Monday, December 7, 2020

All Is Not Quiet

 Another fascinating day packed to the brim with exciting happenings.  Okay, not so much, but all is not quiet on the Western Front.  It was cook-for-the-kids day here at Buzzards Roost, so named because the buzzards used to roost here for the winter.  As you can imagine, they eat a lot of dead stuff.  What goes in, comes out in my corrals and on my lawn.  You know how doggies like to roll in dead things?  Lucky for me, they have moved a block over to a larger stand of trees.

Anyway, I spent the morning Instant-Potting some beef for Cooper.  He doesn't get it all however.  I chopped up half of it and whipped up a stew in my crock pot.  A very SMALL stew since I can get burnt out on my cooking fairly quickly.  Next time I'll buy the low salt mushroom soup.  Woohoo it's WAY too salty for my taste.

 
Rather than have to wash the instant pot twice, I threw in a chicken breast too.  There was lots of chopping and hacking when all that meat was cooked.  It goes in the freezer in small containers.  Did I mention how persnickety Cooper is?   One small bowl lasts about four days.  By the fourth day, he's turning his nose up because it's been in the fridge too long.  Can't say as I blame him ... I wouldn't eat it either.
 

I made a quick Sunday morning run to the grocery store where we have lots of toilet paper if anyone is in need.  The shelves are completely full of everything.  Maybe aluminum foil is a little low .. what do you suppose they use THAT for??  Warding off little green men?

At any rate, I put off finishing the wash job as long as I could.  Back up on the ladder, I began to spot problems.  RATS!!  Maybe it's time to sell this beast.  It seems several places on the roof need to be recaulked, as do several of the windows.  On one trim piece, the paint is peeling.  Nothing that isn't fixable, it will just weigh on my shoulders until I get it repaired.

You can't see how pretty she is because by the time I got 3/4 of the way around, it was dark.  Even though I plan on moving, it might be worth it to put up an RV cover.  It sure would save me hours of hard work.


I spent the rest of the evening watching the Hallmark channel and wondering why Prince Charming has never knocked on my door like they do in the movies.  I finally turned it off, which is when the excitement began.

BOOM!!!  I mean to tell you it was the loudest I've ever heard ... like someone threw a bomb in my back yard. Sadly, I think that is exactly what happened.  It's crazy.  Ever since July 4th there have been M-80's (maybe even bigger) set off about twice a month.  I've no idea why, but I guess they think it's funny.

Most often they have been far away from me .... remember that big boom I heard last time you thought was a jet?  Someone is driving around setting them off.  Neighbors have called the Sheriff, but they can do nothing about it, so it continues to happen.  Funny, it's in about a six square block area and only since the eight house subdivision behind me has been occupied.  I'm sure there is no way we will catch them.  How maddening!!  So now I'm looking for boxes and I'm going to start packing.  Enough is enough.

On the OTHER front, I checked out the second skunk freeway that I covered up, only to find SOMEONE has been digging there.  Must be baby number two because the hole is much smaller.  So I've again set up the trap and the camera.  Big sigh!

Oh for the old days when it was quiet .........


 

 
 

12 comments:

  1. Was I not right in my description of the movies on the Hallmark channel?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like most humans animals do get tired of the same old same old. We always tried to have a variety in stock so Mr. T didn't turn his nose up at it.
    If someone is driving around in a pickup with a open topped barrel that could be your culprit. The Barrel will amplify the sound.
    Good luck on shutting down your highway.
    Be Safe washing the Beast and Enjoy the finished results.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of dogs getting tired of what they were eating, but you are right. So far I haven't seen a thing skulking around my back yard.

      Delete
  3. Oh that stew looks amazing! Makes me want to get one in the crockpot! Had a good laugh over the aluminum foil!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the foil companies are making toilet paper instead of foil.

      Delete
  4. I don't know what is wrong with people. Every area I keep track of has people complaining about fireworks and gun shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think because they keep shutting down the big displays everyone used to go to, that people have decided to do it themselves.

      Delete
  5. Yuma would gobble up chicken if it was rotting. He's not smernickity:)) You would think someone's door camera would catch the bombers if you live in a neighborhood. Yuma would hate that sound. The RV looks clean to me. You can rest now.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Jessie is like Yuma. She will eat anything. We think one camera caught the car, but it was too blurry to see the license plate.

      Delete
  6. For the past three weeks we have been hearing fireworks going off too a couple of times per week. Early last week it was a huge BOOM (much like you heard). Now the fire station is so close that we can hear them call out the name and address of emergencies, but they did not send out a truck or anything. Sometimes the bangs sound like gunfire, but again, no police sirens so they must be firecrackers. Can't wait to hear what is going to go on around the 31st.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here ... no sirens and no one is called out. One of the neighbors said they tried, but the Sheriff wouldn't come out. There was no way they could see who was doing it after the fact. Maddening!!

      Delete