Saturday, October 27, 2012

Baseball and Birthday Cake!!!

A few more World Series images were hanging around and worth sharing.  Two of baseball's all time greats hang out at AT&T Park ... Willie McCovey and Willie Mays!!  I have run across them in the tunnel beneath the stands that the players use to get around.  I know baseball has it's "bad" guys but  these two are not them.  They love to talk ... to everyone.  Both are chauffeured around the park in golf cart limos ... and are always surrounded by fans.  Unfortunately he didn't turn my way, but since he's there often, I plan on getting a better shot.  At 81 years old, Willie still gets around fairly well.  The stories he tells of having to go in the back door of the ball parks while the white players went in the front, are fascinating.  Being from California, it's hard to believe people treated other people that way,  even when they were baseball stars!
Here's an I-phone shot of the bleacher section for those that haven't been here.  You can walk around the entire outside walkway.  All of the seats are slanted towards home plate so you don't throw your neck out trying to watch a game.
Giants player (Pagan I think) coming in to second base after a base hit ...  I'm focused on second base a lot.  From my seats, it's the best view to get a guy sliding in.  I have some great ones with the player suspended above the ground before he lands on his belly.  But this day the only guys sliding were the outfielders catching fly balls.
Lastly, Doug Fister ...  his mom lives in Merced and works with my ex co-workers at Merced County.  Everyone wanted him to pitch well, but not so good as to win because we are all Giants fans.  Right off the bat, he was hit in the head by a base hit ball.  It glanced off the left side of his ballcap above his ear.  Scary!!  He kept playing however til the 7th inning when they took him out.  In the end, it worked out perfect ... he pitched great and we didn't get any runs until the 8th inning.  

Lastly, I want to wish a BIG HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Mr. Dan Chance.  I'm sure he will get lots of love from his granddaughter and his favorite meal, BURGERS from his wife Patty .. or maybe a big juicy STEAK!!!  Have a piece of cake for me!!!!!!

1 comment: