that it was evening and I had no internet connection whatsoever.  I did notice you can talk to Precious ... record notes and write letters just by speaking.  Here's another one ... you cannot get in to the computer unless you have the correct fingerprint.  That is a truly bad idea.  My fingerprint degrades over time making it hard to open even my phone.  Pretty unsanitary sounding, but if you lick your finger, it will work.

 SO frustrating that I can't play with Precious.  There's no use messing with things until I download what I really need.  Besides, my internet connection in Arizona is excellent.  It will be interesting to see if my new upgraded browser works with Google or if I have to download Firefox.  What's a little more frustration!!


 And so Precious sits on the coffee table where I can admire her.  

I again had trouble getting into Google this morning.  Although this has never been a problem before, and I have not changed ANY settings, Google now thinks I have cookies turned off so it refused to log me in!!  I kept getting the we've-never-heard-of-you-or-your-email-address message.

After several attempts, it finally let me in.  Oh the joys of frustration!!!  The good news is that it gets my heart rate up without ever taking one little step!!



16 comments:

  1. Congrats on Precious! You're a brave girl to get up on the ladder like that! I don't like the fingerprint thing! So far I own nothing like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very careful with ladder. I make doubly sure they are not going to move.

      Delete
  2. Wonder if you are going to face any updates with that new computer before it works right? Hope you leave Cal before it gets shutdown even more...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no doubt the very first order of business will be an update. They can shut down California all they want. They cannot keep people from going where they want to go.

      Delete
  3. I do not envy your challenges with the gutter NOR the laptop. I love having a new computer BUT I despise getting it set up. You're right, even in the stores "here ya go, enjoy your new laptop!" The tecky guy needs to follow you home.
    Good luck, it IS pretty. :)
    ps - I thought the blog posting was going to be about Cooper or Jesse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one big Precious. You'll be able to see my pictures in great detail that's for sure. Cleaning gutters is no fun especially when the bulk is mud 😒 at least you're done for awhile. What did you do to make Google disown you? 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I said some bad words about them and Facebook! LOL

      Delete
  5. Good Luck with your new Computer. Since you'll be doing all your Internet upgrade in Arizona maybe you should upgrade your Phone and Watch before you leave there again.
    Google had a crash the other day so that could be your problem on hat front.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly my idea ... upgrade everything in Arizona. I heard there was a crash .. I imagine that was it.

      Delete
  6. First of all I do not know if you go back to comments you make on other blogs to see if they reply, I am still catching up, but just so you know you are welcome to boondock by Tom and I any time. I should just admit I will always be behind...lol
    So cute hugging his stuffed animal.
    I had to download a new browser this morning to get into my Gmail and thus my blog, I randomly chose Chrome, and now my caption thing works again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems they are upgrading everything to catch up with phone technology. Sure is a pain. Glad you got Chrome to work. One of these days I'll come join you in the desert .... way far away unless I get solar.

      Delete
  7. I'm glad my MacBook Air lets me choose to use a password instead of a fingerprint. I have peeling fingertips so they never look the same two days in a row.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine this one will let me change it. I hope so anyway. I did have to enter both my fingerprint and a password. Now if I can only remember it.

      Delete
  8. Before you do any upgrades Do you self a big favor go to school
    I’m sure they could teach an old dog a new trick
    Apple Stores offer free workshops for the company's core products and services. You can take classes to pick up tips and tricks for using the iPhone and iPad, the Mac, the Apple Watch, iCloud, Apple Music, and iWork. ... Each class is free, lasts for 60 or 90 minutes, and is taught by an Apple Store product expert
    And yes because of the virus they send it to you but they should have sent it to the store and the same time. booked your a class You’ll learn more out of that class then you will if u hit and miss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh I didn't know that one. Great idea! When I get to Arizona I'll check it out. It would help to know some of the tricks.

      Delete