Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Indio Repairs Revisited

One of the big pluses about attending the Indio Rally is the vendor booths.  It's the second reason I go to rallies, the first of course being the friend reunions.

Lucky for me, way back someone recommended a Roadmaster tow bar.  I'm pretty sure that was Mr. Chance, my everything motorhome mentor.  I remember purchasing it at (plug your ears) Camping World in Sacramento.  That was before I was "in the know".

My luck held out though, as the installer had done it hundreds of times and I haven't had any problems since.  The rock screen was added before the trip to Alaska.  Worked like a charm!!

At any rate, every time I've been to Indio, Roadmaster has sent their crew around to check every hitch they make.  That's above and beyond good service!!  I've never even seen them ... I just find a note saying the hitch passed inspection.

This time however, when I saw a guy at the back of my rig, I figured to find out what the heck he was doing.  You know how I am!!  He was just writing up a service notice.  The ball joint, or whatever it's called, was WAY too loose and sloppy.

Show me please.  I'm always suspicious of someone selling me something I may not really need.  Sure enough, as supported by another RV'er, it needed repair.  The blond kicked in immediately.

There's no way I'm going to be able to get that thing off.  It's been on for six years.  The nice man asked for a wrench, which I was able to provide (I know, shocker, right?) ... removed the hitch and drove it and me to the repair shop.  $125 plus parts for the screen arm that is lopsided due to no bushings.
When I went to retrieve it the next day because I hadn't heard from them, I was happy to learn they didn't charge for parts.  Luckily the blond kept her mouth shut.  Unfortunately, talk as she might, she couldn't get them to come and install it again.

I'm a strong gal ... I can do this!  With very little trouble, I got the hitch back in the receiver.  That's when I realized the entire hitch was all new except for the two arms that attach to the car.  That was unexpected!  Now for the hard part, putting the hitch lock back on without instructions.  

I'm happy to say I apparently did a good job, since the car didn't go careening off the freeway on the way to Tucson!!  YAY for Nancy!!!
Another repair ... when I pulled on the strap to open one small window shade, it broke with a bang.  Thanks to John Painter for the use of his ladder and his arms to open the shade by hand, slide the strap thingy out (that's a technical term) so I could flag down a truck and get replacements.  That's with an S because I know this will happen again!!

I bought three at $8 each and the wonderful Mr. Painter installed one of them for me.  It's so nice to have a man around the house, if only temporarily!!
The last repair/maintenance item at Indio cost me an arm, a leg and a big chunk from my wallet.  I'm in love with Mr. Jim Fulkerson.  (I wonder if he's single?)  Anyway, he's one of the nicest guys I know, hard working, never tries to sell you something you don't need and to top it all ... he delivers!!  

Every year at Indio, he changes the oil and fuel filters in my rig for less than I would pay at Freightliner an hours drive from my house.  I can't tell you how much I appreciate that service.  THIS year however, it was time for the transmission fluid.  

Can you say OUCH??  $900 later both services were complete with a nice smile and a "see you next year" from Jim.  I'm good for another five years on the trani, but I think I better add a little more to that savings account every month!!

It's been windy and cold every since arriving in Tucson.  The Vail gale is going strong.  So far the only thing unpacked is the car, so I better get to it!!





6 comments:

  1. Always nice to get your roadster tow bar serviced ours has been done every year either at rallies or here in Quartzite. and ours is almost 12 years old. It pays to take care of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely good to keep the Jeep behind you when you are towing.
    Temps are slightly cooler here but not cold.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rather think you are right Rick! Down to the 30's this morning.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Me too! Especially when they are a good looking gentleman!!

      Delete