Sunday, April 18, 2021

Strangers In The Night

It's interesting to see what lurks around your house at night.  That's why I always set my alarm, although the only thing we usually have is porch bandits.  Of course there was that time I caught some boys peeing in the bushes on my front yard ... and of course the coolest bandit of all, a raccoon!!

I sat on the patio for awhile in the morning, trying to come up with strategies for ridding myself of the midnight black and white bandits.  At least my roses are happy campers!!


Possibly the consensus that I wander the back yard in my tux might work, except I would be picking foxtails out of my pants for days.  I tried the raw egg enticement ... in fact, TWO whole eggs in the very back of the trap, hoping the weight in one's mouth might set off the trap.  Nothing ..... I got nothing.

Finally I decided to check the camera again.  For some weird reason, of which I have no clue, it recorded 928 videos.  I'm not kidding ... what the heck is wrong with this thing???  I double and triple checked the settings, which were all found to be correct.  The next three hours were spent trying to figure out how to see which ones actually recorded something.

That's when I found this.  Look for the eyes.  What in the world?  Must be a kitty cat.  Maybe a raccoon.  Skunks aren't that tall.  Truly, nothing that big can get in my back yard.

Take another look!!  Talk about being surprised!!  This is a fox!!!  There's no WAY!!  Apparently he doesn't like eggs either.  Very wary this little guy.  Talk about strangers in the night.  I haven't seen a fox since 1995 on the ranch!

I spent the next hour walking the entire perimeter to discover how in the world it could get in my yard.  Finally, at the very end on the opposite side from the skunk tunnels, was a huge hole, almost completely obscured by weeds.  THIS hole was coming from the OTHER neighbor's side where the goats live.  I've no idea how it gets in their yard since it is surrounded by houses.  Will wonders never cease.  Now I have to be extra careful with the puppies.


After that exciting find, shopping for dinner was a big letdown.  Tri-tip, one of the cheapest meats there is, has a price of $7.99 a pound.  Too bad we aren't still in the cattle business.  We would be RICH!!  Not really, the two middlemen (slaughter houses and grocery stores) get all the cash.  We were lucky to sell our beef for 50-75 cents a pound.  


I passed on all the beef and found two $8.00 chickens for the smoker, along with two-for-one pork loin at a reasonable price.  My dinner plans changed to chili verde.  I don't make it often, but when I do ..... it's YUMMY!!!

Next on the menu ... smoked chicken!!  I'll be working on that for several hours today, giving me lots of time to think about how to get rid of the skunks.  I'm thinking maybe I'll set up a feed station out FRONT of the house that will keep them occupied until they forget about the back.  

The alternative is to keep trying to catch them, leave them sit in the cage all day, then drive in the dark to some back pasture to let them go.  That's assuming of course they will LEAVE the cage.  SO MUCH FUN!!!

17 comments:

  1. Wow foxes and skunks and so close to your home! That chili verde looks amazing! I'm afraid food prices are just going to keep going up and up along with gas and most everything else. Your roses are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love critters, just not the stinky variety in my back yard where they can get to my puppies. Those roses are outdoing themselves this year.

      Delete
  2. Pretty soon you'll be opening a Zoo.
    Even though Dinner looks yummy could the scent of your cemetery be the draw to these critters.
    Be Safe and Enjoy your roses.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding ... but I don't really want a zoo. Apparently they are after the grubs in the sandy soil. Must have been a bumper crop.

      Delete
  3. Those roses are gorgeous. We have to keep ours inside a fence to keep the deer from eating them. They seem to just love roses. We have been having a lot of pork chops. They still seem quite reasonable. Maybe the demand for bacon results in an over supply of other pork products.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how deer like the taste of roses. I should box these up and mail them to the other house!! That's sure possible about the bacon. Pork is definitely cheaper right now.

      Delete
  4. Those roses are beautiful. Because of beef prices I have tried to switch to pork but I just haven't been able to do it. Remember when tri tip was $2.99 a pound. I do! Raley's has whole chicken 77¢ a pound. Any Raley's in your area?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elva! Yes there is one Raleys about ten miles away. That a good chicken price. I haven't even looked at the price of steak, but maybe it's less expensive than the cheap cuts!

      Delete
  5. The COVID Scamdemic shut down many processor plants last year for a number of months, causing a supply and demand problem right now in Beef, Chicken and Pork. Lamb has not gone up nearly as much...and you can always rely on the Sam's (COSTCO) Rotisserie Chickens, still around $5 each.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you think that FOX came around to see the Foxy Lady in the Tux???? Just saying....

      Delete
    2. Hahaha Dave ... although that fox WAS in the henhouse!!! There has definitely been a reduction in chicken, but I haven't noticed the beef problem until now. I have to say it's much cheaper in ARIZONA!!

      Delete
  6. I just wanted to say congratulations on over one million page views!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woohoo!!! Thank you Jan and Bill ... I never even noticed!! Hope all is well with you two. I'll be stopping on my way back this time if that's okay.

      Delete
    2. Absolutely, we'd love to see you. Why don't you consider staying a couple of days? Let us know when you're coming through.

      Delete
  7. The Roses are gorgeous!!!
    I have not had to buy meat for a couple of weeks but not surprised it has gone up in price. I have a feeling I have a feeling prices going up will be the wave of the future.
    Fingers crossed you can get rid of the skunks sooner then later. Quick question, do they only like your yard or is it a battle you share with others in the area? Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine the skunks tear up other people's yards too. I was told they are digging for grubs though, which apparently do not reside in wet lawn areas, but dry lots. Yup ... that's my horse corral.

      Delete
  8. You do have lots of visitors, don't you? In Arizona and California. I thought it looked too big for a cat or a coon. Seems maybe the smell is attractive but not the actual product. What a shame that holes are being dug all over. :(
    Your roses are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete