Monday, June 18, 2018

I'm Sick Of Breakfast

I admit ... that was just too many breakfast cookings in a row.  I never want to see another sausage or egg casserole again.

I arrived at the lodge at 6:30 am (to the consternation of the puppies, again locked up in the bathroom) to find only two guys.  Luckily other volunteers showed up later.  My plan was to stay completely away from the gravy, no matter what.

The cool thing is the ovens.  If you've never worked with commercial ovens, they are a kick.  The warming ovens are another story.  My mechanical skills just couldn't get one to work.  Turns out you have to turn the timer to ON.  Who knew?

First up ... make the casseroles.  Probably three pounds of cooked bacon went into each of seven pans.  Apparently they were expecting a crowd.  That was followed by bell peppers, onions, mushrooms and cheese before three cartons of egg mixture were poured over the top.  This might be pretty tasty!

That was followed up by sausage, linguisa cooked in cheap Carlo Rossi RED wine, biscuits and waffles.  You haven't lived until you've smelled hot Carlo Rossi Red Wine.  Totally a Portuguese thing.  Then the wait began for the fathers.  Surprisingly, there was a steady stream despite this being the first year of indoor Father's Day.  We could have used 100 more.

Yup there was a LOT of food left over.

Just as my feet were screaming it's time to sit down, we had to bag up all the leftovers, minus those six sausages I dropped on the floor.  Some went in the freezer, some in the walk-in for today's lunch, although I have no idea how he plans on using breakfast food for lunch ... and a LOT went home with the kitchen staff.

Not me however ... I don't care if I EVER see another sausage or biscuit.  Every time I turn around, I get the distinct smell of waffles from my hair.  Thank goodness it's not the linguisa!!
Although I had planned on some cooking in MY kitchen, I came home and crashed on the couch.  I guess I never really healed up after the fair because my feet were killing me.  That's when I got the phone call.  That one you KNOW you should not have answered.  They need help next weekend at the PER Brunch.  

In the meantime, I'm taking all your good advice and trying to lower my food bill.  I do keep leftovers in the freezer, but they don't last long.  Those old plastic bowls don't work so well with knife holes poked in the bottom.  It's time for them to go.

It took me awhile to find this baby at Walmart.  I might have ordered it from Amazon, but it would have been sent back for sure.  I scanned the aisles for twenty minutes before accidentally locating it next to the vacuum cleaners.  Really Walmart?  Shouldn't this be in with the kitchen appliances?

For $99 it was NOT a steal, but I should be able to make that back in a short time with the food I save by not throwing it away.  Interestingly enough, Walmart has removed 2/3 of their check stands and installed check-out-yourself stations.  

I wanted to complain about them letting employees go that won't be needed as checkers, but honestly they now have MORE employees helping people check themselves out.  They never had more than two lines (and two employees) open at any one time.  Now there are FIVE employees and I didn't have to wait in line.
Anyway, the operation of this machine will definitely be an adventure.  I've got two pounds of pulled pork just waiting to be my first victim!!

By the way, the mosquito is DEAD DEAD DEAD, smashed to smithereens and run through the garbage disposal!!!!  The Great White Hunter prevails!!!


8 comments:

  1. I love the food saver.
    Fix meals for travel, makes it super easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always just put meals in plastic tubs. These are much more compact. I love it.

      Delete
  2. Good Lord I wouldn't do a search on eBay for the vacuum food saver
    But you could've come home with $45 worth of food to boot
    But one of the great things about Walmart it,s liberal return policy
    If you're not happy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was pricey, but it came with four rolls of bags, which was worth $40 .... close!! Even Amazon had it cheaper, but the post office doesn't want to deliver.

      Delete
  3. Do you know if you sent a complaint to Amazon there may be a good chance Jeff Bezos will read it because he does read lots of the complaints personally himself which is rare for a big company,,, so if you can't understand the consumer helplines accent,,,, well,,, remember the best part of being a CEO
    ( 💩 ) goes down hill,,,,,,,,,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I just might do that. They actually sent ME an email saying sorry I had problems. I'm definitely going to respond.

      Delete
  4. Cooking all that food does really get to you. but the food saver should be able to freeze a few good meals for you with no cooking involved , bonus !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonus is right! Well a little cooking, or rather smoking!

      Delete