Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Thunder And Lightning ... OH MY!!

It was a distinctly different day yesterday.  We really haven't had seasons here in California for many years, nor has it rained much over the last ten or twelve years.  That should be no surprise.  When the first settlers came to this big valley, it was mostly desert.

All of a sudden, THIS year the earth has turned enough to provide us with gallons upon gallons of water.  Luckily I live in a sandy soil area and haven't seen any flooding or major problems, except my floor.

It's been a beautiful sunny 70 degrees every day until the skies opened up and dumped at least an inch on my house.  One minute it looked like this albeit windy ......
And ten minutes later it looked like this.  The rain came down harder than I've ever seen it before.  We were slammed for about three hours.
Rivers poured off the roof.  It was a good day to stay inside and watch baseball games in dryer sections of the country.  Except .... I forgot to close the vent on the rig.  OH NO!!  I ran outside, got totally soaked, closed the vent and cleaned up the water on the floor.  No biggie!!

Just for fun, I took a look at the ice storm taking over the East Coast of Canada and the US.  YIKES!!  I'm glad I don't live in THAT region!
In no time there was a loud racket outside and hail was coming down.  That's weird, it's not cold enough for hail!  You can see it melted rather quickly.  That's when the thunder began.  Huge rolling claps so loud the puppies jumped up and started barking!!  

Lightning flashed all around, but not over my house, thank goodness.  It was almost scary, not having been around anything like that in so many years.
A little rock painting, a little sewing and a little baseball rounded out the day.  OH ... so exciting!!
Wait .... I did do one more thing.  I paid for my Jeep license plate sticker over a month ago and have not received my tags.  Also, in the frantic act of throwing stuff away, I actually discovered the lien release on my truck, signed in 2012.  A trip to the dreaded DMV office is in order.  

Our office has the distinction of being the worst on the planet for rude people and waiting in line, which goes down the street and around the corner.  The last time I made an appointment, I only had to wait one day.  THIS time as I tried to navigate their website, I discovered I would have to wait two weeks.  Apparently they have decided they were making too many appointments every day, causing way too much work.

I dread going there ... it makes my blood pressure rise and my hair fall out.  I have never had the correct paperwork and it requires two or three trips for every transaction.  To make matters worse, I now understand they have NO paper titles for vehicles.  It's all electronic.  With their track record, I don't see how this is going to work well at all.  Wish me luck.

I'm off today to the Magic Kingdom of Bingo.  I think I'll check with the local gurus and gather a few talismans to bring good luck into my house.  I can use all the help I can get!  






10 comments:

  1. thunder, lightning, rain and hail, oh my! is right!
    We apologize for sending some your way. :0
    How do you get the pattern on the rocks so perfectly? are you drawing freehand? If so, you are awesome and put me to shame!
    Enjoy your indoor plans, hope that weather clears up for you and good luck at the dmv. not a pleasure trip at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew that came from you two ... spreading the joy of snow and ice!! On those rocks, I sort of measure and make a dot, which is covered by the white dot. From there on, it's dot one side, turn it around 180 and dot the other, then the quarters and so on. All freehand. Usually it comes out pretty even.

      Delete
  2. Wow you ar having weather too, but at least much warmer than we are having.
    Good luck with DMV and have fun at the bingo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily we are back to sunshine and clouds, but it's a chilly 46 degrees .... not really cold compared to Canada.

      Delete
  3. Now there's a good job for someone to start,,line standees,,,at the DMV/Tax office/ bill payers (for a fee) can do it all for you. so you can stay home 💅🏽and paint rocks cook make quilts and the best part if your not in town they do it all for you👈 , One flat fee per transaction..
    You can even set them up with the computer calendar reminder⏰ with a PayPal transaction💵.. 👌 All done In the privacy of your own home.🏠

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, it always requires the signature of the vehicle owner, or that would be a GREAT idea! That's how they do building permits around here.

      Delete
  4. Did you see the pics of the hail in Oakland? People were sledding down the streets on it!

    A few years ago we put vent covers on all three of our vents, they are great. Put them on myself, I know you could handle it if you tried, but then a good looking mobile handyman might be in order if you wish to get them....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did ... those poor folks got the brunt of the storm, we just got the leftovers.
      Mine have covers, I had just left them open a little too long. It has something to do with that memory thing!

      Delete
  5. The picture of the dark clouds are beautiful it is just to bad they had to bring heavy rain, hail, thunder, and lightening. The weather this year is crazy. Here in New Mexico it is very dry and they are already experiencing wildfires. Then the Midwest and our neighbor Ontario are experiencing crazy snow and ice storms. Have fun at Bingo and good luck at the DMV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wildfires? Wow ... didn't know that! Stay out of the tornados if you're headed home!!!

      Delete