Thursday, January 18, 2018

OOOWWWWWWW!!

That has become my favorite word, which should come as no surprise to those who know me.  It's better than Oh  S#$%&%!!#$@, don't you think?

I like doing minor repairs.  It gives you a sense of accomplishment ... like I was actually able to fix that myself!!  There's really not much to fix here at my new ranch house, just a few annoyances.

When I discovered water running over the bathroom floor after turning the valves back on (I always turn them off when I'm going to be gone for a time), I was sure surprised.  It took three tries, but I finally figured out a wrench would probably do the trick ... and it did.  Chock one up for Nancy.
Next up, the bathroom sink drain plugs didn't work.  After a trip to Lowes to purchase a new clothes dryer (that's tomorrow's story), I picked up the necessary supplies.  Almost.  Turns out I really needed to replace more parts, but let them be for now.  

Scrunching in under the too small sink in the too small cabinet, I finally got the new plugs hooked up.  Might as well do both at the same time since I was on the floor.  So far so good!  Except one was missing that little piece of squeezy metal to keep the two pieces together.  I stole one from the other bathroom.  Guests will have to do without a drain plug.
That's when I unloaded some boxes from the rig and tripped over a piece of something with long spines that was stiff as a board.  OUCH!!!  Cactus?  I never even SAW them!!  I was wearing sandals, which resulted in two big holes in my toe!!  I grabbed a shovel and beat them into submission!!

Next up, pads for the bottom of the chair legs so they don't scratch the floor.  These are nailed on, with soft pads stuck to the white plastic.  What could possibly go wrong??  It was the hammer, I'm sure, as I smashed my finger trying to hold the thing in place.  Not bad though, I'll live.
Here is where I really got in trouble.  I've been carrying this guy around for two years before finally finding his home on my patio.  I should have used a nail, but I thought a big screw would hold better.
Yup ... OOWWWWW!!!!  That brand new sharp screwdriver slipped off the head of the screw and went straight into my finger.  There's something to be said for buying really good tools.  They seem to be sharper than most!  I bled like a stuck pig.
With no ice at hand, I substituted a nice piece of frozen chicken.  Worked like a charm.
Although much deeper than I first expected, it's nothing a little horse bandage couldn't fix.  
I spent the evening sitting on my patio enjoying the view.  It made my finger feel much better!!  Now if I can just figure out how to get the static electricity out of the carpets so I don't get a 50 volt electrical shock every time I turn a light on or off!!!!  Any suggestions??
This morning I'm heading back to Lowes to fix the clothes dryer snafu from yesterday, but that's tomorrow's story!!






13 comments:

  1. Ooooowwwww is right , the things can hurt, but at least the horse bandage will hold you finger on. And a cactus on a rare toe ouch again. Think you should sit in the Patio and not get electrocuted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are exactly right ... it's the patio for me!

      Delete
  2. Use the same thing that you were going to use on the Styrofoam peanuts
    Laundry department static cling illuminator spray same one you use for clothes you could use on the rug
    Either that or get a long extension cord In the ground berry one end in the ground and hang onto the prongs of the other when you walk around,, that way you'll be grounded
    There must be a correlation here between you and Nick I'm wondering if you were born in the same year it seems he likes to bang his head and you like to stab yourself
    Johnson and Johnson the band-Aid company is not going to like you using frozen chicken as an ice pack it's just not kosher
    You know I think you need to do reverse psychology next time you pick up a screwdriver or a knife, put a bandage on your hand first it'll save time
    ������

    ReplyDelete
  3. ouch! I hope it heals well and you have nothing further happening. Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patsy, I'm not exactly known for my adeptness! LOL

      Delete
  4. Ouch. Hope you heal quickly. I know that feeling of fixing/doing something yourself. Hope it was worth the pain.

    As for static, I have found that touching a wall or wooden door before touching (for me) a metal door handle often helps with not get shocked. Hope it works for light switches too.
    -Joanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been slapping everything Joanna ... except the wall. I'll try that!

      Delete
  5. Have you tried those chemical cold packs? If not, don't. Anything from the freezer, like your chicken, works much better! That's my voice of experience from when I broke my face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not tried them Linda ... great idea! I'm so sorry you broke your face. Experience is always a good teacher.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you Dave ... it's nice to know I'm not alone!!

      Delete
  7. Get a spray can of ant-static remover the same as you use for your clothes in the laundry department it's the same that you use for your Styrofoam peanuts Spray the rugs
    Looks like you're going to try to keep Johnson and Johnson Band-Aid company and business

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been looking for some Ed ... so far no luck. It really is NOT my goal in life to keep the bandaid companies in business!

      Delete