Sunday, March 10, 2019

Horses ... The Love Of My Life

There's nothing in the world like riding horses.  Unfortunately, most people never get the chance.  I was one of the lucky ones to be riding my own horse at four years old and I fell in love with these creatures.  I didn't want to do anything but ride.  

So when it comes to watching Laila take on a horse show, I'm all in.  This one took place in Sonoita at their race track fairgrounds.  For such a tiny little town in Arizona, they sure are all about the horses.  Sorry about the crummy picture, it was a very dreary overcast cold windy day.
This is Laila riding Ely.  We aren't talking any $10,000 horse here, but I'd take him in a flash.  Rarely do you find a horse that can really do it all.  Maybe not perfectly, but he's pretty darn good and a looker to boot.
Laila rides western most of the time, including trail horse classes (over and around obstacles), equitation (judging is on the rider), pleasure (judging is on the horse) and gymkhana (barrel racing for one).  Lately she's expanded into English.  

Her first try at jumping was a disaster as he balked and she went flying off in an embarrassing crash to the ground in front of lots of people.  That will take the love of horses right out of you.
This was her first attempt after that fateful day.  It seems Ely would jump fine at the ranch, but not at the show.  That's rather how it goes with horses.  Some times they just have a bad day.  So on THIS day, we all held our breath as they were given two practice jumps.  Ely couldn't have done better.  
They aren't high jumps at all, an easy take for most any horse.  Ely made all four jumps like a pro.  We were SO excited for Laila ... until the actual judging took place and he knocked a rail down.  That class was for Youth.  The very next one was an OPEN class, meaning anyone could enter.  THIS time Ely did everyone proud as he jumped over them perfectly, winning FIRST PLACE!!!  Don't you know, Laila was ecstatic!!  
I can't tell you how important it is for all of her family to cheer her on.  When I was showing horses, no one ever came to watch me, or help me out.  I'd show you pictures, but there aren't any.  I'd show you ribbons, but those have disappeared over the years.  It was the most fun ever, so I'm very happy for Laila!!  Any day now, she may decide boys are more fun, but until then I hope she never loses her love of Ely.

This happens to be a picture of another girl whose horse jumped very well.  She was as excited as Laila.
With a break in the action, Patty, Dan and I headed off for lunch.  There's only two places to eat in Sonoita ... a not very good steak house and this hole in the wall cafe.  The Cafe is the name of it.  I've driven by it a few times and it's always packed with cars.  If the Border Patrol eats here, it must be good. 
Lucky for us, we beat the bus of twelve people and placed our order.  Dan of course had a huge burger.  Patty and I shared a turkey pesto sandwich with sweet potato fries.  They even split the sandwich on two huge plates and didn't charge extra.  It was DELICIOUS!!  If you're ever in the area, stop in here.  You won't regret it!!  Lunch for three ... $25.
After a few more pictures, I headed off to find an old ghost town.  There are many around the area, but most are either completely gone or on private property.  The days of riding horses across the country looking for gold and silver are long gone, but a few remnants remain if you're willing to go off the beaten path.  WAY off the beaten path.

Even with all the wind and cold, it was a great day to be in Arizona, ending with a nice sunset out my patio door.  
Next up ..... off the beaten path.  I was so excited that I made it back in one piece!!







9 comments:

  1. What fun day in Soniota watching Laila and the horses, do love that area and The Cafe sound like a good place to go for lunch too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a fun little town to wander. Little being the operative word.

      Delete
  2. Hi Nancy.

    An interesting website that I have used often is called;

    Ghosttowns.com

    It's good for researching & planning explorations and also fun for exploring ghost towns from my arm-chair at home.

    There are great ghost towns in your state, but many require a fair amount of driving.

    Most of the fun exploring ghost towns is FINDING them.

    My experience is mainly ghost towns and mining camps in Yavapai County, west and north of Phoenix.

    Great subject matter for photos and lots of sunny, clean, fresh air! Pack a lunch, bring water & have fun!


    Horses are a great avocation!

    --"There's nothing better for the inside of a man, (or woman) than the outside of a horse"--R. Reagan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great saying Robert. Thanks for the website. I’ll definitely check it out.

      Delete
  3. Have always loved horses and have owned a few back a long time ago. Still dress western (snap shirts, jeans, boots and hat) almost exclusively. Best horse ride I ever had was getting to cut a couple head of cattle on the Florida State AQHA champion. What a ride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! What an experience!! I’ve ridden a few good ones. Spent a lot of hours cutting cattle. I’ll never give up my Levi’s and boots!!!

      Delete
  4. Looks like Laila was having fun with her horse.
    Be Safe and Enjoy exploring your Ghost Towns.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now printing out maps so I don’t get lost!! Lol

      Delete
  5. Nancy, try the Copper Brothel in Soniota for lunch some time. Great food and if you like beer, they have some awesome IPA's, ales and others.

    ReplyDelete