Saturday, February 8, 2020

Easy Wows!!

WOW!!!  I just stepped out my back door yesterday morning to this fabulous sight.  I probably should have set up my tripod that is currently holding up Jonathan's heat lamp, but instead I just did a hand hold.  Isn't he beautiful?
Jon was happy to stay warm, and easily wowed when I presented him with his latest treat.  Banana bread.  He loves this stuff!!  He would be thrilled enough to talk up a storm if I put a whole one in his house.  I admit, I snitch a piece now and again when I feed him.
The weather straightened up to a bearable 45 degrees in the morning, heating up to a lovely 70 late in the day.  That made for some nice patio sitting.  In the meantime, I have a quick recipe that will wow your friends and family ... if you like tacos that is.

These are poblano peppers.  Throw them on your gas stove (or barbecue) and blacken them nicely.  Place them in that plastic bag you saved from grocery shopping and let them sit for several minutes.  I admit, it's a messy job to scrape the skin off with a knife, but it's worth the trouble.
Take out the seeds and chop into small pieces.  Do not, I repeat do NOT rub your eyes OR your lips at this point.  Apparently all poblanos are not equal, because the last batch I did had no heat at all.  These two were hot mamas!!  Saute them with an onion, then dump in a tablespoon of dry taco seasoning mix.
Next up add your thawed hamburger.  This part took a little longer because mine was not thawed completely!  Sprinkle in the rest of the taco seasoning and cook till done.  How simple was that to get some extra flavoring in your taco meat.
An easy WOW ... these were delicious served up on my most expensive plastic china.  Do NOT save the plastic bag you used in spite of what your mother told you ... throw it away or everything will taste like burned poblanos.
While watching the sun go down, I was rather wowed by this train car, one of thousands that pass by every day.  It interested me enough to do an internet search because I expected it to be some gang affiliation.  Turns out I was wrong.

In 2015 Ugandan Islamists executed 237 civilians in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo.  Wow!  And apparently Romeo loves Andrea.  How many people see this every day and have no idea, including me.  Anyway, it was an interesting moment in my day.
I actually spent much of my time on the phone, making appointments for my rig feet repair (wow, that's going to be an ouchy one for my wallet) and retiling of my steps, including the entryway.  I rather imagine those pavers are going to scare me to death, but it's better than having someone fall on such an uneven surface.  In the meantime, I'll be at my sewing machine ....... sewing!!








12 comments:

  1. Mr. Moon is a huge WOW! He is beautiful.
    Jon is the lucky one. Look at all that bread. Cute that he loves it.
    The tacos look good but no heated peppers for me thanks. Very nice detail on the recipe though, many will love that.
    Good luck with the coach feet and house steps.
    glad you had a nice warm day. we don't mind the 45F in the morning when it warms up like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an inspiring 75 degrees today!! Loved it!

      Delete
  2. I love the recipe for the tacos and love the heat too :) Makes me want tacos later! Sounds like lovely weather! Glad it's warming for you. Sounds like you've definitely got some business to take care of in your future. Interesting story about Romeo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful moon picture. I took one but it looked so horrible I left it out of my post. Lots of stories on the sides of those train cars. I have a feeling repairs Will be expensive on the White Lion too. Jon gets banana bread and I get Walmart vanilla wafers. It's not fair. :((

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good news is maybe YOU can do many of those repairs. Guys are good at that stuff!

      Delete
  4. Going to have to try the taco recipe. I have been cooking ground turkey lately instead of hamburger. They should taste the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should be perfect with turkey!!! Sometimes I slip in ground chicken ... it works good with hamburger.

      Delete
  5. My mother roasted chilis on the stove just like that. Good memories..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes the flavor SO much better. My mom never did that ... they were not fans of Mexican food!

      Delete
  6. The moon is a wow!
    Jon is one lucky bird. I am going to have to try the poblanos, sounds easy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The recipe is quick and gives tacos, burritos or enchiladas so much more flavor.

      Delete