Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Always The Black Sheep

Over my many years of life, I've not been known as the one to do what she was told or follow the herd.  I'm rather the black sheep, as was pointed out to me yesterday in no uncertain terms.  Every time I come here, my goal is to get an RV cover built.  I've failed miserably.

There's nothing more frustrating than talking to a jerk who thinks you are stupid.  I guess he's right, I was stupid for calling them back.  I finally got ahold of the owner, who pushed me off on the salesman Greg.

Greg has already told me I'm dumb for hauling in all that dirt making a pad for my motorhome and not having it engineered.  (It was compacted and has been there three years now.)  In fact, I think he's told me four times now, along with how he used to own the company, sold out and lost all of his money in the property recession of 2005 and now has to actually WORK.  He's even looking for a girlfriend to pay his way.  Good luck with THAT, buddy!!

Greg also told me I didn't follow his instructions to the letter.  I didn't call the Flood Control Office regarding my project.  I live on top of a hill ... what flood control?  The black sheep raised it's head.

All I wanted was an appointment with Mark (the owner) to come look at my property to be sure what I wanted would be doable, and a new price since I need to make it smaller than the bid he gave me.  He went on for fifteen minutes about why HE couldn't drive 20 miles.  His truck is too old, it doesn't have reverse, he's in too much pain from his back and he's not driving to see the job.  He can see everything just fine on Google earth.

But wait ... I just talked to Mark and he said to make an appointment.  Greg said I wouldn't NEED an appointment if I hadn't been dumb enough to NOT have the site engineered.  Really?  I said in my best black sheep voice, I guess I'll have to call someone else.  HE HUNG UP ON ME!!

Just because I wanted his "boss" to know how he was representing the company, I called Mark back, who said he would get me in contact with his OTHER salesman.  I heard those famous words ... I'll call you back in an hour, which of course did not happen.

The good news is if I never get an RV cover, I'll have plenty of money for all the brick paving and kitchen remodel I have in mind.  That was as good as the morning got.  The real problem is that it takes at least three contractors to do the work, meaning if I want one now, I'll have to deal with THREE of them.  One to ship you the product, one to set up the foundation and one to actually build it.   UGH!
I tried to bury my frustration in the sewing room and began work on this quilt.  It's pretty big with over 1100 pieces I have to sew together.  Pretty crazy, but at least it kept my mind off the idiot at Performance Steel Buildings.  

Just because I could and in an effort to be a GRAY sheep, I DID call the Flood Control people who said ... no surprise ... I'm not anywhere NEAR a flood control area.  

Truthfully, I wasn't in any mood to call another contractor, but since I was already in a bad mood, I might as well not waste it!!  I need a pan under the hot water heater.  Should it ever leak, it won't ruin the floors of the house.  

The first plumber's helper refused to give me any kind of price or hourly rate.  After taking all my information, she informed me they don't service this area.  I called the second plumber with the same result.  Luckily the third time's a charm, because I finally got someone to come out for an estimate at NO charge.  If I agree to the price, he will do the job right then.  I'm feeling very agreeable.

I know a leopard can't change it's spots, but possibly a sheep can change it's color.  At least this contractor didn't ask for the HUSBAND, although Patty said she would loan Dan out for the day.

I'll be in the sewing room!









18 comments:

  1. My oh my! Where is that muscular husband when you need him, eh? Just for show. Is there such a thing as 'rent a hubby?' I suppose Dan would fit the bill. :)
    Good luck with everything. You are NOT stupid!!! Not by any means. I can't believe Greg is such an idjet!
    Love the quilt colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't run into many people like that in my days, but he sure takes the cake!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a real loser company to me! There's got to be someone else more reliable! Nice about the water heater guy, hopefully that's something you can get done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are too many of those Losers that haven't changed with the times.
    Unfortunately when putting up a building you do start with the Foundation Walls then build atop of them. That would have allowed those Yahoos to charge you Five Times as much for the Pad you've already made.
    Good luck with the Plumber.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the money you'll save.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been an experience, this one. Sad there are not more reputable companies out there.

      Delete
  4. That is why Yelp and Google reviews exist, to help future customers avoid bad customer service. Your time is money and you spent a lot wasting your time and that company did not loose anything except 1 customer-you. Now help someone else avoid that company and maybe their loosing more than 1 customer will change their customer service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh trust me, I'll be on Yelp and Google in a flash, as well as their internet account! LOL

      Delete
  5. Yes, for sure torch them on Yelp and Google. This is just stupid how they are carrying on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really couldn't believe my ears. Who knew there were people like that still in business!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like you managed the situation fine on your own. Nothing wrong with being the black sheep. When my wife was living she always said, "it was better to be a bitch then a wimp that everybody walked over."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Peter, I love your wife's thought!! I'm going to remember that one!

      Delete
  7. Do you know the worst thing a company can get is a negative review well I hope you don't mind me putting yours in for performance steel buildings
    If you go look at the review today you'll see my post
    Are you sure he didn't call you a dumb blonde somewhere in that conversation
    That'll get a woman riled up more than anything and what did my mama used to say she has a hissy fit
    In the construction industry (house building) there are not that many female site bosses but I will tell you when I do run across a few they have it on the ball more so than some of the men
    You certainly don't need that company

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say in my construction experience the women kicked butt and ALWAYS called you back when they said they would! I'll join you in the review process!

      Delete
  8. Having been in the contracting business for years, we always relied on the Better Business Bureau to get the word out, good or bad about companies. Yelp and Google are certainly options as well. Bad reviews follow businesses much longer than good ones.
    If you know any tradespeople (plumbers, electricians, gas installers, carpenters, etc) they may be able to offer you some direction. I realize they aren't in the 'steel buildings' category but tradespeople are often subcontracted to do the 'remainder of the job' after the shell is complete.
    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have a couple of guys coming out in the next few days. I'm asking every one for names.

      Delete