Monday, August 18, 2014

Sunspots Causing GPS Problems???

Night before last, I tried to upload the pictures from my Nikon camera to my computer.  Try as I might, the Rocketfish USB card reader was apparently on it's last leg when it broke completely and refused to even acknowledge connection.  No problem, this is a pretty big town, I'll just look up Best Buy and get a replacement.  I saw from my phone GPS that it wasn't far down the street, so even though it was 9:00 Sunday morning, I took off on my quest.  As I drove, the streets got narrower and the houses closer together.  Since it really didn't look like a "Best Buy" area, I got out the Jeep GPS and set it up.  Okay ... I'm on my way to picture upload.  NOT!!!  Both GPS units took me to a tiny house in a very compact neighborhood ... with NO Best Buy!!

As I read Nick's Gypsy Journal blog, I see HIS GPS did the same thing to him.  Maybe it was the sunspots exploding on the surface of the sun that are causing all these GPS problems.  Trouble with that theory is the clouds were totally blocking out the sun yesterday here in Burlington.  So I guess I have to go with Nick's theory that his ex-mother-in-law's influence has extended clear up to the Canadian border!!

Back at the rig, I spent a relaxing morning knitting until we headed off to visit Ethan Allen, you know, the furniture guy!!  At least that was the only Ethan Allen I knew ... but it turns out he didn't build furniture.  Instead, he is responsible for Vermont becoming a state.  New York wanted to include all of Vermont in their territory, but Ethan Allen and the Green Mountain Boys fought for a state of their own ... and won!  Ethan Allen's connection with Benedict Arnold and the British has always led to controversy regarding his political motives, but the fact is there probably wouldn't be a Vermont without him.  He lived in Burlington with his second wife for several years, and you can visit his home.  After watching a short movie at the museum, we decided to return at 4:00 to meet with the authors of the latest book published about Ethan Allen's life.

We drove to Williston to find a CVS pharmacy, Best Buy and Home Depot.  Best Buy didn't have a card reader, but they DO have the new computer Barbara wants, but at the wrong price.  The good news is that I got a new point and shoot camera on sale that I can velcro to the dash and Tom found the perfect cover for his tablet at about one third the usual price.  When I learned Green Mountain Camera had the card reader I needed (and it was right on our way), I grabbed it so I can now download images to my computer.

A quick stop at Home Depot and Walmart, and we were on our way back to Ethan Allen's house when Barbara remembered the Vermont maple syrup requests she had received.  As we were late already, Ethan lost out to syrup and Creamies.  They were practically closing the door when we arrived, but luckily we got the last three maple soft-serves in the machine!!

We are again covered with huge black clouds, but will leave the Burlington Elks today and head south to Montpelier, stopping along the way to see a few sites that were closed Sunday.  I'm definitely hoping the GPS works better and Nick's ex-in-laws are taking a break!!


2 comments:

  1. Thanks go out to Barbara as she listed your blog on facebook. It looks like my kind of blog, with some gorgeous photos. billandjanrvingtheusa.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan ... nice to meet you!! Thank you for the compliments ... I'm adding YOUR blog to MY list also!!!

      Delete