Saturday, February 11, 2023

Epic Winds In Tucson Arizona

Now THAT was an ugly night!  20-30 mph winds with gusts up to 45 or so wracked my house all day AND all night long.  I didn't notice it so much during the day, but at night it's been banging things around.  I've been expecting the front patio cover to disappear any minute.  This video was before the BIG winds came.  Sadly, it's supposed to continue all day today.  I guess that means I will continue to stay locked up and hope my roof remains intact.


I finally heard from the electrician who will fix my RV hookup next Wednesday.  YAY!!  It's always nice when they actually get back to you.  As for the hot water heater, that is a done deal too, just not scheduled yet.  Now I have to decide on painting the house or new flooring.  As you know, my decision making skills are not the best ... I've been trying to decide that for two years!!

SO ... Cooper and I spent the day inside after having starved myself in the morning in order to get those blood tests done.  I have to say that gal was amazing.  I didn't even feel the stick and she was done in about 15 seconds.  Nurse Patty would definitely approve.

First up .. finish quilting this one that required an extra strip at the bottom.  A big surprise to me, it came out just fine.  Maybe I'm getting the hang of this after all.


I decided this one would have my favorite hummingbird pattern on it.  This will probably be a donation quilt, so the less thread I have to use, the better.   


I finished it up with no problems at all before making sure it was Cooper approved.  He's so funny, every time I lay a quilt out on the floor, he does this stretching thing.  

Notice anything different about the backing?  The cream color isn't exactly matchy matchy, but it's a blanket instead of material.  When giving away the quilts at the University, the kids LOVED the soft blanket back on two quilts.  I decided to see what the costs were and if I could do it on my machine.


The result ... this backing blanket from Costco cost $29.00 (no batting required).  Regular material backing and batting, comes to around $86.00.  It's a no-brainer ... and so comfy soft and warm!!  You can even see the quilt pattern.  Now to figure out how to bind the edges.


And so the big winds will continue all day.  I feel rather like I'm in the Wizard of Oz with the Wicked Witch of the West trying to suck us into Never Neverland.   Oh wait, that's another story.  HANG ON TIGHT COOPER!!!!!




17 comments:

  1. A beautiful donation quilt with the blanket backing.
    Glad you haven’t blown away. The winds weren’t too bad here yesterday, we weren’t eating dust at least.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although it looks very dusty here, I'm not tasting it. That's a good thing.

      Delete
  2. I am catching up...the picture of Cooper at the end on your Wednesday post was so cute. I could feel myself getting tense reading about your computer fun day...have had a few of those. The beautiful quilt above with the blanket backing sounds so cozy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb. I think that quilt is going to be a winner.

      Delete
  3. Is the paint for cosmetic purposes, or for protection of the wood under it? If it at all has to do with protection, that should win out over the floor because the damage that can be done is huge...in my opinion of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Protection of wood ... Yes I think you are right, it's more important, but harder to find a painter.

      Delete
  4. One thing that helps with high winds is to stop seeing wind in the desert in early Spring as news. Only non-wind is news. Similarly, blue skies are not news, but clouds and rain ARE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is probably true because it's always windy in spring, but not THIS windy!! Did you send those clouds over yesterday???

      Delete
  5. I would love that soft backing also. I'm really into the texture of things.
    Linda Sand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not usually one for those fleecy blankets because they cause too much electricity ... I'm always getting shocked!! But this feels pretty nice!!

      Delete
  6. The winds come and go over here. One minute it is blowing and cold, the next it stops and you are hot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hasn't been hot here at all ... but it sure is a big relief when the wind stops.

      Delete
  7. The winds seemed to stick around your neck of the woods longer than here. They'll be back though, I'm sure.
    Cute Halloween quilt and i love the hummingbirds!
    Looks like the soft backing quilt was a hit with Cooper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wind is really hanging in here for some reason. NOT fun!! I love watching the hummers.

      Delete
  8. Sorry the winds are so strong. Hopefully, gone tomorrow. Remember it's Superbowl Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I admit Elva .... I like it!!! I think that's blasphemy from a quilter.

    ReplyDelete