Friday, July 13, 2018

Rumbling In The Night and A New Game

Remember those train tracks just a quarter mile from my back door?  They've apparently been good to me up until now.  It seems they have been doing some weird shuffling as of late.  This image is for my Canadian friends.  I've never seen Ferromex before ... anyone know where they are from?

The train went by the house SO slowly and finally stopped with this rear engine in view.  Fifteen minutes later, it backed up completely out of sight.  Another twenty minutes passed and it started up the hill again, this time to disappear over the ridge.  No problem it's day time, right?

Well last night it did it again, only I think BOTH diesel engines were parked just outside my patio door.  The rumblings went on and on, followed by rain.
That wasn't all that was rumbling either.  Thunder and lightning continued all through the night.  Its not easy to get night lightning images ... our little phones just weren't made for nighttime photography.
Most were huge blinding flashes that lit up the entire sky.
Needless to say I didn't get any sleep.  Miss Jessie, who is just as afraid of thunder as she is firecrackers, kept trying to find a quiet spot on the bed, which wasn't happening.  Sleep wasn't happening either.  It's all good though, because I LOVE being in the desert!
I'm so excited to show you my latest game ... how many differences can you find in the next two pictures?

If you said TWO, you were right.  Aren't they just fabulous?  Funny the things that excite me nowadays.  Door and drawer handles.  I can't tell you how nice it is to open the doors now.  No struggling with finger tips getting caught.  

On a quick trip to Lowes yesterday, I found these knobs and pulls, grabbed my little cordless drill and went to work.  What a mess to clean up afterward.  Once done, I kept going back into the kitchen and opening cupboards, just because I could.  I can't believe I did this myself.
I'll be going back again soon because I forgot to get something called reflectix that I can line the cupboards of my motorhome with to help keep the heat down.  Anyone tried it?  They say it will reduce the inside heat ten degrees or so.  People put it behind the couch on the wall, inside cupboards and even inside the back closet.  I'm going to give it a shot and see if it helps.  

The sprinkler repair guy is due here at 8:00 so I better get my act together.  






18 comments:

  1. This trains are interesting to watch, too bad in the middle of the night though.
    Nice to have proper handles and knobs sure makes those doors and drawers much easier to operate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how we take for granted something so little as cupboard and drawer pulls.

      Delete
  2. Pretty sure FerroMEX is a railway out of Mexico. (Canada is a long way away). Maybe just a rare appearance in AZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I see in the name now. I've never seen one before.

      Delete
  3. Yes! Dave is in the process of installing Reflectix in our new motorhome. He did a few trial cupboards and it made a big difference in keeping the food items cooler. Now he is going to put it in all the cabinets and closet.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm glad to know it's helping. I'm going to try it too. Too bad the motorhome manufacturers don't do that!

      Delete
  4. Way to go Nancy! After almost 25 years in our house, we finally now have knobs on the cabinets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it was a "sleek" trend, but it's so hard to open them. Easy peasy now!!!

      Delete
  5. Reflectix is basically bubble wrap with one reflective side. I have no idea how the reflective side would work in a dark space like a cupboard. You might get just as good results with plain bubble wrap for less money.

    Yes, Ferromex is a Mexican railroad. The ferro part refers to the old idea of an iron horse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting ... I've never actually seen a piece of reflectix yet. Bubble wrap is probably cheaper. A Mexican railroad ... that's the first time I've ever seen one.

      Delete
  6. I know,,,I know,,, Miss Nancy,,,, pick me,,, I know,, you got a new nob for the bread box

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too funny Ed!!! Always that one kid in the back row!! LOL

      Delete
  7. This is probably why you saw that train

    https://www.joc.com/rail-intermodal/international-rail/central-america/ferromex-owner-buy-fec-first-us-rail-acquisition_20170328.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. reflectix
    It's only about 3/8 inch thick it's very soft how are you going to attach it ,
    When you're in that department look for pink foam board it's only about a half inch thick it's fairly rigid but you can cut it with a knife,,,, I just said a bad word Knife
    Maybe you could find some double sided sticky tape for your purpose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of sticky tape, but I read you just cut it half an inch bigger, fold over the top and push it in. They say it stays perfectly, but you can remove it to double check for moisture (in the south) or critters.

      Delete
  9. Reflectix is good. In a cupboard it will stand up, and can be squished into the corners. We have it in the storage bays as well as in the windows. Put it everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure took me a long time to hear about it. Definitely a plus in the desert! Thanks Allison!

      Delete