Saturday, February 4, 2023

To Do To Do To Do

 No, it's not a song, although I admit it may sound like my singing sometimes ... it's me mumbling all morning long about my to-do list.  Just when you think you get to relax and do nothing for a few days, it hits you right between the eyes.  SO much to do!!!  So many honey do's and no honey to do them.  Let's get to work!!!

My timing isn't all that great since by the time I got up off the couch the winds had arrived.  20 mph hour breezes come down through the mountains, whipping everything into a frenzy.  I figured it would help me in throwing the little stuff over the fence.  Instead, it all came back in my face.  Note to self ... test the wind first.

I chopped down all the Mexican bird of paradise that grows in the corner, getting yet another cactus thorn in my hand.  This picture is my front yard in July.  


They die back and turn into big brown spiky sticks that need to be pruned completely.  Hopefully this year they will grow back again.


It was rather chilly at 53 degrees.  Mother Nature is changing it up as only she can.  We will be in the low 70's for two days, then back down to the mid 50's.  Yes, that's the daytime temps!!  A nice little packet of cocoa I found in the cupboard helped me warm up a bit.


Almost TOO much, since then I didn't want to leave the house.  That's when I took a good look at Cooper. You know what this is ... it was haircut time.


Doesn't he look better?  He wasn't exactly happy about the whole thing, but he's pretty good at just standing there.


I finally got off my duff and headed out to Ace Hardware with a long list of to-do solutions.  See the bottom of the steps where all those holes are?  There is a clevis pin ... or something like that ... holding the rails in place.  You can adjust them up or down depending on whether you are level or not.  


It's ridiculously hard to pull these little pins out, as Ray can attest.  I had to adjust them in Yuma by pulling them out with a pair of pliers.  Even harder is getting them back in.


I got a slightly thinner version with a hole at the bottom for a pin.  Pull the pin and it drops out the back.  SO much easier to adjust.  I'm hoping it works long term.  

Boy do I love Ace Hardware.  This store is now twice as big as it was, but that 7% inflation rate is about 25% higher.  I got eight things that added up to $104.00.  And I thought EGGS were expensive!


Back home, here's the next problem.  My 50 amp electrical cord will not stay plugged in.  Think Nancy ... who can you ask for help with this AND the two plugs in the kitchen that still do not work AND my blinking ceiling light when I turn the iron on.  Ding ding ding!!!  My neighbor Denny had an outlet put in for his motorhome, AND I need an oil change for my truck.  Denny's dad owns the automotive repair shop.  

I'll kill two birds with one stone.  I'll call for an appointment to get my oil changed while also getting an electrician recommendation.  And it worked!!!  Denny had an electrician friend who works on stuff in this area.  Believe it or not, he even called me back!  I sent pictures and he will repair it next week.  I'm hoping he can also fix the INSIDE of the house.


With that under my belt, it was time for dinner.  Cindy and Ray had given me some freeze dried food to try out, so here goes.  This was one small package of my favorite ... funeral potatoes.  It was barely half a cup of crunchy dried weird looking stuff.


It's hard to believe you could make that edible, but just add water Cindy said.  Let it sit a bit and add a little more until it looks kind of like this.  I wasn't really too sure about it until it came out of the microwave.


Yes you can put a larger amount in a casserole dish, smother it in cheese (those are my words, not Cindys) and heat it in the oven.  I opted for the faster microwave.  Dinner is served!  I was shocked.  It tasted exactly like MY funeral potatoes.  Even the texture was exactly the same.  How could that be?  It's weird I tell you ... just weird ... and DELICIOUS!!


I'm really looking forward to testing out the other things they gave me ... zucchini, chicken, sausage ... this is going to be an experiment in cooking!!!  How can I go wrong ... you just add water!!

Now for the REAL challenge ... balancing my checkbooks that I haven't touched in over a month!  YIKES!!


18 comments:

  1. Great job on Coop, he looks a lot perkier and ready for a game of catch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean a game of me crawling around the floor rolling the ball to him? Yes ... yes indeed.

      Delete
  2. Makes you wonder why the steps did not have a 'pin' like the one you bought to begin with. Let's hope your electrician can fix that outlet without it costing too much, along with figuring out what the problem is with those inside outlets (which I still think is a GFI outlet somewhere...I have heard some people say it was their outlet in the garage which was GFI that affected inside outlets that shared the same electrical lines.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say the electrical wiring in these houses isn't the best. There is a GFI in the garage that I've reset multiple times with no results. I hope he can find it too!

      Delete
  3. If it’s a ground fault Interruption it will trip and not come on until you reset. Most modern houses have one on the inside an outside usually in the bathroom and one in the garage
    Some electricians will even put one on the outside yard receptacle ? (Depending on the age of the house)

    Do not plug your 50a RV plug until you get the receptacle resolved…. when you push your male portion of the plug into the receptacle it (((should)))be tight . That’s the way they were manufactured and designed.. if it is lose it’s not making a complete contact in some cases The female tang create an arcing situation which will give you a burnt plug . Not good ..Think of it as a tight clothes pin and a weak clothes pin 👉👍Tight is better…. 👉👎weak could be dangerous ⚡️🔥?? When the electrician gets there he can put a amp meter on it and tell you what the cause is All you have to do is duplicate it when he’s there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good description of what happened. I'm going with "just replace the whole darn thing"!! Surprisingly, he told me those plugs don't last long at all.

      Delete
  4. Cooper looks cute not matter what; not sure about the look he is giving you though...lol The freeze dried food idea sounds more and more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's even more interesting to EAT that food. Not sure it's cost effective for a single person though. I understand there is a learning curve.

      Delete
  5. Good to know people that can direct you to the right "workers ". Hopefully he will get it all figured out. Jerry loved that Ace Hardware.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised Jerry loved that store. It's twice the size it was and full of just about everything you could ever need.

      Delete
  6. You are so fortunate that Cooper just sits there! i wouldn't have thought the little fellow had that much hair to lose but he did looks handsome.
    I didn't think 100$ was too bad for 8 things, we could spend that easily on less!
    That food does look good. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I think Cooper is so afraid of being up high, that he's frozen to the counter! LOL

      Delete
  7. Cooper looks adorable! Our legs on the Mansion are what I hate having Ken mens with. The salesman make it sound wonderful, but the constant messing with sucks! I kinda like the hanging ones better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup ... they are rather a pain. If not completely level, you have to adjust the legs in order to close the door. I also carry little pieces of wood so I don't have to adjust the legs so often.

      Delete
  8. I know how you feel about no to do the Honey Do list but yourself! You did do a great job on Coopers haircut and hopefully your steps will not be a pain the butt anymore. I just love your yard, the way it backs up to the ravine and you get to see and hear all the desert animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right you are Doug ... it's always easier with another pair of hands. Not so much seeing right now, the bushes are growing huge with all the rain.

      Delete
  9. Cooper is looking spiffy! Hopefully the electrician can figure out the problem. Good luck.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb ... I'm sure he will get it repaired. As to the house part, I've got my fingers crossed.

      Delete