Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Driving New York State ... Check Your Locks!!!

No, not the locks that move boats up the Erie Canal or the locks on your doors or the curly locks on your head ... check the locks on your tow bars!!

First, I was finally able to get a couple of moon shots ... not on the day it was super, but the next night when the clouds came in and covered it up!!

Everything started out normal enough ... since all the weekenders at the RV Park left Sunday night, it was a nice quiet night and easy to get out.  My electric bill was $8.00 for the three nights, which he was going to charge me for, until I reminded him I had paid a $15.00 deposit.  With refund in hand, we headed out to find Highway 104, which we would follow most of the way North to Clayton NY.
What beautiful country this upper New York is ... there are some really great old federal style houses, many of which fly the American flag!!
Down the road in Oswego, as Tom and Barbara crossed a set of railroad tracks, I saw their car swerve a little too far to the right.  I immediately called to them over the radio to stop and check their vehicle, as Tom was already slowing down.  For those people who have this type of hitch on the front of their toad and have it locked in place with a padlock, PLEASE check the lock for wear.  My rig uses these U-shaped bolts ... I'm not sure what they are called ... that keep the bar locked down, as well as keep my rock guard bracket in place.  Tom had a padlock on his, which I have also used, to keep anyone from stealing the bar.  The lock broke, allowing the bar to raise up and fall to the ground.  Thank goodness the cables kept the car from going anywhere, and they were able to pull over quickly and fix it with a new lock.   It's always an adventure, but this kind I can do without!!
There was no place for me to pull over, so I just kept going slowly until I found a large parking lot.  In a matter of minutes, they caught up with me and we continued our journey!!  Here's another one of those great houses.  Trouble is, for every beautiful one, there are ten falling down!!  I give the people here lots of credit ... most are selling veges or flowers, repairing small engines or having yard sales to make extra money.  Like so many small towns across the U.S., there are tons of empty buildings that used to provide a living for families.  Not so much any more.
We got an up close tour of Williamson, on the shore of Lake Ontario, as we were detoured down Main Street, we assume from an accident that involved power lines.  It was a roller coaster ride as half our lane was torn out.  How long was today's drive supposed to be???  It doesn't matter, cuz we're RETIRED!!!
In between the small towns, the scenery was beautiful and almost fluorescent green.
There were lots of barns ... white ones and red ones ... almost every one abandoned or made into a house.  Corn and soybeans seem to have replaced dairy cows in upper New York.
THIS is why people say "I Love New York".  I'm thinking that during winter when there's four feet of snow, they might not love it as much ... but summer time is truly beautiful and a joy to drive through.
We followed a couple of tractors, so there is still some farming being done.  One entrepreneurial guy was mowing close to the road and blowing the grass on to a trailer, which I imagine will end up in his barn.
Every so often we would come upon a stand of trees that haven't been logged, but for the most part, the farther north we went, the smaller the trees were.
We kept seeing the horse and buggy signs, but no Amish.  I told Barbara I knew they were here because I saw the evidence of horses on the roadside.  Finally ... this young lady came by and I was camera ready!!  Personally, I think we should go back to this type of transportation!!  I LOVE the horses!!
Late in the day, we finally arrived at Clayton ... Thousand Islands ... Riverside Acres RV park.  We have a 30 amp hookup with water for $30 a night and at least 5 mowed acres for the puppies to run!!  Come to find out, the Campground Host's cousin runs the boat to Boldt's Castle, so we have an "in"!!

Along with the beautiful morning sunrise ... yup, this was the sunRISE an hour ago ... came the rain, which we expect for the next day or so!!  We may have to wait out the rain for that lake crossing to the Castle!!



4 comments:

  1. Take a drive down to Henderson Harbor for a pretty harbor. Stop at the West View Lodge. That was what my folks owned and where I lived when a child. They also owned the marina across the street and they built the house on the front (lake side) part of the street front store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you have seen all of the Great Lakes. Lynn Cross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we have. Beautiful area for sure. I could spend all summer here!!!

      Delete