Tuesday, March 16, 2021

A Rather Weird Day

 Some days absolutely nothing happens in the high desert.  Other days it's just one thing after another.  Such was the case yesterday.  This guy stopped by for a short visit.  He doesn't look near as healthy as the others I've seen in the neighborhood.


Of course he's still a beauty in my book.  Or maybe it's SHE.  It must be a hard life trying to chase down those super fast bunny rabbits for dinner.


The morning blue hours after the snow storm have been fabulous to see.  I'm not sure what's going on with Mother Nature these days.  Isn't it supposed to be warm and sunny in Arizona in the winter?  


Somehow I think she got her wires crossed, because it's been very cold and windy with a few rain showers.


Okay, I put it off as long as I could.  Time to see if I can get water in the belly of the beast.  In my old rig there was only one valve.  City water or fill the tank.  I mean really, there are five pictures with descriptions that are SO complicated.  The City Water sticker is the only one recognizable and I know I don't want THAT one.

It's set on dry camping at the moment.  I finally just guessed and moved the knobs.  It took two water hoses hooked together to reach my hose bib.  Luckily I still had the pressure regulator.  I turned the water on oh so slowly until I heard it going into the tank.  Success!!!  

I only filled it up about 2/3 of the way.  They had this unit winterized for the trip here and I'm not sure they really cleaned the tank of the pink stuff.  The kids and I don't drink this water anyway.  We are all bottle babies.  I unhooked the hoses and turned the knobs back to the dry camping position.  Heaven help me when I need to dump the waste tanks!!


With that done, I decided to take a ride out to the Grasslands and say hello to Doug Laning and Deb and Tom who were camped out on the top of the hill.  Everything just seemed different, kind of weird, and I didn't know why.  Then I saw all the flashing lights ahead, I thought maybe an accident.

Instead, I was asked to pull completely off the highway.  Three more patrol cars went by, all with lights flashing.


And then THIS guy.  Yup ... that's a wide load for sure.  So wide he took up the entire highway.  There must have been TEN State Trooper and Sheriff vehicles in front of and behind, helping this guy down the steep narrow road to the highway.  Further up the hill, I ran into a SECOND truck hauling the same load.


ALMOST the best part of the day was running into a group of these guys about a half mile after turning off.  I'll post more pictures of these babies tomorrow.  I'm extremely blessed to have seen this group hanging out.


I didn't get much farther until I was flagged down a second time ... and once more for good luck!!  I'll explain that tomorrow too.

Yes I did finally hook up with Deb, Tom and Doug, but I have to steal Doug's pictures from his blog.  I was too busy talking and petting on Yuma to take pictures myself.


8 comments:

  1. Thanks for coming to visit. Didn't solve all the world's problems and didn't even fill your head with boondocking knowledge but it was a fun afternoon🤗 Been here a week with no pronghorn sightseeing and you see a herd on an afternoon visit. Glad you had your camera ready.😀 We need to get together still and try out my transportable solar setup with your rig.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great to see you guys again!! Hoping for another visit this week. Maybe turn the heat up a tad???? Hope you didn't freeze this morning.

      Delete
  2. You obviously figured out the way the knobs have to be for what ever function you are trying to do in regards to water in your RV. That's what the pictures are for. Head the warning about turning the knobs/valves when under pressure, either turn them before attaching the water hose or turn the tap off and open a tap to relieve pressure before turning the knob.
    To drain your black or grey holding tanks, just pull the handles at the bottom where it says black and grey. You also have a black tank flush system in your trailer, that is the black hose connection on the right, you ready know that white connection is for fresh water. We can talk later on the back flush system when you are ready to try it.
    Great to see you figuring things out and hope you get to try it out soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well lucky for me I turned the knobs before filling the tank. Thank you for the advice ... I never would have figured THAT out!!

      Delete
  3. What a nice surprise to have you show up for a visit. It was wonderful having the opportunity to sit and chat. Like you said, the time flies when you are having fun and the afternoon certainly did. Looking forward to the next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that was the fastest 3 hours EVER!! Loved visiting with you and the wine is delicious!!!!!!!

      Delete
  4. That is the weirdest water control set up I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty screwy, right? So many valves, so many ways to go wrong!!

      Delete