Friday, July 31, 2020

Beep Beep .... Beep!!

Spring has sprung in the desert with all the babies being born.  The number of quail and dove are through the roof.  By the time summer gets here, it's the teenage years where everyone grows up.  Here's the latest and greatest model of the beep beep beep roadrunner.  Look at that tail!!

I love to watch roadrunners scurry across the desert floor with their tails whipping up and down.  I'm NOT a fan of their diet however.  They can eat all the bugs they want, but leave the baby birds alone.
I caught him yesterday eyeing the dove nest in my palm tree.  When I looked up, what should I see but momma feeding a baby.  In all the years they have nested there, I have NEVER seen a baby.  Sadly she covered him up immediately and I didn't get any pictures!  RATS!!

In other news, the dash air on my rig was fixed, but parts to replace the hitch wiring did not come in.  Turns out, according to the radio, yesterday was almost a record setting day for heat.  No kidding ... it was 110 on my patio, 110 in my car and 115 in the rig.  How do I know that?  I couldn't get ahold of anyone, so I drove down to see what was happening.

I have become really good friends with the gal who runs the cashier/scheduling office.  I COULD have sent Zach a text message had I not accidentally erased his number.  I hate it when I do that!  Honestly, I thought it would magically appear like all those scam calls, but not this time!!

With parts not in and my rig sitting outside in the sun, completely closed up, he suggested I could take her home.  Even if the parts came in today, it wouldn't be fixed until Monday.  They brought her to the front and I went inside.   

OMG it was HOT!  I grabbed the fridge door handle to see if it was still on and I actually burned my hand from the heat, like grabbing a hot pot off the stove.  YIKES!!!  I hooked up quickly, turned on the overhead fans and headed off home.

The good news is the dash air blasted away the entire time ..... COLD.  YAY!!!  The other good news is at this point my bill is only $300 which I don't even have to pay until the work is complete.  In the meantime, I heard a very loud BEEP.
Really?  It's the CO2 monitor.  Good grief ... it must be because it's been completely closed up.  I hit the button.  BEEP!!  It beeped all the way home.  Once parked back in her cave and having cooled down a tad, I decided see why the monitor was continually irritating me with a beep so loud I could hear it INSIDE my house.

I grabbed a flashlight and laid down on the floor to read what it said.  Two green flashes followed by two red flashes and BEEP ..... means it has expired ... died from Covid 19 I'm sure.  Sadly, it continues to tell me it's dead with BEEP BEEP BEEP!!

I finally got Zach's number and sent him a message that it needed to be replaced.  No problem he said, he thought they kept those in stock.  Let's hope so.  Until then, I've got at last three days of BEEP left before it can be fixed.  I may just have to get out my screwdriver and side cutters!

In the meantime, I'll be locked in the house with my AC running 24/7.  This is the prediction for the week.  Someone forgot to tell Arizona that this is monsoon season ..... time for all that rain!!!  The radio predicted 111 today, so I should be happy it may only get to 108!!  
I think I'll park my patio chair INSIDE so I can look out at the water station all day.  The outside temp at 5 am was 81.  It's a good day to be socially distant!!



18 comments:

  1. Roadrunners are so cool, aren't they, like the avian version of the pushmepullyou animal in Dr. Doolittle. Their bland camouflage makes them blend in with the landscape everywhere except for on their face where there's that colorful toucan bill shape going the other direction from their eye, like a backwards beak. They can fake out their prey that way, I guess, & convince them they have nothing to worry about & should just stay where they are because the mini-toucan beak is headed the other way, and then WHAM! Roadrunner lunch! Mother nature has a real mischievous streak sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All right on the money Leilani!! I just love to watch them flip their tails ... and FAST as lightning!!! I'd just rather they not eat the baby birds!!

      Delete
  2. Another interesting fact about Roadrunners is they like to eat Rattlesnakes and are very good at killing them.
    Changing out a CO2 Detector is as easy as replacing the Plug for your toad.
    Be Safe in the AC and Enjoy the Watering Station sights.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard that ... maybe that's why I rarely ever see one around here!!! Yup ... I'm thinking of changing that detector out myself ... maybe ... okay not. I'll let the experts do it.

      Delete
  3. I bet you could change out the detector yourself. Watch a you tube instruction and give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I removed the last one that was in there ... had to cut it out. I could probably do this one too, but they used some special tool on the screws that I don't think I have.

      Delete
  4. Yuma.. 118 with high humidity. No bueno. Love the picture of the roadrunner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Elva .... no bueno, especially if you are in an RV!

      Delete
  5. So much for keeping it plugged in??? Or was the fridge cold, you did not say. I still need to replace our CO2 monitor, but one I have has three wires, one I got has two, so since mine is not beeping, it is something to look into later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fridge was cold, it was the outside handle that so hot!! My old one had two wires, this one I have no idea.

      Delete
  6. Love the roadrunner picture! I hate that incessant beeping when it happens! Gosh darn, hot temps! Uhh I'm so ready for Fall, other than I'd like to get out on kayaks a couple of more times! Congrats on the air being fixed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That beeping drives me crazy too ... hoping to find that weird kind of screwdriver to get it out and cut the wires.

      Delete
  7. Here' Is a simple five year olds remedy to the heat
    Go get your lawn sprinkler spread out your lawn chair turn the sprinkler on run like hell and lay down on the chair oh I forgot to say clothes are optional just remember every time the sprinkler comes around you'll cool off no how cool is that
    Does your place have an outside shower ?? if not why not get one in the summertime you never need hot water just cold water is fine. It's refreshing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's a GREAT idea! It's either that or fill up the horse trough!

      Delete
  8. That is the prettiest road runner I've ever seen! You are so fortunate to have him in your neighbourhood. And don't think I missed the pretty little quail in the background. :)
    Good luck with the beeping. Maybe your coach is just letting you know that it missed its lovely cooling shelter. Or is there a roadrunner caught under the body?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope ... no roadrunner underneath ... it's that detector giving me fits. I suppose it's a good thing it lets you know when it needs to be replaced, but REALLY!!!! I'm glad you caught the quail. He was hiding.

      Delete
  9. They should only be two screws holding the CO2 monitor take the screws out pop the plug off the back put in an Amazon order for a replacement of the Like kind and put it back piece of cake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did finally get the screws out ... and it is definitely something "I" can do using the same connectors I used for the drip irrigation system. Who knew??

      Delete