Friday, June 26, 2020

I Admit, I'm A Wimp

I try to avoid confrontation as much as possible.

When I was in high school and those three black girls decided to make me the brunt of their frustration from being forced to go to school, I tried my best to ignore them.  Even when they knocked me to the ground a couple of times, I just kept my mouth shut.  Over the years, things have happened so that today I hate even the smallest of confrontations.

Take for example that package of hamburger I bought at Raleys just two days ago.  I immediately opened the package to repackage it in two servings and got the slightest whiff of "spoiled".  I checked the date.  It CAN'T be, it looks great.  I cooked it ... and oh boy did I get a nose full of THAT smell.

At our cattle camp in the high Sierras, we had an old Indian gentleman that used to help with the pack string.  He dug in our storage pit covered by a steel trap door (to keep bears out) and came up with a piece of beef that had been there a couple of months.

He insisted on cooking it in the little wood oven.  OH MY GOODNESS!!  The smell was horrific.  It smelled just like my kitchen as I cooked this hamburger.  TO THE CEMETERY!!  I SHOULD have taken it back to Raleys and asked for my money back, but I'm too wimpy.
When it came to my glasses, I had the same thought.  I'll just deal with them.  I don't want any confrontations in returning them.  I wore them all day and all the next morning.  I was looking down so hard at the very bottom in order to read that I was going crosseyed.  In seconds, my eyes began to ache.

Should I take them back?  Maybe she was right, they'll be fine ..... for everything but reading.  I finally got up the nerve and returned to the store.  This time she measured, then had the guy mark exactly where the reading part began.  It was not far off, but I just couldn't read anything.  She really didn't want to fix them.  I'm such a wimp, I even offered to PAY for another pair.

Finally she said she would remake them and move the reading section up.  Thank goodness!!  I walked out feeling like it was all my fault.  Hopefully they will be ready for pickup today.
What better to make my wimpy self feel not so guilty, but PIZZA!  I keep seeing this in Air Fryer Groups all the time, so figured I would give it a shot.  It's a tortilla, smothered in WAY too much cheese!!
With no clue as to the timing, I stuck it in at 400 degrees and tried to keep an eye on it.  I put provolone on the bottom to keep the crust from getting soggy, just like Miss Terry taught me.  Whoa .... it turned out to be WAY too much cheese on such a small crust.  

Not wanting to clean up a cheesy mess in the bottom of the oven, I took it out a tad bit early.  Not bad if I do say so myself.  I was definitely not a wimp here, I ate the WHOLE thing!!
Probably the only thing I'm not a wimp about right now is wearing masks.  That's probably the black sheep in me.  Anyway, I did finally purchase one just in case I can't get in the grocery store.  It looks like something I wore swimming about 40 years ago. 

It's extremely hard for me to breathe with it on.  Shades of many things in my past.  Anyway ... the most interesting part is the total disclaimer on the package.  THIS MASK WILL NOT PREVENT YOU FROM GETTING THE COVID 19 VIRUS.  Love that part.
Happily there was no skunk in the back yard this morning, so I'm going out with the puppies into the 75 degree COOL to have my coffee and wait for my call to pick up my new glasses.  I may even take a little joy ride up into the mountains.








10 comments:

  1. Good for you getting your glasses remade. They had to remake my last pair (at no charge) for the same reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I'm spoiled. In 60 years, I've never had to have a pair remade. I guess there is always a first time.

      Delete
  2. Now this surprises me, you strike me as a very strong independent woman! Maybe it's the "you've got to pick your battles" rather than wimpy. This mask thing is totally out of control. Why 6 months later all mighty ruler??!! They just like the control over "their" people..uhhh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am all that .... sort of .... except when it comes to gardeners and glasses! LOL

      Delete
  3. The Mask will not totally protect you from the Virus but will give you some as well as protecting those around you. The Masks should have been implemented at the start but when they didn't have enough PPE for the front line workers they discouraged it. Watched a special about the Virus on different channels yesterday and Medical Professionals were pleading that people listen to them and not the Politicians.
    Glad you got your glasses fixed.
    Be Safe and Enjoy life with a better view.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been trying to listen to the Doctors, but they were the first to say wearing the masks won't help. So now now one knows who to believe.

      Delete
  4. We have that in common, to a point, about returning things. As for hamburger/steaks at grocery stores, they seal it with special gas (harmless amounts of carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide and nitrogen) which keeps the meat looking fresh and bright red despite how old the meat is. I can normally spot it, but sometimes you don't know until you open it and turn it over and see the brown.

    I have worn a mask more in the past 3 days than I have since I last went trick-or-treating. I HATE it! It does NOTHING but give the King a swelled head. I KNOW Newsom is thinking, "I can get these fools to do anything in the name of safety." Hmmmm. I think in WW2 people were removed from their homes and put on trains in the name of "Safety". Then they were sent to the showers in the name of "Safety". Millions died...at least that is MY history, but today's kids are not taught that history....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I think alike Dave!!!! I've had the exact same thoughts.

      Delete
  5. I hate it when I don't proofread
    Exercise your right for a perfect fit on your glasses that's part of your guarantee if Your optometrist did the job correctly and the manufacturer did their job correctly you should have a perfect fit
    When you go for your glasses replacement the next time have a person measure and see if it's in the specifications of your optometrist if not send the damn things back if you have any doubt or vision impairment take those glasses and your prescription back to your optometrist and get a verification from him
    As for your hamburger take a picture of it and you receivego into customer service and tell them that it wasn't right they'll give you credit or your money back because of the virus they don't want u to bring food back into the store so your word an your receipt and a picture it will back you up
    PS if you have that kind of money to Wast please send to my house 💵 Here's is the first dollar installment
    As for the mask it's all a psychological illusion to make you think you're safe

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of taking a picture! Good idea. I will definitely do that next time!! It smelled so awful I couldn't get it in the cemetery fast enough! LOL

      Delete