Monday, July 6, 2020

Losing The Skunk War ......

Honestly, I would much rather be writing about my cooking disasters and cemetery burials than these brats that have invaded my back yard.  By the way, none of these photos are of my nemesis.  They are nocturnal, only coming out at night to eat and destroy like mini Sherman tanks.

It's very dark when I go spelunking in the morning with my flashlight and a can of wasp spray.  These guys are VERY black and pretty much not visible until you are right on top of them.  My camera would never focus, so pictures of the culprits are not available.  These all came from the internet.
So here's one side of my back yard, the other side being just as large and to the left.  That very long wooden fence in the back on the right is the line drawn in the sand.  Skunks are very destructive and have completely covered these two area with holes big enough to break an ankle.  Ask me how I know.
I inspected my work on Saturday morning, only to find two more holes.  I spent another two hours dragging heavy chain link panels over to the fence.  I knew it would happen ... there was just too much space between panels.
The next suggestion I received was shooting the thing, which I'm reticent to do.  I actually am in a small subdivision next to another small subdivision and don't think shooting would be so safe.  On to the NEXT suggestion.  Moth balls keep ALL skunks away.

I spent an hour walking around the store trying to find the things.  You would think I could have smelled them.  Nope ... my nose is full of skunk.  Finally, $15 later, I had two small bags.  I waited until dark and spread them very carefully all along the fence line.  Woohoo those stink!!

Here's another example of the holes they dig.  Luckily they haven't dug up my lawn yet, I think because they can smell the dog's territory, if you know what I mean.
Let me just say I have called the County, the State and the Feds, all of whom have refused help.  I'm told they will go after all kinds of other critters, but they have all told me NO.

SO .... next morning, I'm out with my shorts and cowboy boots in the dark (I have to admit I'm rather liking this new skunk hunting outfit) and found nothing.  Well ... maybe the moth balls worked.  I fed the dogs, but decided to double check before I let them out.  THERE HE IS!!!!  I hit him with the wasp spray.  Yes, just the thought bothers me, but I'm at my wits end.  He ran.  I RAN FASTER!!!

He finally turned and tried to spray me .... TAKE THAT little buddy ... I can spray much more and LONGER THAN YOU!!!  He turned around and took a big hit.  I covered him up!!!!  I made loud stamping noises with my feet, yelled to get the heck out of Dodge, and off he ran across the corral.  Who knew skunks could run that fast?
I was back to dragging more panels out to the fence.  Lucky for me, my neighbor saw my problems on Facebook and volunteered her two boys to help me move them.  Last night we put out four more.  I even drug out two big heavy poolside lounge chairs and turned them upside down along the fence.

The good news is there will not be moth one in my back yard.

At this point there is maybe 15 feet at each end that is not covered, with a couple of 12 inch spaces in between.  I have no doubt it will find the spaces!!

I'm happy to report I did not find any skunks lurking around in the dark THIS morning.  Once the sun rises, I'll go check the fence line again.  I've got my fingers crossed that between the wasp spray bath and the covered fence line, he won't be back.  Hope springs eternal!!
In the meantime, I really don't have time for this.  I'll be out of here tomorrow morning.  No doubt the skunk will celebrate his good luck at having the run of the place for the next few weeks.

Skunks 5  .....  Nancy 4







12 comments:

  1. Nice of your neighbor to send her boys over to help you out :) You think there would be a way to get rid of those skunks. Sure am hoping while you're gone they'll find someplace else to go! Love your skunk hunting outfit! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit the skunk hunting outfit is cool, as in not hot, but I don't think you find me outside the FRONT door.

      Delete
  2. Hopefully that will be the end of the skunk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Jan ... maybe I just need ten bags instead of two!!

      Delete
  4. You got to get rid of that tangled grass between the fence an in the paddock as well looks like a prime jungle for critters to hide There vulnerable out in the open and they don't like that, has your lawn guy rototill it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup that mess has to go. It's all from the neighbor's trees. I've had it done twice now, to the tune of $500 each. Actually the skunk stays somewhere outside my fence. I've gone through that section with a pitchfork and found nothing.

      Delete
  5. Finding more Moth Balls and Wasp Spray seem to be your best defense so far.
    The Pellet Gun does not have the range of a Bullet which is safer for the neighbours and it makes little noise.
    Be Safe and Enjoy your road trip.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had a pellet gun before. Will it kill it or just sting it a lot? Either way, I'm trying it.

      Delete
  6. I love the view from your back yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a nice view. It's the perfect sight for morning coffee.

      Delete