Monday, September 28, 2026

HURRICANE GONE!

WOOHOO!!!  The hurricane has disassembled itself enough that all we got on this day was some crazy ocean wave dancing.  Two gals went out on paddle boards, but came back 20 minutes later.  The hurricane was angry it didn't get its DUE.  The wind came up and the water went crazy.  There would be no swimming or snorkeling on this day.

Instead I enjoyed my lovely cup-o-joe while watching the sun come up.


That little dot in the middle is the moon going down.  It was over an hour late on this day and disappeared into the clouds.  You don't need much more than sunrises like this.
 

Though I really wanted to pass on breakfast, it was required to hit up 808 Deli for a breakfast panini.  This my friends is a weird one.  It's egg salad with chunks of perfectly cooked bacon some cheese and smothered in tomatoes.  I'm here to tell you it was one of the best sandwiches I've ever had.  Whoever thought of this is genius!!  I could only eat half.  The rest is in the fridge for later.  MUCH later.


We discussed Stand Up Paddle boards for awhile because Nancy doesn't have one.  This is not the one she wants ... it's just to show you the possibility.  Why this one?  Because it has a SEAT and foot pedals to make it go.  No paddle required.  No standing up required either.  MY kind of board.


Since the weather and the water were not communicating today, we headed up country to pick up a package Cyndae had delivered.  It was raining up the side of the volcano in spite of the blue sky, with winds gusts in the 40-50 mile range.  


From there we headed off to Costco for surf and turf.  It was the birthday girl's birthday dinner.  Fillet, blue marlin, salads and a FABULOUS guava cheesecake.  We got back just in time to start the barbecue.  That was a no-go due to the wind, so we moved out to the sidewalk by the parking lot where another barbecue was in perfectly calm air.  

I know, I should have had pictures.  When I discovered everyone had disappeared and the barbecue was smoking like everything was on fire, I ran for help and forgot my camera!!  Luckily the fillets were not overcooked (too badly) and the fish was just rare enough.  

We had a visitor, an old friend of Beccas who is also a pilot of just about every plane there is, but now sticks to helicopters.  If you want an overhead Maui tour ... or a whale watching tour on his boat ... or a free dive to 100 feet (YIKES), he's your guy.  

We ate, we laughed, we talked and laughed some more.  So much so that we almost ..... ALMOST ..... forgot the cheesecake.  It was AMAZING!  The Costco here has MUCH better food than ours.

And so ended the night, agreeing we should meet here every year for her birthday.   I was full to the brim and exhausted.  I think today's schedule includes shopping, because tomorrow I will be on a plane headed back home.

BTW .... I'm rather sad because I see Kitters on the cameras every day, looking for me.  I think she will be happy when I get back!




1 comment: