Sunday, February 16, 2020

Know When To Fold 'Em

Sometimes you just have to do those crummy jobs yourself.  Yes, I can hire a handyman, but I'd much rather do the job and spend that money on fabric.  Here I am, all suited up for my foray into the depths of hell, full of scorpions, spiders and rattlesnakes, the den underneath my house.
Here's the first two feet.  I have to crawl about 20 feet.  Although gone in this picture, I set up a large light so I could see what the heck was going to bite me.  Not that I would be able to get out of it's way, but at least I would know what to tell the ER Doc if and when I got there.  

I did my very best worm impression as I slid underneath that pipe, all the while telling myself LOUDLY ... you can DO THIS!  There's lots of room and NO critters!!  That caused excessive barking from the living room upstairs.

At any rate, the hose is now spliced back together with gorilla tape because I couldn't for the life of me get one end over the other.  It's good enough for now to keep the mice, rats and scorpions from crawling up the hose to the dryer.  

I have to say this is a ridiculous setup.  I'm going for solid piping in the next couple of days to replace the springy stuff.  Any suggestions on how to hold it up?  There is nothing to strap it to, only metal and insulation.  I need something to support it from underneath.  
I skinnied back out (yes, that's a word) and began removing everything, straight into the garbage can. I'm hoping I don't come down with Ebola.  

I should have quit there, but NO ..... I'm still working on the cactus bed out back.  I had spotted a suitable specimen further down the hill.  I grabbed my trusty shovel and dug it up, making sure to keep all appendages AWAY from the spines.

I dug my first hole, right into the drip irrigation line.  Who in the heck put that line in the middle of the flower bed?  Good grief .... now I have to buy another one of those connector gizzies.

I moved over and dug ANOTHER hole.  My sneaker slipped off the shovel right into the side of the cactus.  RATS!!!  I tried using the shovel to remove the chunk now stuck there.  Seriously?  It refused to budge.  Then it broke into three pieces.  I'm now trying to remove THREE pieces with the shovel.  

At last, I got them off, only to step on TWO MORE!!!  I'm pretty close to throwing it ALL over the fence at this point.  I tried grabbing one of the spines to pull it off.  It came completely off the cactus. I did that again.  Pretty soon, all the spines were off but the cactus was still stuck to my shoe!!!

I'm happy to report, I WON that war using two sticks AND the shovel.  By then, there was only HALF the cactus left to be planted.  Maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all.  KNOW WHEN TO FOLD 'EM ... I gathered up my tools, stomped a little dirt around the edges and went in the house.  If it lives, it lives.  
I think I better stick to what I know .... sewing!!!  Next up, my RV license plate is up for renewal.  Won't THAT be fun!!!  The plumber also comes tomorrow ... maybe I'll ask him about the dryer vent.





15 comments:

  1. Love the first picture!! Eeeeeya!! Is that a ninja word? haha
    I'm glad you cover yourself before crawling in there, I'd rather go to the dentist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you DID! I sure hope you are feeling good with no pain!!

      Delete
  2. You can use Metal Tubing or the White Plastic Tubing for the Vent Pipe and just use the Flex on the ends. There is Strapping that can be used to fasten it under the Floor Joists.
    Be Safe with the Cactus and Enjoy the finished results.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think more investigation is in my future. Not sure I can stay under there long enough to strap everything up! LOL

      Delete
  3. Take your Cholula cactus Chuck it over the fence you'll thank me later

    It's fairly easy you need to know how our house is constructed your floor joints that you walk on our usually 2 x 10 with 16 on center
    In your case most mobile homes they insulate that floor and then they put a vinyl sheeting underneath so the insulation doesn't fall out and acts as a vapor barrier
    When you were underneath there when you look up you could usually push that material and feel the floor studs
    They have what they call straphangers they're used to putting up pipe tubing and plumbing
    They also make those hangers to hold up 3in stove pipe which you can get in 4 six or 8 foot Long
    Your dryer has a 3 inch vent so if you got a 90°to go down under the floor and another 90° and run 3 inch all the way out with the flapper so no critters to get in you'd be fine not knowing the layout of your house. There's Got to be a better way to run a shorter line.
    If the dryer is in the middle of the house so to speak stove pipe would be great if the dryer is up against the outside house wall that would be the best option doing a direct vent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought a shorter line would be reasonable, but the huge a/c venting is in the way. The other direction is the garage, requiring drilling through concrete. They couldn't make it easy, you know!!

      Delete
  4. You are too cute and much braver than I would ever be! Hopefully the plumber would do it for you and not cost too much, that would be my choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plumber would be my choice too. Besides that, he might just be single! LOL

      Delete
  5. Small chunks of cactus can be removed by using a small comb. Slide the spines between the comb's teeth and push/pull. We never leave home without the comb, chollas are everywhere.
    We found a scorpion in the bathroom again, under the scale again. I do wonder how they're getting in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have more guys than I do. Glad you're happy that the critters will temporarily be kept at bay. Best to stay away from cactus, not cultivate them. :))

      Delete
    2. Allison, that's a GREAT idea. I will definitely remember that next time. See ... it's not just ME with the scorpions. How the heck are they getting in?

      Delete
  6. Go to Google Images (www.google.com/imghp) and type in DUCT SUPPORT, it will give you some ideas. In between all that insulation under the house will be some studs, wood or metal, which you can (make that REPAIR PERSON CAN) attach Duct Support Webbing or Straps to. If you do that, you might not need to go to expense of putting in the metal ducts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are metal beams running the length. I'm just not sure I can stay under there long enough to set something up! My fear gets the best of me after about ten minutes!

      Delete
  7. Freudian slip Nancy. I meant guts, not guys. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha Doug .... I WISH I had the guys!! Sometimes you just have to pull on your big girl pants if you need to fix something!!

      Delete