Friday, April 6, 2012

California DMV Saga ... The End???

Four more phone calls ... I'm now waiting for Scott, Tiffin's Field Representative to arrive and see if he can access the engine through the floor panel in the bedroom of the Phaeton.  I'm feeling pretty bad that I couldn't seem to get the panel off.  After Scott had been here for 1-1/2 hours and was still trying to locate screws, I felt considerably better.

The main problem is this brace that is screwed down (6 screws were finally located) OVER the screw that holds the access panel down in that particular corner.
Once Scott finally got that removed, there were only two more well hidden screws to locate.  With two pry bars, he was finally able to get the cover off.  Now ... to put it back on and see if "I" can get it off when I go for my DMV appointment at 2:00.

Amazingly enough, DMV actually has one more (and only one) NICE employee.  I gave them all the paperwork submitted by Cummins showing EPA regulations had been met by that particular engine serial number located in that VIN #'d coach.  It was a no go ... they didn't care one bit about the paperwork.  They insisted that I remove the cover.   So out we went, where I had to remove the two screws Scott put back in ... except they went in to new holes and my little screwdriver wasn't going to budge them.  I consider myself pretty strong, but it took me a good fifteen minutes and all my strength to get them out.  The poor girl felt sorry for me and did everything she could to help.  FINALLY!!! EUREKA!!!  She got to see the sticker, and didn't even mind that she had to crawl on top of the engine to see it.  AND she apologized for the crappy people that work there.  The result???
YAY!!!!!!!!!  An end total of 28 phone calls and four trips to DMV and I got my registration.  So thank you to  Bob Tiffin (yup the one and only), Leroy, Ely, Robert, Karen, Larry, Don, Heath, Phil, Scott and all the others I talked to but forgot their names.  And Special Thanks to Scott, who not only got the cover off and is coming back to replace it, but gave me tons of new information about the coach .. things to do, things to learn and things to check.  You are a wonderful spokesperson for Tiffin!!!

Lesson learned .... never, ever, under any circumstances, ever buy an out-of-state vehicle and register it in California.  I'll MOVE first!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment