Thursday, April 1, 2021

Oh DEER!!

I know I know ..... but it IS April Fool's day.  Something about in 1582 when France switched from the Julian calendar to the Gregorian calendar.  Those that didn't get the word until April were called fools, for not catching up.  At any rate, here's a meme just as bad as the reason for the day.

 I love it when you least expect it and something really awesome happens, like the morning before I was ready to leave Arizona.  I had not captured anything worth mentioning on my game camera for some time.  In fact, I had already loaded my big camera into the truck.  

When I looked out the window and spotted this guy having breakfast at the expense of my finally-blooming roses, I made a beeline for the empty table where the camera lives.  RATS!!  I'll have to use my phone, so the pictures aren't the best, as I had to shoot through my windows.

I had about ten blooming roses and now only one is left.  It didn't last long.  I'm not sure what is so tasty about roses, but he consumed them with relish!!


Before finishing off the last bite of pink, he cleaned up all the new growth.  I suppose my roses needed to be pruned anyway.


When this baby showed up, all the flowers were gone, but this bush seemed to work just fine.  


The second one finally wandered off down the hill and this baby didn't want to be left alone.  Here's the question of the day.  Why don't they eat the 6" tall grass on the lawn?  My horses would go bananas over such delicious morsels, but these guys don't even touch them.  Weird.


Breakfast is over as he retreats to the escape route halfway across the yard.  


It's no wonder we think reindeer can fly.  With absolutely no effort whatsoever, from a standing still position, he just lifted up and flew over the wall.


Obviously the wall isn't that tall, but the ground is much lower on the other side of the sloping hill.


Oh deer ...... deer butt!!


And just like that he landed, stood still for a second or two and wandered off down the hill after his buddy.  These two were pretty small, meaning they are young.  Maybe when I come back I'll bring a bale of alfalfa or oat hay and see if they are interested.


I'm happy to be home, but the constant paperwork of STUFF is driving me crazy.  Today I have to be at the Elks Lodge for practice (whatever that is), attendance of a Law Enforcement dinner (can't miss that) and a boring meeting.  I'll let you know how it goes.


14 comments:

  1. Granules such as Deer Scram helps to scare deer away from your roses. Just scatter them on the ground around your rose bushes and deer normally won't go near them. Make sure to place them a few feet away from the actual plant so they don't reach over and pluck those pretty roses!
    but a starving deer may bypass those deterrents to eat
    But then again you’re not there so they’ll be all gone when you get back and yes dear love grass but your rosebushes shoots Taste better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently they do taste better. The previous owner said she hung soap in the bushes ... and there are remnants of that ... but the deer don't seem to care one bit!!

      Delete
  2. Great pictures for phone pictures. Have a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elva. Safe travels on your way home.

      Delete
  3. Glad you made it home...any "skunk" news yet??? (Oh, I can smell it just saying the word, very familiar smell from my childhood...nothing compares to the smell of a Northern California skunk!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG Dave .... you brought that smell right out of my computer!!! My back "defense" looks okay, but the neighbor side has two holes. Thankfully they don't look used, so no sightings yet.

      Delete
  4. Fantastic pictures of the deer. You had your phone ready to go. They are cute even if they destroyed your beautiful roses. Sounds as if you have a full agenda. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly Doug, those deer can eat my roses any time. I just like seeing them in my yard.

      Delete
  5. Amazing isn't it. They do not eat grass. As far as I can tell, they'll eat anything else that's green, especially in a hard year for browse. And roses anytime. More welcome than grasshoppers though, which my now deceased husband told me chewed on the grips on his motorcylce handlebars. I guess I still believe him. They sure stripped everything else. Good photos even though you had only your phone through the window!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good grief Judith ... they ate the grips??? I'm glad they are not my problem!!! Being in the desert, maybe they only recognize dry things as food.

      Delete
  6. Well I am catching up. Glad to read you are home in California safe and sound. Sounds like a fairly uneventful trip. Cannot believe diesel went up that much if that was the station on Riggles we paid $2.49 the beginning of March. Cute selfie yesterday; though, I had a little giggle when I thought you wearing Mickey Mouse ears for a moment. What luck to have the two deer show up your last day. Nice of you to grow roses for them. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. California fuel seems to be at the $4.25 mark at the present, at least where I am. I do love to see the deer. It was nice of them to come say goodbye!!

      Delete
  7. What luck! Your phone pictures are just fine!! It was a nice going away present. :) Love the fawn eating over the fence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thought exactly Patsy. I'm glad they came to say hello and goodbye. Love those guys.

      Delete