Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Burning Things

As you know, I'm REALLY good at burning things.  Mostly food.  It was an extremely lucky St. Patricks Day because my corned beef and cabbage (without the cabbage) came out perfect in the slow cooker.  That means that for the last two days, I've had corned beef hash for breakfast and I didn't burn it not ONE time!!
My neighbor likes burning things too.  I'm pretty sure it's garbage because it stinks terribly.  Unfortunately, all the smoke seems to head my way, keeping me off the patio.  Such a beautiful day yesterday ... hardly any wind at all.  So of course we spent it indoors sewing, chatting and passing on the latest in quilting.

By the way, the quilt that won the big prize ... you must be a MEMBER of the Hall of Fame group before you can enter your quilt, so the number of participants was limited.  

Hoping the smell of MY burning would waft on up to my neighbor, I spent some time working on gourds.  This shows the sticky patterns you can buy, rather than drawing everything yourself.  They are very dark because I already burned the images into the gourd.  Knock on wood, so far I haven't burned myself at all!!
Peel the residue off and here's what you get ... ready to be painted, or not in my case.  It takes time to build up a plethora of colors, and at $7 a bottle, it's going to take awhile.  The good news is a bottle will probably last forever.
Since I had no pattern for the feather, I did have to draw that one myself.  I'll be painting it very soon.
Here's an interesting discovery I made last year.  This is the Linear Garden, brainchild of the gentleman whose name escapes me, who lives across the street.  He's a junk collector who likes to display his wares.  Most likely because his wife said either he or the junk was going outside.

Traveling southeast on Toughnut Street, turn right and go down to the lower parking lot.  Stay to the right and make a right hand turn up Skyline Drive.  It's basically a one lane road going up the hill.  Just around the first corner you will find the garden.  There's room to park in front of his house if you wish to saunter up the hill.
It's not junk ... it's GOOD stuff!  I can hear him now.  If he's out in the yard, stop and say hello.  At any rate, it's definitely unique.  Keep going on around and you will have a great view of Tombstone, ending up back in the parking lot.
Today I'm off to the Escapees Escapade, even though I have to pay $20 to enter.  I'm in need of a new windshield for the rig before I switch things around to lower the cost of insurance.  Right now I have no deductible.  

Hoping to catch up with some friends and check out a couple of seminars.






10 comments:

  1. I love the gourd burning that you are doing. Your feather turned out beautifully, I believe you are quite the artist! :)
    Neat Linear Garden. Does he sell stuff or is it just a display? It is very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linear Garden just collects, he does not sell. You never know though .. if he's out and about, you could make him an offer!!

      Delete
  2. Your gourds are coming along nicely . And a tasty corned beef hash is another way to enjoy a tasty meal. love that linear garden. great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having fun with the gourds. Hoping to have time to do much more.

      Delete
  3. Tomorrow, Wednesday is free day at Escapade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that cool? I'll be there. I'm going to Westerfields seminar on geocaching!

      Delete
  4. David & I are going to Escapade on Wednesday; like David said, a free day (may have to pay for parking). I made my corned beef & cabbage in the Instant Pot mid-afternoon on Sunday. I added the start and end times on the recipe because it takes so long. The meal turned out very good. Leftovers for lunch on Monday and probably finished the rest for Tuesday's dinner. Your gourds are coming along nicely. Lynn Cross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good ... maybe I'll catch up with you guys there. I'll probably be around all day.

      Delete
  5. The Feather on the Gourd that you drew looks more natural then the rest. Try doing one with only your own designs.
    Enjoy the Escapade. Wednesday is the last day for the Vendors that's why it's free.
    Be Safe!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I see ... I didn't know why it was free, I just thought it was a nice idea. That should bring the people in!!

      Delete