Thursday, March 21, 2019

Geocaching At The Escapade

I was up bright and early, not because I wanted to be, but because Barbara and Tom Westerfield were putting on a seminar at the fairgrounds in Tucson.  Geocaching is the name of the game.  It's a fun way to get you out of the house and moving your body.  Sometimes really fast when your hair gets caught up in a tree and you think it's a big spider!!

There were so many newbies attending the seminar that I volunteered to help them get set up with their iPhones.  Androids are Barbara's specialty.  I was so busy, I completely forgot to take pictures.  Here's an example of what you need.  Basically, your phone and a pen will get you started.
Unfortunately, flip phones won't work.  You need something a little more high tech.  Go to Geocaching.com, sign up with a name you like that isn't too long because some of those log sheets are teeny tiny.  My name is CaCowgirl.

Your phone will show you the location of every geocache in the area.  Sometimes, like around the fairgrounds, there are hundreds.  Pick one, click on it and follow the arrow.  Once in the vicinity, most will have a clue, like water water but nothing to drink.  That could be a sprinkler, so you go pushing and pulling up all the sprinkler heads until one comes loose in your hand.  You might find a cache this tiny ...... or bigger like this plastic bottle ...
or as big as an ammo can.  The first order of business is to sign the log sheet and log it as found on your phone.  You can take any of the goodies in the can, but only if you leave something in return.
Once everyone had it down, Tom and Barbara had hidden eight caches around the buildings for everyone to find.  I gave a hint here and there to help them find the prize.  You can get really involved and try to find every single one, or you can just go out when you are bored.  Be careful in the desert however ... you might get your hair caught in a tree trying to find that one inch container hanging from a branch.

BOF (Birds of a Feather) groups are available to sign up with if you would like company on your travels.  There is lots of opportunity to hang out with people who have the same interests as you.
And who should I meet while walking around the building?  Lynn and Dave Cross, along with Margie who was manning the Geocache BOF table.  Sign up is free with Geocaching and you can get lots of help at their rallies in Quartzsite and Yuma.
I made my way around the vendors, right on out the door heading to the Ice Cream Truck when I spotted some amazing copper sculptures.  For the most part, they were free form, poured while liquid, then colorized by adding heat.  No two are alike.  This little guy was playing my song, so he came home with me.  So did that 2-cup caramel sundae with a cherry on top.
After their second seminar, Barbara, Tom and I had lunch at the Cantina.  The place was packed to the brim with 15 people ahead of us in line.  Good thing we were in no hurry.  I finally got my order, but Barbara and Tom did not.  

Fifteen minutes later after I watched probably a dozen orders be delivered, I jumped up and caught a waitress.  Seems someone put the wrong number on the ticket.  They apologized and made the entire order over again.  It was okay .. we had no place to be and the food was quite tasty.  

It's a rest day for me ... I packed my heavy camera all over the fairgrounds and never took it out once.  I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be heeling to one side, or listing .... whichever.  

My pest control guy is coming this morning at 8:00, so I'm off to make myself presentable.  No use scaring the help half to death.







8 comments:

  1. What a fun day hunting and finding always things to keep you busy i you like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people don't care for it, but for me, it keeps me walking and out of the refrigerator!!

      Delete
  2. Glad you had fun at the Escapade and met up with friends.
    Not an uncommon thing when places get busy to loose orders.
    Be Safe and Enjoy getting rid of your rodents.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rodent riddance is like geocaching. See what you can find!!!

      Delete
  3. That’s why they’re called 💅🙈🙉🙊 pest control

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geocaching sounds interesting. Had heard of it but never knew how a person would get started. Something to thing about trying.
    The copper sculpture is so cute. I can see how it made its way home with you. He would be hard to resist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's simple really. Log on to www.geocaching.com with your phone and sign up (you can use the app for free, but of course they will want you to upgrade to premium, which you do not have to do).
      Give yourself a name and accept location services when using so it knows where you are. Tap the screen and they will show up. Tap one of the caches and it will show you exactly where to go to find it. Once there, you have to use your Sherlock Holmes attributes to find the cache. Just sign the log and replace it as you found it.

      Delete