Saturday, May 4, 2024

Bacon Makes It All Better

It was another glorious, albeit windy day.  The bang bang bang continued, but not quite as much since the wind curtailed their activities.  I had a fleeting thought of laying out in the sun, but I think those activities for me are a thing of the past with a construction crew next door.  

While sipping my morning cup-o-joe, I got a weather alert.  This should be fun.  Massive winds up to 60 mph hour and over an inch of rain.  Really?  It was even broadcast over Facebook.  Sorry, I don't believe it.  I checked both of my weather apps and they say wind 7-15 mph.  Quite the difference, yes?  And MAYBE half an inch of rain.  The sky is falling once again.  


 I figured I better get in a run yesterday in case we fell off into the ocean.  Another 2.25 miles under my belt.  It's a funny thing about running.  One day you will feel terrible, but run like the wind.  Other days you feel GREAT and can barely make it to the end of the block.  It was that kind of a day.

Bacon will make it all better.  At $7.89 for 12 ounces, this stuff is like fillet mignon!  Actually this is the last bit I picked up at Costco a few months ago.  I refuse to buy it now.  Pork loin is cheaper!!


I finally got up enough energy to head out for watering.  I'm not about to let these beauties die.  That reminded me I've been wanting to have curbing put in around the back yard.  The weird stuff you see at the bottom of the picture, just has to go.  I wasn't the least bit concerned about the yard when I bought this house ... I was only concerned about setting up corrals for the horses.

You can find anything on the web if you look hard enough, and so Kwik Kerb came up.  Mowing strips and concrete edging was what I was looking for.  What I got was a wealth of information.

I called and he showed up at noon.  He asked about the horses because all of his brothers ride.  In fact, one of them is a horseshoer who lives about an hour away.  That perked my ears up since horseshoers are as rare as gold nuggets around here.


Cone to find out, he rides the Tevis.  For those that are not familiar with this, it's a 100 mile ride into the Sierra Nevada mountains, the hardest ride in the world.  Here's a picture I pulled off the internet.  His brother Dean has ridden this five times.  If you are a horse person, you know that is an incredible feat.  AND he boards horses.  I stuck that in my memory bank.


He gave me an estimate for the curbing and I said DEAL.  He's going to make it fancy and pretty, or at least as much as you can with concrete.  They will even repair all the back yard sprinklers.  On the way out, he saw the dead lawn.  I explained, and he said he was pretty sure his OTHER brother (the LANDSCAPER) was the one who fixed the uh-ohs for that company.  

Really?  Another light bulb went on when he said it's springtime and they are all swamped with work.  Well that would explain why no one has showed up.  People are getting back outside and wanting it to look nice, not to mention all the new housing being built.  I felt a little better.  At least now I have his name and phone number.  All from one phone call.  I love it!

I spent the afternoon out in the garden doing some pruning here and there and admiring these flowers.  I just can't believe they are so gorgeous and growing (however temporarily) in MY yard.  They seem to be happy campers.


I even got out my shovel and built my little hill under the tree back up a bit.  The mowers and blowers don't rake anything ... they use a blower to blow all the trimmings into my corrals.  Along with that went 3-5 inches of sand, exposing all the drip irrigation and tree roots, AND removing all of the mulch.  Maybe I can have the landscaper bring some back in. 


The roots on the little tree above are now covered and the flowers snuggled in to a bed of sand.  Hopefully they will eventually spread out to cover the whole area.  Maybe with my new Gardener things will get spruced up nicely and the landscaper will do something fabulous down the side yard.  Here's hoping!!

Now I think it's time for some BACON!!!!!


17 comments:

  1. so to make a long story short the grass is still dead and the dirt is still in the ground and the job doesn’t have a date timeframe that’s OK you weren’t going to plant anything there anyways 🤦‍♀️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kinda sorta. Though my first thought was to replant the grass, I would rather have a paved/gravel walkway that doesn't have to be mowed or have the sprinklers replaced. In other words, NO maintenance.

      Delete
  2. Things will improve in your yard.
    Flowers are so pretty.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They already have Frances. He knows his plants and how to make them look nice. I love it!!

      Delete
  3. OH your flowers look so pretty! Fixing sprinklers seems to be a continuous project. Keeping busy is good and BACON HELPS!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keeping busy is SO much better than sitting, even if it is only to repair stuff.

      Delete
  4. Me also, mmm bacon. Bought some uncured, no sugar, no nitrates, humanly raised bacon two days ago. Buy one, get one $7.99 12oz. I stopped buying it but with get one free...sold. I'm thinking bacon, egg & cheese quesadillas and a BLT in my future. Forgot the L & T, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah ... that's my all time favorite breakfast and I have it almost every morning with mini tortillas. YUM!!

      Delete
  5. Never heard of the Tevis Cup, went to their website (teviscup.org) and found a map....WOW, that is NOT easy riding...that reminds me of the Rubicon Trail four wheeler race, but it goes up hill and not down hill. Surprised that PETA has not shut down the race, I am sure they have probably tried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have Veterinarians on the trail every few miles that check every horse on the route. Stops are mandatory and marked down. If there is anything at all, they pull them, and if you don't have all the checkmarks, you are disqualified. You know the area, so you know how hard that is.

      Delete
  6. Well you had a good day. That's nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY for good days ... any days actually!! It's better than the alternative.

      Delete
  7. I like bacon, I don't know anyone who doesn't

    ReplyDelete
  8. What can you tell me about your bacon cooker? Is it an electric fry pan with a broiler lid? Does it show the temp of the pan?

    ReplyDelete