Thursday, April 21, 2011

Top of the World

Day four .. no running.  And after the snorkeling was so awful, I decided to just start driving and see where I ended up.  I stopped on top of the world ...
This is the summit of Haleakala, the volcano that made this island.  Now dormant, thank goodness, it towers above the island.  In fact, you cannot see the top as it is always shrouded in clouds ... or so you would think from looking up at it.  The 1-1/2 hour drive is well worth the trip, however the faint of heart should not attempt it.  The roads are narrow, no railing and sometimes with shear drops that bothered me enough that I hugged that center line like my pillow!!

A breath taking (literally) 10,000 feet above sea level, the views are spectacular, although hazy enough that photos don't do it justice.  I did find this frog at the top of the summit trail ... these are called alligator teeth.
Looking down into the crater, you can see what looks like smoke coming from the center, but it is actually the clouds rolling over into the chasm.  The sun up here is hot and bright ... showing the colors of the small cones inside the crater.
There are several trails that go down into the crater that I thought I might try, but every sign up here says take lots of water and food (neither of which I had), so I deferred until next time.  Maybe Ofelia and I can run here next year.  It is quite cool with most people wearing coats.  After suntanning all morning, I was loving the cool air!!!!

Back to the valley below, after following too many scared drivers that refused to pull over (like the signs say), I was ready for a big margarita on the beach.  I know, more sunset images, but when you see these beautiful sunsets, you just can't help but grab that camera and shoot away.  I'm addicted!!
These are going to be my metal prints for sale in the next art show.
I especially love this one ... it will probably end up on my wall.  Not bad for an amateur!!  LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment