Saturday, June 23, 2018

Blinded By The Light

Yesterday was wash-the-rig day.  Wouldn't you know, I would pick the hottest day of the year to try and clean the muck off.  The weather guessers said 105.  The RV is not dirty as in mud from the road, it's dirty from the gunk that streams off the roof after a rain.

You can barely see it in this image, but trust me, it looks like someone dunked it in drippy frosting and let it run down the sides.  This is NOT an easy task.  I gathered up all my supplies along with a few towels and began work at 6:30 am.
Using my trusty windshield washer, I scrubbed the side in the shade four feet at a time, then rinsed, followed by a squeegee (just turn the washer around) and a quick towel dry.  The washing pad is removable, whereupon I wrap a clean towel around the end and use it to dry off the water spots from my too hard water.  

Whoever came up with the idea to paint the top of this rig black should be staked out on an ant hill.  The white gunk against the black paint is a lesson in contrast.  Don't worry about that pulled muscle on my right side, I'm sure it will heal up in a year or two.

But wait ... there's a problem.  There is a 12 inch space ABOVE the slide out covers that I can't reach.  It's almost completely white.  I guess I'll have to climb up there after all.  
Yes, I should have washed the entire roof first, but it's scary up there, dragging a 50 pound water hose around.  I just didn't want to do it.  What I DID do was take my already wet rags and hang over the edge trying to wipe off all the gunk I could.  I was practically laying down on my stomach.  The less hanging over the edge, the better!  

I've considered covering the roof with some product, but that would mean washing it well, drying it, then perching on top while spreading something around.  TWICE!  It would probably be worth it.
As I started down the second side, I was blinded by the light from the sun.  I tried to hang out under the fifth wheel hitch on the horse trailer or stay very close to the rig.  That resulted in a nice goose egg on my head and me getting soaked with dirty water as it dripped off the washer onto my hair.  I'm sure my sight will return in a week or two.

A few feet further along, as I hit the black paint with cold water, steam began to emanate from the side.  I rather doubted that would work well, so I stopped for the day with about 1/3 left to wash.

I bandaged up my possibly broken toe from tripping over the hose and plopped on the couch with a Pepsi.  I earned it.  I even ate TWO peanut butter cookies, just so I could get up enough energy to feed the critters.  

THIS morning ... like right now ... I'll limp back out and try to finish the last bit.  








10 comments:

  1. Good luck getting your rig all was he and shiny again. It will look wonderful when done it you done do anymore damage to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always nice to have it clean and shining. It's just so much work to get it there!!

      Delete
  2. With the weather hitting 105 sounds like it’s time to head to the Pacific North west for some kite flying.
    Their excuse for raising the price of gas in the summer is they make a special blend to reduce smog, I’m not sure I buy it. Why is diesel more expensive than gas? I’m lead to believe it takes less to make diesel than gas. Diesel in my area is over $4.00.
    I was given a beacon making kit (from Sur La Table) along with 3lbs of pork belly for Christmas on year. That got me started since than I bought a book on Amazon (Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman & Brian Polcyn) I tell you how to put our own cure together. I enjoy making my own is very easy and I can cut it to the thickness I want.
    JWM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's amazing ... I never knew you could make your own bacon. I bet it tastes wonderful!!!

      Sooooo ... their special blend of gas doesn't seem to be working! LOL

      Delete
  3. The posting problem turn out to be the browser, I used Firefox today with no problem.
    JWM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww ... thank you for the info. You would think it wouldn't matter. Must be something with Google too.

      Delete
  4. You remind me of why we were so glad to find Blue Beacon Truck & RV Wash. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might just be worth the vacation to Lodi ... where I would only be stuck in Lodi long enough to get it washed!!

      Delete
  5. I've decided that a clean rig isn't as important as it was 10 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it certainly is not ... unless the top is painted black and the drip is white. It looks really bad!!!

      Delete