Sunday, February 19, 2023

Food Coma ... Oh Yeah!!!

 I awoke to perfect quiet.  That's unusual ... I jumped up to see if the world still existed.  Yup .. house is still here, Cooper is chasing his ball ... I guess we are still on the earth.  But what's this?  A Chinese balloon?  NOOOOO it's the SUN!!!!  I can't believe it.  No wind, it's relative warm and the SUN is out!  It's a miracle!!

Of course I was up earlier than that ... like 4:00 early ... to pick up the game camera.  This was taken at 7:30 when Cooper and I were lounging on the couch.  You just never know who is lurking outside the door.  Know what else is weird?  The dove are out at midnight getting a drink.  They are usually hunkered down in a tree.


This was another weird sight.  In all the time I've had this place, I've never seen this engine cruising by.  It has a little bit of camo paint on the back.  Has anyone see it before?  She's a beauty for sure, but I'm curious about the fabulous paint job.


I'm again in awe ... 50 degrees with crazy wind one day and a fabulous 70 degrees the next.  Today's high of 59 will see no wind and NO sun, so there will be no lounging on the patio in my bathing suit.  However ... yesterday, it was perfect weather for smoking some ribs.


As you know, I sing the praises of Trim Tabbs Pig Powder for my rib rub.  I've tried many other brands, and NOTHING beats this stuff for flavor.  I took these out of the fridge and let them sit for about 45 minutes.  

Adjusting the temperature of the smoker was a little hit and miss.  If there's any cold at all, you have to ramp it up.  With my other smoker, I've even been known to wrap it up in a quilt to keep the temperature where it needs to be.


Unlike my other smoker that uses preformed biscuits, this one needs hickory chips soaked in water.  Luckily this time I remembered that little fact.  The chips smoke much better that way and don't just burn up.  The smell is divine!

While they were on their first two hour trip sucking up all that delicious flavor, I hit the sewing room to start another quilt.  I think Patty and I bought this fabric something like 15 years ago.  It's been sitting in a box ever since.  Yes it's about time I put that fabric to good use.


In two hours I pulled the ribs out and wrapped them in foil.  No more smoke is required, only heat for yet another two to three hours.  No one ever said yummy smoked ribs were a quick treat.  This is an all day adventure.  

When you open that first package, the smell is sublime!!!  Really, you don't even have to open it.  You can smell the deliciousness right though the foil.


I hauled them over to the Chance household because there's no way I can eat FOUR packages of ribs.  Sharing them is my thing.  This was a joint effort.  Dan barbecued the corn and Patty made Cole slaw and WHAT??  Red Lobster biscuits!!  It was a delicious feast!!!


I came home to plop on the couch in a food coma.  Oh yeah!!!  To make up for the epic meal, I'm faced with smoker cleanup.  Scrubbing all the parts and pieces is not fun, but I'm sure will be worth it when I break into that one package I have left in my fridge, for breakfast smoked ribs!!!  YUM YUM!!




15 comments:

  1. Those ribs looked awesome! I cannot believe how nice yesterday was. Totally random nice day surrounded by cooler days. A gift from the Gods!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eating is a messy business! Lol. Interesting train engine, I have never seen anything other than the plain, no frills ones.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noticed a few from Mexico, but not that one.

      Delete
  3. Yesterday we were in Bard and had to wait for a train. We sure didn't see that beauty. Dinner looked super delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Ed. On YouTube there’s a (free) program called virtual rail-fan ..You can also join them for the $16 they post new videos every day every state that they have a camera in and they also have railcam in Tucson and Barstow pick the day That train went by and you might be able to see it Without the train number and the train company name ( it could be Mexican )it’s not unusual to see a Mexican locomotive in the train line up you really can’t do much there’s hundreds of them out there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen lots of Mexican locomotives, but they don't have the American flag on them.

      Delete
  5. Nancy, THAT is the train that Biden road daily to visit his mother that he always brags about...with the conductor to retired nearly 10 years before he road the trains (if he ever did ride the trains)! Ok, seriously, it is "Union Pacific Unveils Commemorative Locomotive Honoring U.S. Armed Forces UP Locomotive No. 1943 begins Salute to the Military Tour" https://www.up.com/media/releases/171019-spirit-of-up.htm (click on small picture to the right on that website) Note: Librarian SCORES again!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha you almost had me there! The Librarian is very good at research!! Thank you!!

      Delete
  6. Ribs and rest of dinner looks amazing! Love the train!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good thing I don't get dinners like that often ... way too many calories!

      Delete
  7. I was surprised someone knew what the train engine was. Way to go, Dave! I thought it just a better than average graffiti. I hope the pig liked the rib rub, done while you were in your bathing suit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave knows how to look stuff up. Sorry, no bathing suit .. it's too cold even in the house.

      Delete
  8. Nice looking train engine! We deserve a bonus weather day or two.
    The meal looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete