Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Money, Money, Money

It's only money, right??  I can always make more if I absolutely HAD to.  In the meantime, it's pretty fun spending some on my new Sewing Room.  With three bedrooms and no family close by, I'm taking advantage of the extra space and setting up a room just for sewing quilts.  Cooper is helping!

Yes, I know this looks a little weird, but it's how I spend money judiciously.  That $36 hollow core door Dan Chance helped me acquire (in his really big truck) works perfectly as a table.  In the past, I've added two small filing cabinets on each end.  This table will suffice for the time being.  I'll sew on one end, cut on the other.
Needing SOME cabinetry, I stopped in at Lowes again for some put-together-yourself shelves.  As you already know, I'm not too good at this sort of thing, but after disassembling it twice, I finally got it right, only because I finally read the directions.
Not bad ... not bad at all.  I would get some more, but the cost is prohibitive.  These things were $20 each MORE expensive than in California.  What's up with that?  The big white wall to the left is covered in quilt batting.  I scored big with a king-sized bag originally $40, 50% off and had a 20% off coupon on top of that.  

Tack it on the wall and VOILA!!  A huge design wall where you stick your squares while rearranging them to the perfect pattern.  That perfect part doesn't happen with me very often, but it's fun trying.
Monday's are quilting day at the house just above me.  Yesterday there were six ladies cutting, sewing and generally just having a great time.  The best part ... Shirley is a master quilter and helps everyone with their projects, not to mention quilting many of them on her huge machine.  I'd love to have one, but that's too much money, money, money for me!!!

I started on a really weird quilt yesterday ... one I'll show you at a later date.  It's very ASKEW, just like me.  Someone in the group always provides lunch.  We had Shirley's amazing chicken soup with homemade pumpernickel bread.  DELICIOUS!!  

When I saw this picture on Ray and Cindy's blog, I just HAD to steal it.  This is SO ME!!  Even though I've sewn five quilts in the last few months, I'm pretty sure I still have fabric for 38 more.  I really can't remember where it all came from!!
My plan today is to spend even MORE money ... I can't sew very well standing up.  A chair is required, and I know EXACTLY where to find a comfortable beauty!  Unfortunately, it's almost an hour's drive North to the Tucson Mall.  Ooooooooh a MALL!!!  I better leave my credit cards at home.




20 comments:

  1. You are having too much fun there. quilting is like an addiction you can never seem to get enough. Loved that picture on Ray and Cindy's Blog as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the truth!!! There's just too many great patterns out there.

      Delete
  2. What a great quilting room you will have. I like the table, we've used a door in our past too. You do what you can. I like the idea of the quilt batting wall although I'm not a quilter. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patsy! Those doors make great tables!!

      Delete
  3. Don't know if there's one in Tucson but Habitat for Humanity thrift stores are a great place to pick up used doors, cabinets, etc.
    Craigs List ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think maybe there is a HfH store here. I'm definitely going to look it up!!

      Delete
  4. Putting those shelves together sounds like a man thing, "when all else fails, read the destructions", they look great, always a nice feeling when you figure these things out. The instructions are sometimes not the best either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS a man thing Bill, there's just not one around my house. If you know of any single ones, send them my way!! LOL

      Delete
  5. Can you ever have too much fabric? As was pointed out to me, you better get all you can before the fabric manufacturers stop making it. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh ... NO!!! I know your closet looks exactly like mine!! Isn't it fun??

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I know, right? I've tried to be "cheap" here. That's why I brought a huge load of stuff from California!!

      Delete
    2. Well, you could figure out just how you can turn all this into a corporation so that you can get that big tax break...oh, but Gov. Jerry and his cronies want to take that away from the California Corporations now too....awe, the California way...

      Delete
    3. Dave, I think there's going to be a big land rush OUT of California.

      Delete
  7. Being Creative in setting up a special room is always a great way to make it work and it doesn't always cost Money.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If the hollow core door has a hole in the middle where the doorhandle would go ask Dan for a beer glass put the beer glass in that hole for pencils bobby pins and another place to collect dust or stuff
    If you have a habitat for humanity resale store that's one of my favorite places good furniture (stuff) cheap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a GREAT idea Ed, but alas, there is NO hole. Maybe I could make one!

      Delete
  9. The trick with your new table is remembering it doesn't have a file cabinet under each end. That means right now it is a teeter totter. Oops--flying sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Linda ... I banged my knee twice and thought about moving it further out, but I'm pretty sure Oops would happen.

      Delete