Thursday, October 11, 2012

I LOVE This Place ... and Here's Why!!!!!

People ask me why I spend so much money coming to Maui every year ... and the reason is I get to swim with the turtles!!!  Green sea turtles, that is!!!  Here's a baby ...
The water is about 25 feet deep here and not very clear.  The winds came up this morning, causing lots of waves that move the sand into the water, making visibility pretty cloudy.  That doesn't keep me out of the water though.  

We tried a pair of my fins on Patty and they fell off in the pool ... so with a rented pair, we set off early this morning.  The viz was pretty bad, so we started to swim back in ... all of a sudden, it got better, so I turned us around and we headed back out ... maybe a quarter mile.  
There on the bottom, well camouflaged, was this big guy.   I'm sure they heard me on the beach!!! Depth here was about 35 feet.  My little point and shoot would have compensated for taking pictures under water, but I was so excited I wouldn't have been able to find the switch anyway.  
 I told Patty to just hang out for awhile and he would come up for air, which would be my chance for closeup pictures.  It didn't take long and here he came ... with me snapping pictures fast as I could ... which isn't very fast on these point and shoots!!!
I was swimming like crazy trying to keep up and keep beside him, but not touch him (it's against the law).  He was HUGE!!!  Much bigger than I thought!!  They look you right in the eye ... soooooo cool!!!
Amazing creatures .... he took three big gulps, expelling air loudly with each intake ... and headed back down to the bottom.
To top off the best day here yet, the San Francisco Giants won their game and will proceed to the National League Championship series ... next up ... the World Series!!!  I'm sure you heard me scream at the end of THAT game ... Patty came and scraped me off the ceiling.  What an exciting day!!!

To top it off, we had lunch at Maui Tacos.  Excellent Mexican food!!  I know ... we're in Hawaii and having Mexican food??  But they have fish tacos!!!
I was very sad to see that my favorite fish place, Alexanders, was out of business, replaced by Maui Tacos.  As you can plainly see here however, their fish tacos are awesome and priced right!!!
Back at the condo, we relaxed in the sun for a couple hours before fixing Ahi Tuna for dinner.   I can't tell you how grateful I am to be able to have such an awesome day!!!  We're going to do it again tomorrow!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment