Wednesday, April 4, 2012

California DMV Saga Continued

Now up to 22 phone calls ..... and countless hours .....

It seemed easy enough ... everyone said Cummins could send a duplicate sticker.  They won't.

It seemed easy enough ... just take the engine cover off (it's by the bed) to access the sticker.  Except you CAN'T get the cover off.  You have to practically dismantle the entire inside of the bedroom area ... and believe me, I have tried!!  My fingers are bloody from trying to find the screw heads in the carpet as there are numerous more staples that cut, than there are screws.  I've send numerous pictures to different people from San Diego and Davis California to Yuma Arizona to Red Bay Alabama.  All those service departments have said simply take the screws out.  Well there are braces on the bed that cover up the access cover and the closet frame overlaps the cover by about 1-1/2 inches.  Can you tell I'm totally frustrated yet????

This being my first motorhome purchase experience, it's an awful one ... even though everyone has been very nice about it and tried to help, I still have no sticker.  If someone could convince Miss DMV to crawl up under the coach and stand up next to the engine, she might find a black piece of tape covering the sticker.  Guess what my chances of that happening are ......

Since the local CHP office can sign off on this, I called them and explained my story.  Although sympathetic, like everyone else, they can't help.  She did suggest that maybe a letter from Cummins stating the VIN # and sticker # might do the trick.

Finally, in total desperation, I called Mr. Bob Tiffin, President of Tiffin Motorhomes.  To my utter surprise, he returned my call in 30 minutes.  After discussing what options I had, including driving 2-1/2 hours to the Davis Service Facility (not MY favorite unless they reimburse me $200 in fuel), he stated he would "get this taken care of one way or another".  Another 30 minutes and I received a call from Heath in Red Bay Alabama who stated they had been having these problems with California purchases.  He said a letter package had been sent to another California buyer, and although they did not have the results yet, he would certainly send ME the same package from Cummins in the hopes this would satisfy DMV.

Since the CHP office also seems to think that will work, it is my best option.  Maybe they will also pay for a massage, because at this point I've had a screaming headache on and off for three weeks over this problem.  I suppose I should have purchased this rig in California, although I doubt that would have made any difference.

I do love the RV ... it's gorgeous and has everything I wanted.  Up to the point of getting it registered, everything was hunky dory (that means great).  If there ever is another time, I guarantee I will take the risk and register it out of state using whatever means necessary.  If California loses the revenue, it's there own fault ... they deserve it!!!!!

Please GOD, just let me get the darn thing registered so I can get on with my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S.  Three more calls from Tiffin in Red Bay Alabama (25 now) ... a Tiffin representative will actually come to my house to remove the access cover (good luck with that!!) this Friday and hopefully stay while I drive to the local CHP office for the certification, then reset the cover and screw it back down for me.  Everyone keep their fingers crossed!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Now, you know one reason why we moved the heck out of CA. Good luck this Friday.

    ReplyDelete