Thursday, May 9, 2024

Hanging Out In The Trees

Prayers to everyone in Michigan.  I didn't even know there WERE tornados in Michigan.  I know as a kid on the ranch in California, we had much worse weather (of all kinds) than we have had for the last 20 years.  It seems Mother Nature is trying to catch back up.  

In 2013 I crossed the U.S. following the Westerfields.  Thank goodness Barbara was the best navigator ever.  She took us around all the big storms, but a couple of times we got pretty close.  It was SO scary, my heart goes out to anyone who has to go through that.  No surprise, I haven't driven back East since.  As much as I would love to visit, once was enough.

Here in sunny California, it was "sunny" with a good bit of wind.  I had two things on my plate ... the landscaper was coming at noon, as was the tree trimmers I called the day before (talk about service).  I was trying to keep busy doing cleanup work, which involved this bookshelf that I don't think has seen the light of day for maybe nine years.  Hey ... all the books cover up the dust!  

You're going to love this ... these are COOKBOOKS.  I was trying to increase my skills, to no avail.  I admit, I already got rid of HALF before I placed these here.  Those on the top shelf (right) all belonged to my grandmother.  I also admit, none of these helped me one bit!


That's when I got the call.  The landscaper can't come until 4:30.  My head won't let me sit still that long, so out to the garage I went trying to empty some of the moving boxes.  Oh yes, there are still at least a dozen to go.  That wasn't really all that fun, but my stack of empty boxes is getting bigger.

At noon, the tree trimmer showed up.  They are the same ones that removed three big sycamore trees for me.  I probably should have had them trimmed up years ago.  I don't know how I came upon this crew, but they are the best EVER.  Not only do they do a quick job, they pick up every single leaf and branch before they leave.  Here's the biggest tree "before" picture.


See that tiny little white spot?  That's the guy leaning out over those skinny branches pruning each one.  No worries I guess because he is actually tied in to the tree.  The wind was blowing quite nicely and he was swaying back and forth like crazy.  

I found out later that about 4 months ago, he was in a small tree, so didn't tie himself in.  He fell, breaking his wrist, but here he is, back up in the tree wielding that chain saw like it was a feather.  Tough guys in this crew.


Everything goes into the shredder.  This is just the coolest gadget ever.  Not only does it do leaves and branches, it will chew up 15" wide tree trunks like they were toothpicks.  


This one was the real problem.  It had two big limbs hanging over the house ... and this is the gutter plugger.  I may have to cover this one, though looking outside through Niagara Falls is rather pleasant.


I would have just chopped the top off.  By the time they were done, we were all sneezing like crazy.  Sycamore trees are known for causing distress ... me included (sneeze sneeze).  At some point I will probably have them take these out completely.


As for the landscaper ... he showed up early.  We talked about the rock, putting plastic under it and not planting anything at all.  The pretty walkway probably won't happen since it's WAY too expensive to buy the brick and pavers.  I asked him to make some swirls with maybe two different colors of rock.  Really, I've leaving it up to him since he is the Pro Landscaper.  All my ideas never really turn out all that great.

He will call me with a price and we'll go from there.  The weed company will pay for their half, including digging out all the dirt.  I have a big pile in the back corral I would like to get rid of, so they can use that to backfill.  We shall see how it goes.

The last problem of the day was to contact the landscape LIGHT guy.  The problem gardeners have cut the wire to my lights in three places.  He will be here to repair them in about two weeks.  Things are looking up ... and looking better.  Next week ... mowing down those rose bushes!!!!




20 comments:

  1. The big tree looks great! We don't hesitate cutting trees down anymore. True we are out in the country but felt that way when we had our house in the city.
    Looks great and I can't wait to see the rocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping they won't drop as many branches and leaves, but we shall see.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you are on a roll. Yards looking good kiddo.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it?? Yes my new gardener is doing very nicely. And he's hauling off all the trash!

      Delete
  3. I would take those old cookbooks over the newer ones any day! Don't know how many times I read most of mom's old Betty Crocker Cook Book...especially the "Meat" section. Thought that book taught me the right way to cook lamb, until I married Marcia the Greek...I cook it, she seasons it all up and gets it ready for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny to read some of the old recipes now, but they certainly did know how to cook.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the prayers for the Michigan people it was F2
    and a lot of folks came in from other counties to help get back power and to cut up all the downed trees.

    Your trees got haircuts and those guys are tough that climb and cut the limbs. Looks good !
    I think it is awesome you have all of your Grama's
    cookbooks it would be fun to sit down and look though all of them.
    Have a good day Nancy !
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good so many people came to help. We didn't hear much about it here other than it was probably going to happen. They sure can be destructive. When I drove through that area I was shocked you could see path after tornado path.

      Delete
  5. My front yard has 2 diff. rock. At Lowes I bought a heavy divider to divide them. I got Terrace Board but another brand is Vigoro.
    Flowerbed edging should give you some ideas!
    Some of my river rock in the back yard DOES go home with landscaper :( Have replaced with bags at Lowes to fill in the bare spots.....about 30lbs. each but doable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing this guy will do the same thing. He's going to bring pictures once he gets it drawn up. Sounds pretty maintenance free to me!

      Delete
  6. I love old cookbooks! Can't wait to see what develops on your yard landscaping! :) Great job to the tree guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple books are very old. It's fun to read through them ... the different terms they use are rather funny now.

      Delete
  7. I lied...........Looked at Lowes but I bought the terrace board at Ace Hardware! sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh darn ... no Ace Hardware here, but I bet I can find something similar.

      Delete
  8. It was so windy yesterday. I thought the tree trimmers would postpone the work. But they didn't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised they kept going here. The one out by the street was really dancing!

      Delete
  9. The best part about gardening is the planing and seeing it being transformed to your vision. Hopefully the gardener will come with a good estimate. Don't hesitate to insist on your design idea. It will be so rewarding later on when you look at it. They might want to make it easy on their side of work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely do that Marlene, though honestly my ideas don't always turn out very well. I'm hoping he will do it even better.

      Delete
  10. The best part of gardening for me is looking at someone else's work

    ReplyDelete