Friday, September 14, 2012

Watusi Watusi .... No, Not a Dance!!!

I remember doing the Watusi when I was MUCH younger ... but this isn't about the dance.  You might think since this image shows Watusi cattle from Africa, that I am on ANOTHER adventure far from home.  Well not exactly ..... but close!!

I'm in Williams Arizona at the Grand Canyon Railroad RV Park.  Saturday, a group known as the Golden Spikes (part of Family Motor Coach Association), major train enthusiasts, will board a steam train to the Grand Canyon!!  But first things first ... directly across the street from where I am parked is the Winchester Dinner Theatre.  Their advertising gimmick??  Two huge Watusi cattle!!  The reason I show them here, is that beginning at 6:00 in the morning, they start hollering for food.  It's very loud and constant ... until someone comes out and feeds them some alfalfa hay.  I've never hear such vocal cattle ... long low moans, getting louder by the minute!!   Guess it works, because they got fed!!  Some crazy horns on these guys!!
 Not just one ... but two big guys!!
As I said, we are staying at the Grand Canyon Railroad RV Park.  Very nice clean place, they have a laundry room, use of the pool in the hotel and apparently 5 star dog kennel facilities (which we will use Saturday).  I stayed here on my way to the Grand Canyon and I highly recommend it ... that is if you don't mind the trains that pass by at 9pm and 5am ... but we love trains, so it's no problem.
The sites we have are all paved, pull through, with more than enough room for a large RV and car.  Easy to find and easy to navigate for a rookie driver like me!!
We have had lunch twice at Cafe 66, right on the main street of Williams.  You can't miss the red '49 Ford sitting on the roof.  GREAT BBQ!!!  The brisket sandwich and the pulled pork sandwich were awesome, as was the cole slaw.
Lots of antiques inside and out ...  can you guess what it was in a previous life?
We're glad to see lots of stores open and business booming.  On a quick shopping trip, Anita found just what she was looking for!!!
One last image of the Grand Canyon.  This sweet young elk came around the corner of my RV to check out Jessie, who was standing on the steps.  Of course Jessie freaked out and barked ... loudly ... startling her ... but she didn't run.  Just goes to show how unafraid they are of humans.  Just don't get this close to the big bulls!!!!
Next up ... Bearizona drive through animal park and the train ride back to the Grand Canyon.

No comments:

Post a Comment