Sunday, March 17, 2019

I'm Addicted To Food

I no more arrived in Tombstone than my stomach said it was time for lunch.  It was only 10:00, so I proceeded to get in trouble first.  I spotted this kids saddle in the window and just HAD to have a picture.  

This is what I rode from four years old to about nine, tapaderos and all.  That's the long covering over the stirrups.   My saddle didn't have quite as deep a seat.  Too bad because it probably would have saved me many bruises from falling off when the horse turned back and I did not.

Somehow I missed the NO PHOTOGRAPHY sign.  I've no idea why not unless he stole this from someone.  I got THE LOOK so I quickly exited right and out the door.  On the way, I spotted the sign.
That's when I looked up and saw ..... BAKERY.  There was no way I was going to pass THAT by.  A new business in Tombstone?  I'll gladly help keep you going.  They really didn't have much to offer except cinnamon rolls, huge brownies and a few cookies, plus coffee and hot chocolate.  

It was a very chilly morning, so I opted for THAT cinnamon roll please and a cup of scalding hot chocolate.  Truthfully I was not impressed with the roll that looked like a cow pie.  After the first bite however, I was hooked.  Unfortunately they do not give you a knife and fork, so I carefully unrolled each little piece and stuffed it in my mouth.  I'm just SO addicted to food!

I'm here to tell you, that's one of the best cinnamon rolls I've ever eaten.  When I told the proprietor so, she gave me a big hug.  Seems her husband makes them.  I took half with me and bought one for the road.  Now to figure out what's in it so I can make the same.
I headed straight for the Bird Cage Theatre and spent WAY too much time inside, hoping a soiled dove would magically appear in my camera frame.  That's another story for another day.  At 11:30 I headed off for Big Nose Kate's, girlfriend and confidant of Doc Holliday.  If you want to have fun, this is a great place for lunch.
I should not have been so enamored with the Bird Cage.  This place was packed to the brim and not one single seat was left.  There was however, a table for four.  Just as I passed the doorway, I was accosted by a gentleman asking what kind of camera I had.  He disappeared just as quickly after I said Nikon.

The next thing I know, he and two others came in behind me looking for eats.  Knowing he was a camera buff, I asked if they would mind having another person at their table, in which case all four of us could sit down immediately.  They agreed.  
You meet the nicest people in Tombstone.  Terrible picture, for which I apologize.  The open door made for WAY too much light.  This is Paul, his wife and her brother.  He was a broadcaster for the Green Bay Packers, having retired a few years ago.  Now they travel around Arizona in their RV during the winter.  This was their first experience in Tombstone.
Unfortunately for me, since they were SO crowded, there was not a menu to be had.  The waitress spouted off a bunch of sandwiches.  It was so loud and noisy, when I heard pastrami, I thought Reuben.  I was apparently wrong.  It was okay, but was missing all the meat.  For $14, I could have had THREE cinnamon rolls.
I finally wandered off down the street, leaving them to their lunch.  The Red Dirt Shirt Company had sold out of their long sleeves ... not surprising considering the freezing temperatures ... so I opted for this horse variety.  If you're going to visit Tombstone, you might as well help the economy a little.
Arlene's is a favorite store, with lots of jewelry and decorating items.  In fact, they have taken up two huge buildings in town.  The ladies are so nice, I purchased these two small rugs.  They are quite inexpensive compared to anyone else.  They are hand made wool and run $20-25.
One of my last stops was next to the Harley Davidson store.  Yup ... motorcycles in Tombstone.  It's a favorite destination for the perfect Tombstone shirt.  That's where I found this hat for my civil war costume.  It's probably not exactly in the time zone, but it's close enough.  Unfortunately I'm not sure I can still FIT into the dress it goes with.  WAY too many cinnamon rolls.
There are still some interesting photos of Tombstone and stories of the old west to pass along.  In the meantime, Miss Patty and I are headed off to a quilt show, after I partake of the last vestige of cinnamon roll.  







5 comments:

  1. Always a good time on Tombstone and especially BNK's, always a fun place, I do love their overstuffed rueben though has never failed me in all the years . The cinnamon rolls sound tasty as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree ... that Reuben is the best. Next time I'll go MUCH earlier!

      Delete
  2. Nice to meet First Timers in Tombstone and share some stories.
    The Reuben did look a little thin. Probably a lone overworked cook trying to keep up with the demand. You could have made a meal on those Cinnamon Rolls.
    Nice helping the local economy.
    Be Safe and Enjoy your Quilt Show with Miss Patty.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DID make a meal of that cinnamon roll. I can't wait to go back for another!

      Delete
  3. Nice day in Tombstone. The cinnamon roll sounds heavenly, oh my!
    I love that you met and sat with some new people.
    The rugs look nice for your place too and that hat, well, that hat has me sold!! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete