Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Calling All Handymen!!!

Help!!!  I'm nailed to the couch and I can't get up!!  I really should have been out mowing the lawn since all the baby quail have disappeared.  I don't know if they were dinner or if they flew the coop.  Both Cooper and Jessie have become a little clingy after that big storm!!
Here's what I REALLY need help with from all you handymen out there.  The tile job you see destroyed here was a mess.  Pieces kept falling off every time I went out the door.  I decided I could fix it, having been buoyed up from my push button door lock installation.

With screwdriver, hammer and putty knife, I very carefully removed all the tile.  It must have been falling off for awhile, because most of it was stuck on with some kind of silicon material.  Luckily, I only broke one piece.

So what do I do now???  I picked up a tub of mortar, along with a little scraper tool, and that's as far as I got.  Do I just slap it on and position the tile with those spacer thingies?  It looks so easy on television!!  I found a bag of something called sanding grout.  Is that what I use or should I buy a bucket of grout?

How long does it take to dry before putting the grout on?  Any help would be greatly appreciated since once this is done, I have about four more pieces on the front porch to remove and replace.
I don't remember if I mentioned it, but there was a Sunday night poker game last weekend.  As usual, I got taken to the cleaners, losing my precious three dollars out of five.  It's funny ... I truly do know how to play the game, but I get the worst cards ever!!  Everyone else gets four of a kind and I have a pair of threes.  

This guy kept us entertained all night.  Meet Chewey, a rambunctious bundle of joy who spent all night figuring out how to get on the counter.
He was after our beef burritos (homemade) and appetizers.  He looks like Benji, right?  Or maybe Toto.  I'm not sure how it happened, but the next poker night will be at my house.  That means I have to cook something.  Woe is me ... what to cook, what to cook!!!  There must be a caterer around here somewhere!!
I guess my luck wasn't all that bad, because look what I found when I got home.
Desert flowers are just gorgeous.  Too bad they don't last longer than one day!!
On the list this morning is mowing the lawn.  What fun!!  It's electric and I have to push it.  Oh to have a battery operated one, but the $350 price tag has me balking.  The only good thing is I rarely have to mow it because, well, grass doesn't grow all that great in the desert!!





12 comments:

  1. Can't help you with the tiles, have never done them but can't be too hard. I would google it and go from there.
    Gotta love that wonderful cactus flower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I did ... googled it ... and they still make it look easy! I guess I shall find out.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Do not use tile grout that's your last step
      You need to remove everything did you not stuck down if it's silicone you need to get rid of it nothing will stick to Silicone
      Bring everything that you're going to change down to concrete they make a tile adhesive It's called tile adhesive or thinset that you could buy at Lowe's comes in a small bucket There is a special tool that you use that leaves ridges when you go to Lowe's ask the tile guy how to put it down and he'll be glad to show you it's really a simple process but if there's any silicone get rid of it
      After you finish gluing the tile down then you use the tile grout to fill in the gap's if you have A lot of pennies two or three pennies in the corners will give you the correct tile gap
      What happened to the kick plate under the sliding glass door is that concrete or wood if it's woodyour tile won't stick to it
      For a very long it's not designed for tile

      Delete
  3. The last paragraph should have said tile does not stick to wood
    Look on YouTube how to set tile on a concrete patio
    It'll give you a better mindset of the materials used and yes like Josephine you can do it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There should be a disclaimer in my post do not engage brain and mouth before 2 cups of coffee

      Delete
    2. Okay ... got it. See ... it sounds so easy!! I watched a couple of videos so maybe that will help.

      Delete
  4. Glad mister Ed knows how to do it and like he said the Big Box stores will gladly demonstrate how to do it. I do know that taking the silicon completely off requires more then just scraping it off. There is a residue left behind that a cleaner is required to lift.
    Be Safe and Enjoy being a Handyperson.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was able to clean it off of all but one piece. It was so easy tearing it apart .... I'm hoping it's easy to go back together.

      Delete
  5. Youtube! "Holmes on Homes" uses some pretty cool spacers between tiles, his grout lines are always straight and even. His show is on Youtube so that is who I would watch. They do a lot of tile. Or you could just outsource the whole job to a tile guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried a couple of tile guys ... they were not interested in doing a small repair job. Now if I wanted the entire steps ripped out and redone, THAT they would do!! I'm going to try it ... I can always call them to fix my mess! LOL I will definitely watch Holmes. I like him.

      Delete