Saturday, March 9, 2019

Numero Dos

I figure since I'm this close to Mexico, I should learn to speak the language.  Possible I'm too old for this dog to learn any new tricks.  THIS girl however, is NOT.  This is Missy, numero dos of the Chance household.  She's a full figured gal, maybe ... just MAYBE because her Dad likes to give her treats in the latest toy.

It didn't take her long at all to figure out if you whack the thing, it rolls around like an egg and dispenses treats.  Missy is all about the treats!!
Maybe Missy needs to come to my house.  Numero DOS rata!!  Mind you, these are not the small mouse traps.  These are six inches by three inches, to give you an idea of the size of the rat.  I went around the entire house again yesterday and notice the siding piece in the front is not tight up against the concrete block.  I've no idea how to fix that, so I'm buying a big can of foam stuff to fill in the gaps.  Gosh I hate these guys!!
My latest big project is removing the vines and bushes killed deader than a doornail by the snow.  From the pot sitting on the wall towards the right, there's about 20 feet that needed to be removed.  Between the snow and the heat of summer, these bushes did not survive.
How hard can it be?  Cut them back, dig them up.  Well let me tell you, it took me two hours to get just one out.  There are tres!!  I could hear the creaking and cracking of the shovel handle as I laid into it.  Just to remove ONE, I finally dug all around the bottom until I found the one inch tap root and cut it with my shears.  

To make matters even worse, they have put out big long vines the entire length of the wall.  It's one of those that puts out roots all along the vine.  One down, DOS to go.  That's when the Vail gale started to blow.  When they say it's going to be windy, they MEAN it!!  I gave up and went inside.  Hopefully I can get back to them today, in the 38 degree weather we are now having.
Those bushes will be replaced with several of these.  I've no idea what they are called, but they survived six inches of snow piled on top and don't seem to mind the heat much either.  The perfect plant for me.
I'm off early this morning to another horse show featuring the Chance granddaughter Laila.  I should get beaucoup images.  Oh wait ..... that's French.  I should get mucho images!!!







12 comments:

  1. Buenos días, Nancy, the horse show sure sounds like fun time. Think Missy would do a great job at your house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we had a rat get into one of our outside compartments in the motorhome, I used "GREAT STUFF" Pestblock Insulating Foam Sealant...have not had a problem since.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always fun watching the Cats play especially when they get Treats.
    Bit by Bit you are getting rid of things that you don't need around your house.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the horse show.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a pain with those darn rats! They just keep coming!

      Delete
  4. Yesterday was so ANNOYING. We spend the day in the garage painting, and when the gusts would pick up the newspapers on the floor would scoot where we did not want them to go. This is the worst March ever! so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Allison! The weather sure has been up and down. Your garage look GREAT though, in spite of the wandering paper!!

      Delete
  5. So far the only Mexican Word that I know is tequila 🤬but don’t have it for breakfast👎
    Your vine About halfway up If you break the branch in half
    If you see green it’ll come back
    If it’ snaps and brown inside yes it dead
    The snow is actually good it actually has a mother nature’s blanket and actually keeps the ground warm for plants
    It’s the bitter cold that will do the plant in
    If you go to your local Gardner you may wanna look into cat’s paw Ivy
    It’s pretty tolerant cold in heat
    Or you could look at some Of these
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/10-cold-and-heat-tolerant-perennials-and-shrubs-for-the-arid-west-stsetivw-vs~59677594

    If you have a 1 in.² or round hole a mouse or a raton Will find its way in
    If you’re a bit squeamish
    The next time you go to the hardware store check for the disposable rat traps or look online

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hasta ahora, la única palabra mexicana que conozco es tequila, pero no la tengo para el desayuno.

      Delete
  6. I bet you DO have it for breakfast!! LOL That stuff is only good in margaritas!! At the very base, some of the vines are green, but it will take an entire year for it to recoup. It always looks bad and needs pruning constantly. I think it's out of here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the idea of the yellow flowers.........much prettier and less work I would imagine. Just sit back with a glass of wine and look at them.
    Good luck with the vine and I wouldn't worry about Spanish other that buenos dias, mucho gratias and maybe Hola Guapo. (Hello handsome). :)

    ReplyDelete