Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Pronghorn and Broken Bones

I was heading out Highway 83 to Empire Ranch in Sonoita Arizona.  It's one of my favorite places to spend some time for two reasons.  First, there's boon docking out there where RV friends Doug, along with Deb and Tom are hanging out for the next few days.  Second, it's the site of a huge cattle ranch from the days of Apaches and Cowboys.  I probably lived here in some other life.

The weather wasn't looking all that great as I turned into the property after having pulled over to let all those wide loads by.  It's no wonder the Indians fought for this land so hard.  It's just spectacular out here!


My first sight was a couple of cows making a beeline for the ranch house just over the hill.  Looks like one just became a momma and was now trying to catch up to the herd, although I never saw any others.  In no time they disappeared over the ridge.


About that time I looked up and saw these guys.  WOW!!  I've only seen one lone pronghorn here in the past.  There were FIVE!!  How lucky could I be!  I was snapping away with my camera when I spotted a truck coming towards me.  I flagged him to slow down ... I didn't want my photography "subjects" to disappear over the hill too.

He was looking for parts and pieces of a motorcycle rack that fell off on the road.  It happens I spotted it when I came in the gate.  He wasn't impressed with the antelope, but at least he drove off slowly.


He who has the biggest horns, rules the roost.  There were four males and only two females.  Reluctantly I drove on off down the road.


It's rather interesting to note that pronghorn antelope won't look at you.   Of course they all knew I was there, but were focused in some other direction the entire time.  Probably to facilitate their escape should I get too close.

I wandered on down the road to where I was stopped by a frantic guy in a Jeep.  An elderly gentlemen had just fallen off his bicycle while riding in the gravel down by the creek.  Uh oh ... that's not good.  I drove on down to find two ladies next to someone laying on the ground.

He seemed to be okay, but in a lot of pain.  It appeared he had broken his hip in a bad fall.  Folks ... bicycles are great for us old people if you are on paved roads.  Riding in gravel is just asking for trouble, which unfortunately found him.  We made him as comfortable as possible while he waited for the ambulance.  


At last I met up with the group.  Notice we all have coats on.  It was rather chilly and breezy, the sign of things to come.  Yuma of course had to have lots of pets and love.  He's such a sweet natured puppy!!


He would have jumped right in my truck if I let him!!  Suddenly a bird showed his face about a mile away and off he went like a shot!!  Of course he didn't even come close to the bird as it flew away, but he sure had fun trying.  He's looking for more belly rubs here!!

I think we solved all the world's problems after finally giving in to the cold and wind and heading inside.  I learned an awful lot about dry camping.  I have to say it's SO much easier in a big rig with an inverter.  Everything just WORKS without having to think about it!!  

At last it was getting late and the wind was really starting to howl!!  


Wasn't I surprised as I drove back out, the pronghorn antelope were STILL beside the road.  I think I got maybe another 100 pictures!!


Not really, but I took as many as they would let me because you never know if you will ever see them again.


This one finally turned his head to look at me, probably to say goodbye.


The storm came in and rain spattered my windshield as I drove out the gate back to civilization.  What I wouldn't give to live out there!!!


I'm back at the Lost Horse Ranch still looking for a generator.  I did order one, but it seems to be pretty elusive ... not even having been shipped in six days!!  SO frustrating!!!  In the meantime, maybe some chocolate cake slathered in chocolate frosting will make me feel better!!!


9 comments:

  1. The pronghorn are so beautiful! We used to have a lot of them in Winnemucca, not so much here. So sad about the gentleman breaking his hip :( Glad you got a visit in with Tom, Deb, and Doug :) Hopefully our generator gets here soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is only the second time I've seen them in almost five years. They sure are "purdy"!!

      Delete
  2. Wow. That was one crazy day. What beautiful animals. So sad about the bike accident. The last time I rode a bike.....that was the last time I road a bike. Never again. Sure hope the weather in this area warms up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt bad for him. I doubt he was much older than me. I guess we think we can do more than we really can. Luckily he was wearing a helmet or it could have been worse.

      Delete
  3. I 'love' my bike...no wheels and solid footing on our laminate floor. lol

    Pronghorns are strange animals...sometimes they are so elusive, other times they are just standing there without a care in the world (but always ready to take off if needed). The antelope that isn't an antelope but is best known as the American Antelope (Home on the range song)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha Dave. I love my TWO bikes, but haven't been on them in two years. Probably not such a bad thing.

      Delete
  4. My, that's just not fair Nancy. I've been here over a week now and havent seen any pronghorn and you come for a visit and see them everywhere 🤗 Enjoyed your surprise visit and you're welcome back anytime. Hope your generator comes in soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm cheering them on to get the generator in the mail. So far no luck!! It was certainly a shock to see the pronghorn .. and so MANY!!

      Delete
  5. Pronghorns field of vision is 320 degrees so they don't really need to look up and around that often as just like my wife they see everything!

    ReplyDelete