Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Cowboy Country!!

They aloha here instead of howdy, but it's still cowboy country "upcountry".  That's what the land is called up towards Haleakala volcano because everything is UP!  Makawao is the cowboy town of Maui, putting on one of the biggest rodeos every year.  Strange to see a cowboy store in Hawaii.  AND the best donuts on a stick in a small family owned bakery that has been in business since forever!!  Patty and I drove up yesterday after a leisurely morning sitting by the pool.   Last year I purchased a basket for Patty, made entirely by hand of native materials from the weaver's garden.  She wanted to see where it came from and if any more were available.  Goodies was the name of the store.
First on the agenda however, was lunch.  We have had fresh pineapple and english muffins every morning for breakfast (it's a tough life being in Hawaii!!), but since breakfast comes at 5:30 in the morning,  I'm ready for lunch any time after 10:00 am.  We asked where to eat at one of the stores and  found a very nice lady from Southern California where Patty used to spend some time.  They reminisced until Patty heard my stomach screaming, and at the lady's recommendation, we headed across to Market Fresh Bistro.  GREAT food, not too pricey and all organic home-grown veges.  The fresh fish of the day sandwich,  Mahi Mahi.  It was excellent!!!!
We ate at tables outside and were showered with these velvety soft flower petals falling from the tree overhead.  I actually left my camera in the car, so these are i-phone pictures, but any camera works!!!
More strange looking flowers ... I should get a book so I can tell you what they are ... 
Back to Goodies, she had several baskets, including this one that I HAD to have.  Patty, being the smart cookie that she is, found one in another store made of shells and strange twigs for a great price.  The town has become more upscale (meaning crazy expensive) with clothing and "art stuff".  We found one basket for $144 ... it was exactly the same thing I purchased last year for $45.  I suppose most people visiting Maui can afford these prices ... I prefer to shop the flea markets.  Oh ... and be sure to check where the items are made ... you will see lots of the bad C____ word here.
We did make it into one local artist's store ... and they did have amazing things ... at heart-attack prices. I did find these beautiful beads next to a sign that said the maker was donating all the proceeds of these beads to the Maui Food Bank.  Being the skeptic that I am, I questioned this .. and he said it was true.  I'm assuming maybe these are the "cull" beads ... but they are beautiful and will make a nice bracelet.
Finally, on our way home, we checked out this tattoo parlor.  Patty and I thought we should get something to commemorate our trip here since she is not sure she will ever come back.  So many designs to choose from ... but you will have to wait until we return to see which one we picked!!!
Happy Trails .... I mean aloha!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment