Monday, July 22, 2019

JACKPOT!!!!!!

Sometimes you win ..... sometimes you lose.  I won big time on Saturday!!  It was that sixth sense thing again.  I was cooking breakfast ... or at least doing a good imitation of cooking.  Let's face it, I was microwaving a piece of bacon, when I walked over to the window just for a quick look.

Can you see him?  I spotted the slightest bit of movement, which usually turns out to be a quail or maybe a bunny rabbit.  Once time in the rain forest of Costa Rica (Patty will remember this) we were on a guided hike with maybe 30 people.  The guide heard a hummingbird singing in the trees.  I actually spotted it for him at the top of a very tall tree.  It was the movement that caught my eye.

That's a trick my dad taught me.  Scan the surrounding area for movement constantly because it might save your life.  Kind of like not stepping on that gila monster or maybe a rattlesnake.
This guy was as quiet as a mouse.  There was no sound at all as he made his way in to the water.
JACKPOT!!!  I've heard the coyotes, but this is the first one I've seen this year.  It took him about five minutes to get this far.
It's interesting to note that coyotes are usually solitary hunters.  They may roam around in packs, or families, but with the exception of Mom getting food for the babies, they hunt alone.
Look at those eyes.  He was in fabulous shape, probably due to the abundance of rabbits and quail this year.  His (or maybe her) jawline was rather unique with lots of white fur.  It was pretty striking to see him from the side.  What a beauty!!!
I couldn't have been more excited as I watched him drink for about ten minutes before he gracefully turned and headed off down the hill.  I can't believe my luck this year.  It's certainly better when it comes to critters than it was playing poker last night.  I'll relay that story tomorrow!!

You'll probably find me staring out the window today!!




14 comments:

  1. Definitely a well fed Coyote. Could he be using your Watering Hole as a Snack Bar?
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really good pictures of the coyote! We see them a lot in our neighborhood. They walk down the middle of the street like they own the place. Hearing the packs howling is so cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow ... around here they are pretty wary. I think I've only seen about four in the last two years. You must have more "food" in your area. I love to hears the howls!!

      Delete
  3. WOW! That is a good set of pics, and no, could not see him in first picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They just blend right in to the background. He was right in the middle. Such neat creatures!

      Delete
  4. Wow....that last picture is almost scary. Looking for movement....Jerry does the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful sight to see, amazing what you will find if you take the time to look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't catch the coyotes much ... they are pretty wary around here.

      Delete
  6. Great pictures of the coyote, we love to listen to their calls at night. Once in Alamo State Park, we saw one walking down the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On rare occasion we see them crossing the road, but they are pretty secretive around here. You can hear them, but not see them.

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful catch of the coyote! I won't fear their presence so much now that we don't have a little boy to protect. :) Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! They do like their snacks! I never let mine outside unless I'm right beside them.

      Delete