Monday, October 8, 2012

Makena Nannies!!!

Goats that is!!!  We took a jaunt over to Makena to check out some snorkel sites and were greeted on the extremely narrow road (in our LARGE Ford Explorer) by the local natives.  A not-at-all-quick turnaround, jockeying back and forth 4 times (thanks to the on-board backup camera), we followed them for a ways and got this shot.
A short distance later, we stopped to check out one of the local lava beaches, and up walk about 15 more ... several big rams followed by multiple sets of twins.  They have been hard at work.
This is the first time I have ever seen them running wild in all my years of coming here.
Miss Patty made quick friends with the "Old Folks Sunday Snorkeling Group" that all arrived carrying backpack chairs.  Unfortunately, we fit right in.
When one asked if she could take our picture, I said no.  Sorry but NO ONE gets to hold my very expensive camera.  Patty insisted however, and I gave it up for 15 seconds for this nice memory.
Along the way, growing in the lava rock, were some of the most beautiful flowers I've seen here.  Not in bloom when I'm usually here, they were definitely happy with the lack of soil and water.
Further down the road, after many ooohs and aaahs and STOP!!!!!, I pulled over to show Patty Five Graves and let her check out the flora and fauna.  Five Graves is a home with attached cemetery, owned by a local native, born here in 1834.  The family has owned the compound ever since with members buried in the front yard.  Since no one can block access to the ocean on Maui, they have created a public walkway next to the cemetery.  Along the wall, this beauty was moving in the breeze.
Back at the ranch ... I mean condo ... we changed clothes and were heading back out when I hear the scary sound of "Nancy ... look!!!"  Up the stairs I go to find Patty pointing out this sweet little gecko.  I think he's still living under the drapes.
Kamaole Beach Club is where I stay.  It's a private group of townhouse condos ... definitely not the Ritz, but the price is right.  I only pay a small maintenance fee.  Anyone interested in staying in Kihei ... very small laid back town ... can contact the Kamaole Sands for lodging.
Back to the smoothie, we got about 3 blocks before coming to the first shopping "area".  I call it that because it is like a flea market but with new stuff.  The first order of business was checking out the Koi who posed at the offer of dinner.
These babies were beautiful!!
A quick stop at 8O8 (because all their sale stuff is $8.08), scored us a couple of nice 8O8 tee shirts.  You can find anything at these markets ... including two beautiful whirly gigs for my motorhome.  I think it's time for a mail-home box!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment