Sunday, July 5, 2020

Just The Word I Didn't Want To Hear .... FIRE!!

Well THAT was an interesting fourth of July.  I was hoping the FOURTH would be with me, but that was not to be.

It started about 8:30 with the bombs going off, literally shaking the ground around here.  I just find it hard to believe people want to set off fireworks when there is dry grass literally everywhere.  I patrolled my corral for over two hours, just to be sure if there WAS a fire, I caught it early.

Suddenly there was a WHAP right next to me.  What the heck?  Keep in mind, there were no houses setting off fireworks within 400 yards of my house.  I was extremely lucky that it hit the concrete and NOT my dry grass yard or my head.

Sirens were going off everywhere, one at the end of my street.  I watched as the flashing lights went not even a quarter mile before I spotted the smoke.  The siren stopped and soon the smoke disappeared.
It seems my little neighbors wanted to get a good start on the festivities too.  This would be the 16 year old high school kid with all his friends.  I heard them in the garage next door, but they were being quiet.  I gave them the benefit of the doubt.  Wrong Nancy ..... WRONG!

Apparently they wandered off two houses down to the water basin for a little smoke.  About 10:30, huge flames could be seen as high as a house and thankfully, the sirens were wailing again.  They got it out in no time.

It's funny, the boys said they saw the fire and a Jeep take off real fast before grabbing buckets and trying to put the fire out themselves.  Sound suspicious?

Someone got scared and luckily called the Fire Department.  A little too coincidental for us neighbors.  A good portion of the basin behind the melted fence was burned.
The blasting went on all around me until about 1:00 am when it finally stopped.  Gosh those guys must have a lot of money to burn on fireworks.  It seriously sounded like a war zone.  There were three HUGE shows like you would see at the Fairgrounds, only all those shows were cancelled this year.  This was all from backyard dummies who know not what they are doing.  Scary!!

To add insult to injury, it is now SKUNKS 5, NANCY 2.  Yes, we had yet another big confrontation this morning!!!  I'm afraid it's just going to continue forever, especially since I'll be leaving shortly and they will have the run of the back yard.
I'm bummed!!!  Yes I could shoot the little bugger, but I'm leery of shooting in a neighborhood full of houses.  Anything could happen ... a ricochet off a rock and BAM ... I'd be in jail.  That would be my luck, not to mention the adrenaline rush every time I see one would probably distort my aim!!!!

I'll fill you in on the latest tomorrow, once I'm sure all the fires are OUT!!




12 comments:

  1. Glad you didn't have any Fire damage. We lost our house to Fire because of Kids running from our back yard.
    Some Pellet Guns would do the job without worrying about ricochet.
    Have you tried Electronic Rodent Repellents? They work on Squirrels, Chipmunks, Mice and Rats. Just maybe?
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't heard of electronic repellents ... that would be a good idea if it works.

      Delete
  2. My goodness, the little brats! Trying to have some fun, did they make that story up? I'm happy you didn't have damage to you or your place.
    Mr. Skunk again!! He looks young too, meaning a long life ahead. Sorry! Rick has some suggestions, maybe they'll helpe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would MUCH rather have a Chippy than a Stinky.

      Delete
  3. Seriously, Tom and I said the same thing last night, people must have a lot of money to burn, as fireworks went off all around us last night. Hopefully, tonight will be quieter there and here. We are on team "Nancy" good luck!!!!!We know you can take those skunks down...Go Nancy Go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Luckily we had no fireworks any where around us except town did an awesome show we could actually see from 7 miles out..Sounds like a horrible night for you. Good luck with those pesky skunks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may need to move out where you guys are!!! No close neighbors, no fireworks, no skunks ......

      Delete
  5. No fires here (although we heard one very loud siren heading down the street behind Arny's) but the booms and the bangs were something else. Thank goodness little Indy is not afraid of the noise, Bubba can't hear them, so it did not bother either dog. Took Indy out front around 11:30 and there was a layer of smoke filling the street. Then I tried making sure my car was locked, and I hit the emergency button by mistake. HONK HONK HONK. Oh Lord, how do you turn that sound off???? Just my contribution to the noise...inadvertently as it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, that's a MUCH better way to celebrate the fourth ... honking horns!!! Glad Indy isn't bothered. Cooper doesn't really mind and Jessie too can't hear.

      Delete
  6. We had illegal fireworks going off the entire month of June. It can get very scary. One of my sister's neighbors spent a $1000 on fireworks. Maybe he saved up from his stimulus money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHAT???? That's ridiculous to waste that kind of money. Good grief!!!

      Delete