Saturday, July 14, 2018

Do It Yourself!!

I've always been a do-it-yourself kind of girl.  I remember way back in grammar school when they taught us to work together on a social studies project.  I got a D because we were graded on our whole project, not individually.  My partner didn't do ANY of her work.  I decided right then and there that I would always do it myself.

Sometimes that gets me into trouble, but at least I generally know when to call UNCLE and get someone who knows what they are doing.  Such was the case with the sprinklers.  This one was broken, so I brought another from California.  It can't be too hard, just unscrew the old one, screw in the new one.

Not so fast Miss Nancy ... seems the new one is WAY too big.  With the valves stuck open and watering the entire two acres, I called out the calvary.  Able from Arcadia Landscape came by yesterday morning.
Wasn't I shocked when he said it would cost $600 to replace these four sprinkler valves.  Good grief Able ... don't scare me like that!!  He said he would clean the bad one first and see if that worked.  I asked if I could watch and maybe do the rest myself.  

The nice man said certainly ... he would be happy to teach me all about them.  We unscrewed the top and discovered lots of gritty white junk from the hard water here.  All cleaned out, he unscrewed the anti-siphon side and gave it the once over.  Once back together, we turned on the water and it worked just fine.  He also showed me how to adjust each valve for water flow so it would quit blowing the emitters off the end of the lines.
Now to repair the broken sprinkler ... come to find out it was the correct size, but whoever installed it attached the water line permanently to the side instead of the bottom.  That meant cutting the pipe and making the same type of repair.  Probably $50 for that one!!  No matter, the new one is working great!

The next cool morning, I'll grab my screwdriver and clean out all the other valves.  Able said they would send me a bill for his time ... that's a scary prospect since he had no idea how much it would be.  Any questions about your valves, just give me a call.  I've got Able on speed dial. 

Here's something new I learned about yard work.  Seems there's always something to learn.  While waiting for Able, I started pulling weeds from the flowerbed, overgrown from WAY too much water.  I actually did wear a pair of gloves, not that they helped much.  I kept running into that nice little cactus plant.

Two hours later, I discovered I am covered from head to toe with little tiny minuscule cactus spines in my hands, arms, legs and feet, and a couple other places I won't mention.  I figure I'll have to live with it because I can't see them at all.  Note to self:  be more careful when pulling weeds around the cactus.
Deciding to treat myself for lunch, I made a quick trip to Dairy Queen just down the road.  A dangerous place when you don't have much self control.  However, they have a great meal deal.  I got seven chicken strips with a load of fries, two pieces of garlic toast and all the dipping sauce I would ever need, all for $9.50.  Not bad since it made three meals for me.  MUCH better than Taco Bell.
I've procrastinated long enough ... today is Mow-The-Lawn day before it rains again.  






12 comments:

  1. Glad you are finally settled in and enjoying the change of atmosphere (Cleaner Air) in Arizona. Nice that you haven't been experiencing the Severe Storms others around are feeling.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not been too bad here storm wise. It has rained a little each day, but it's a nice cooling off shower.

      Delete
  2. Nice to be shown how to fix things and then get it done yourself. Good repair. Those cactus things can be pretty nasty. Be more careful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be MUCH more careful when it comes to cactus. I'm learning!!

      Delete
  3. Do you really need to water? Cactus do not need to be watered. When we started RVing we turned all the water off when we left the house. We haven't watered it since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well ... eventually I won't need much water, after I take out all the plants that have to have it. They have planted several things here that require watering, including the lawn in the back yard. I wouldn't bother, but the puppies love the grass.

      Delete
  4. From the looks of your anti-siphon valve's are orbit manufactured all of them can be replaced or you could replace the inside parts with very inexpensive replacement kit
    This is give you a little YouTube brush up
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwi-4qKJ7J7cAhVCu1MKHQKdCWgQo7QBCAkwAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DtEGYRF9ubYQ&usg=AOvVaw2hjjZPaJDDCM3dl78wksaM


    When it comes to replacing the sprinkler heads it's sometimes easier and less painful to dig around till you get to the bottom of the sprinkler unscrew it and replace the whole head , for $3-$4 easy peace of mind ,,Sand and dirt hard water are not kind to sprinklers
    Each zone has its own wire to the valve if you have pack rats in your neighborhood or an a overzealous Weedwhacker you might want to protect the tiny wires that go to the valve, maybe a galvanized bucket /Tupperware tub
    You may want to have your water bill sent to you online PDF that way you can keep track of your water usage / bill Monthly then if you see an abnormally you could have someone investigate and or shut down, also same as your light bill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For heavens sake .. you can find anytime on YouTube. I never would have thought of looking that up. The guy told me to get a cover for the valves, so it's on my list.

      Delete
  5. Last night this man, older than I, pulled in with his son, younger than my youngest. He has a farm...in Kernville, and the kid worked or works at the Kern Valley Museum. I told them how I read your blog, how your family got kicked out of the area when the water rose after the damn was built..."Kissack is her name". "KISSACK???? Why there is a Kissack Cove in the lake, and...." Bottom line, they did not know your family, but knew of your family. Told them how your dad was an extra in a few movies and the kid proceeds to tell me about the Stagecoach the museum has that John Wayne road in the movie Stagecoach. Did not get their names though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small world!!! I haven't been back there in ages (no good RV park, not to mention the canyon road is terrible) but I'll have to check it out. Didn't even know there WAS a museum!! I LOVE IT!

      Delete
  6. At DQ I get gravy instead of dipping sauce. Yum! I always get extra gravy so I get two meals out of one box. Gravy poured over french fries and reheated works just fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really!! I didn't know they had GRAVY!! I'll have to try that next time. Sounds yummy!!

      Delete