Monday, March 1, 2021

Guess Who Came To Dinner!!

Feels like 33 ..... and it IS.  What ever happened to the lovely Arizona weather we have grown accustomed to?  The low this morning is supposed to be 31, which might have led to the nighttime happenings on my patio.   You just never know what you will find when you wake up at 4:30.

As you can imagine, all of these guys are welcome at my house any time.   Luckily I spotted these two as I was heading to the back yard.  She's looking at me as I try to stealthily sneak past the glass door to grab my camera.  They were certainly drinking their fill.

The third one wandered up to the second smaller water station and drained it dry.  All of these girls were in great shape and looking their Sunday best.

Suddenly a FOURTH came up to the fence and hopped over into my yard.  Well that's a first for me!!  She made a beeline for my rose bushes.  One bush has died, I imagine from lack of sustenance and too much cold.  I had just fertilized them a month ago and they were finally growing beautiful little leaves instead of dead branches.

She picked off every little morsel.  Yes I could have scared them away, but you know I would rather have the deer than the rose bushes.  I let her browse.


That's when I spotted another little head reaching over the wall on the left.  Pretty soon THREE of them were chowing down.  


So much for my rose bushes!!  I suppose they needed to be pruned anyway!!

Suddenly she turned and jumped back over the fence.  Although they did take a gander at the other plants in the yard, the roses were the only suitable snack.


Once outside the fence, they all crowded around the far wall to gather the last few bits of leaves.  Apparently those taste better than the palo verde trees.  They hung around for about an hour before wandering off down the hill.  They made my day.


Yes I did take half the brisket to the Chance house, even though it turned out half the size of the original piece.  Dan's declaration that it was pretty tasty was a nice compliment for my first try.  Next time I'll grab the WHOLE brisket and set it up for an all-nighter.  Maybe I should try a smaller one again, since those big boys can cost over 50 buckaroos.  I'd hate to ruin all those dollars.  Weird, right?  The worst cuts of meat are now the most expensive?

So this morning, bright and early, I opened the door for the puppies and discovered THIS mess, right on my patio up against the house.  This would be an uninvited guest, and I would have given anything to see exactly WHO it was.

After some investigation, I think SOMEONE (could be coyote or more likely bobcat) caught a dove on the lawn.  I've never imagined ANYTHING coming into the yard except snakes and I had been told, deer.  Once it was caught, they carried it right up next to the house underneath a table two feet from my back door and chowed down.  Poor dove.

There was nothing left but two big piles of feathers.  In the interest of your breakfast, I didn't take a picture of the bad parts.  It's fascinating what goes on when you are asleep at night.  Nice of him/her to leave me this big mess to clean up before the puppies suck feathers up their noses.


This morning I'm off to LazyDays to hopefully have them check my electrical hookup for the trailer.  I'm getting both excited and nervous at the same time.  It's going to be a long week!!

12 comments:

  1. Could have been a Hawk...at Arny's a Hawk will get a Dove every now and then, feathers everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do hawks hunt at night? Really, could be anything. Wish I had my camera set up on the patio!!

      Delete
  2. Our town if full of feral cats, maybe you have one too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, we DO have one feral kitty. I completely forgot about him, mostly because I rarely EVER see him. Definitely could be!!

      Delete
  3. Let me make you feel better about your low temps...yesterday was 12 here, this morning 17..haha. Oh the poor bird..glad you didn't hear any screaming. I remember coming home when we lived in CA and finding our chickens ripped apart..it was a mountain lion. I'm excited for you and your new fifth wheel! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shiver every time I read your blog and see all your snow Shirley! I'd be hunkered down in front of a big fire!!

      Delete
  4. Well....you had a very eventful morning. What great pictures of the deer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly did Elva. You have to love the critters around here, considering it's pretty populated. Something new every day.

      Delete
  5. Fantastic pictures of the healthy and happy deer. Nice of you to let them eat your roses. I'm excited about your new 5th wheel. Can't wait till you have it parked in your RV garage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Doug ... me too!! There are bouts of "nervous" in between the anticipation, but I'm excited to get her home.

      Delete
  6. Why don’t you swing by a feed and grain store and pick up 2 Salt Lick blocks on a rope An tie it (high Enough the only they can get at it)around the tree she was rubbing up against Once they find that they’ll be there for a long time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of that Ed. We aren't supposed to feed the big animals, but I'll check into salt blocks. That's actually good for them and will last a long time.

      Delete